Cooling solution for Socket A

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jozi

Cooling solution for Socket A

Post by jozi » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:19 pm

I'm looking for a cooling solution for a athlone xp 2500 mobile on a Asus A7N8X-E DLX mobo.
I have a thermaltake volcano 12 that i could use, not sure what its like other than it sounding like a hoover with the fan at full tilt.
So, new fan or HS & Fan combo?

Jozi

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:59 pm

Hi, having looked at Tt's website I think the fins are too tightly packed for really good, really quiet operation. Having said that if you've got some other 80mm fans you could try them at various voltages/speeds to see if there is enough cooling for your CPU. I would guess that a Mobile 2500+ isn't a terribly hot chip, what's the core voltage? If you find that a slower fan is good enough then you can look for a good 80mm fan. I would suspec that a Nexus is too slow but Yate Loon 80mm fans highly rated, there's a 2000rpm model that might be good for you.
I've got a Zalman 7000Cu on overclocked/overvolted XP2500+ and it provides enough cooling at minimum speed 1350rpm and less.
The Thermalright Si-97 is probably one of the best Socket A coolers.
There are various tower sinks that fit SoA as, I think, does the Tt big typhoon.
Rather lower budget, if you can find one, I've had good results in "low noise" (as opposed to seriously quiet) PCs with Arctic Cooling copper silent 2TC (the TC models add temperature controlled fan, good if don't have/want a manual fan controller)
Seb

mattthemuppet
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by mattthemuppet » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:43 pm

I've posted several times elsewhere on SktA coolers, so I won't go into detail, but if a simple fan swap doesn't work, then Artic Cooling, Scythe Katana and Thermalright SI-97A are highly recommended (in order of price and possible performance).

omega_1

Post by omega_1 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:44 pm

get a slk900a if you can find one, i got mine for 20$ like 2 years ago, still cools my barton 2500+ fine with a low rpm 80mm fan.

Fat Bunny

Socket 'A' Heatsinks

Post by Fat Bunny » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:19 pm

Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu. The earlier model was the favourite around here for a long time and is cooling the XP2500M I am writing this with. You have to be carefull with the placement of the socket if there is no space between the motherboard and PSU in your case.

cpemma

Post by cpemma » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:43 am

SebRad wrote:Rather lower budget, if you can find one, I've had good results in "low noise" (as opposed to seriously quiet) PCs with Arctic Cooling copper silent 2TC (the TC models add temperature controlled fan, good if don't have/want a manual fan controller)
Seb
I'm using that on a Sempron 2600+, spinning away at 790RPM at the moment (according to Speedfan :? ) and almost silent. You do trade away some effectiveness, the CPU's showing 48C but it doesn't go much higher under load, the fan just speeds up to compensate.

A nice HSF, but AFAIK they're now discontinued. :(

SPCR review here.

Pilot

Post by Pilot » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:58 am

Hi jozi,

I have a few questions slightly o/t: the A7N8... neither allows changing the multiplier on the fly, nor it allows undervolting. What it the voltage you get with a mobile XP2500 ? The one of a desktop XP2500 or a lower one ?

Is your CPU correctly recognized by the mobo ? I don't doubt it is supported, but can you take any advantage of it being a mobile version ? (say multiplier on the fly, lower voltage or voltage changing) On a few occasions I could have a mobile xp2500 but i hesitated as i thought the voltage would be the one of a desktop one, and thus would make it overheat.

As for the HS, i have a SI-97A and swapping it has never ever come to my mind...

Big Pimp Daddy

Post by Big Pimp Daddy » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:48 am

Pilot : The A7N8X does in fact allow undervolting, the BIOS seems to only allow overvolting, but if you use 8rdavcore or other software, you can undervolt by quite a large amount compared to a desktop chip. From what I remember, my A7N8X deluxe didn't recognise my mobile chip and set it to 6x100Mhz @ 1.2v, I simply changed the fsb and multiplier in the BIOS and set the voltage with 8rdavcore in windows. So yes, you can take advantage of it being a mobile chip, aside from ther fact that you can get XP3200+ speeds at lower voltage, and the financial incentives over an XP3200+, you also have an unlocked multiplier, should you feel like doing some serious overclocking.

jozi

Post by jozi » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:13 am

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think ill see how thheatsink i have now works with a more quiet fan when i get round to doing a build.

It's been over a year since i used the cpu and i cant remember what the voltages where. I know i was able to overclock it by a large amount with just a little bit of extra voltage. Highest i got it up to (stable) was 2.4ghz with reasonble good temps to. i think i ran it at 2.5 as well but that became unstable when i added a 2nd stick of ram.

Pilot

Post by Pilot » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:50 am

Big Pimp Daddy: I overlooked the mobo: A7N8X-E DLX and A7N8X-X are quite different. 8rdavcore cannot change vcore on the latter while there is no problem for the deluxe one. Trats modded bios allows recognition for mobile cpu also.