quietest SFF PC AM2 socket CPU cooler?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

kenyee

quietest SFF PC AM2 socket CPU cooler?

Post by kenyee » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:16 pm

With Socket 939, it was a no-brainer with the Zalman CNPS7000. It just fit into an X-QPack or Microfly case..

Any obvious choices for AM2 mATX motherboards yet? Most of the AM2 coolers seem to be the giant tower variety and SPCR didn't exactly give a glowing review to the Zalman CNPS8000 which I though might have been the obvious choice :-P

debaser

Post by debaser » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:48 am

ive read on another forum that thermaltakes blue orb II is a very good choice

kenyee

don't think the Thermaltake Blue Orb II fits AM2 sockets

Post by kenyee » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:07 am

If you look at the mounting mechanism, it's extremely similar to what Zalman does w/ their 7000/7700. It's a new mounting plate and screws that go into it. This only works for Socket 939 (also confirmed on Thermaltake's web site which doesn't mention AM2)...

debaser

Post by debaser » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:02 am

apologies, you are correct that it is only for socket 939 :(

ijozic

Post by ijozic » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:07 am

debaser wrote:apologies, you are correct that it is only for socket 939 :(
Err.. Not completely true. There is (will be?) a new version with some adapters which is compatible with AM2.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/image.htm ... 80X2wuanBn

Link to the whole review:
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.h ... VzaWFzdA==

kenyee

Post by kenyee » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:52 am

Thanks, ijozic. I didn't even know Thermaltake released an AM2 adapter for their Blue Orb. I've been bugging Zalman, but they have no intention of releasing one for their CNPS7000 but now that they have competition, maybe they'll rethink it ;-)
In the meantime, looks like I finally have what I need for my SFF AM2 build... :-)

ijozic

Post by ijozic » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:17 pm

kenyee wrote:Thanks, ijozic. I didn't even know Thermaltake released an AM2 adapter for their Blue Orb. I've been bugging Zalman, but they have no intention of releasing one for their CNPS7000 but now that they have competition, maybe they'll rethink it ;-)
In the meantime, looks like I finally have what I need for my SFF AM2 build... :-)
I hope it's readily available and that it won't take months for the traders to restock their Blue Orbs with this improved version because it's not like there's any mention of it on the Thermaltake website!? I also tried to post them a question regarding the order of the adapter only if I bought regular Blue Orb II but I didn't receive no answer. Perhaps I should bug them some more.

BTW, I 've been bugging Zalman also (so I could mount the 7700AlCu or perhaps even that Fatality thing on my M2N-SLI so it cools my heatpipe cooler and RAM) and in the emails I received, I was assured that they are making some adapter for the 9500 cooler. When I said that I know there is a 9500 AM2 version, the guy said that they will put out an adapter for the regular 9500 version!? (which I guess would also suit the 7700 series). I found this rather strange (but perhaps people prefer the copper coloured regular 9500 without the LED or smth, who knows) so I still doubt it will happen.