Silent, low profile cooler (max height 75mm) for c2d

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

igor123

Silent, low profile cooler (max height 75mm) for c2d

Post by igor123 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:30 am

Hello,
I need a cooler for E4500, Gigabyte G33-S2H mobo. The problem is, I have low profile case so the cooler can't be more than 75mm in height. The silence is priority.

I was looking at some zalman models (CNPS8700 for example, which I believe it could fit nicely) but some reviews I read says they're rather noisy :(

Is there some silent cooler that coud fit, but without replacing the fan? If not, how hard is to replace stock fan on these things?

George van Kralingen

Post by George van Kralingen » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:14 am

Hi,
Coolmaster has a new very silent cooler.

It's the Vortex 752 which is more silent compared to Zalman. The fan is 92x92x25 and is really very silent.

igor123

Post by igor123 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:02 am

Thanks for reply.
George van Kralingen wrote:Vortex 752
It's 75.4mm tall, a very tight fit, if at all (maybe this 0.4mm can be shaved off :twisted:). Unfortunately, its not available where I live.

Now I was looking at Thermaltake Golden Orb II, a little older, but supposed to be quiet. Vertically it should fit, horizontally - I'm not quite sure (will have to wait for my mobo to arrive to measure it...). Anyone have this cooler to share impressions?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:08 pm

igor123 wrote:Unfortunately, its not available where I live.
Hey, do yourself and everyone trying to help you a favor:

Why don't you -- and everyone else who asks about what to buy -- post your location in your profile??? No secret police will come after you if you post this info, and it'll make giving relevant advice so much easier. Really.

igor123

Post by igor123 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:11 pm

MikeC wrote:Why don't you -- and everyone else who asks about what to buy -- post your location in your profile??? No secret police will come after you if you post this info, and it'll make giving relevant advice so much easier. Really.
Forgive a noob, it's really not a secret, but I highly doubt anyone trying to help will want or be able to check availability of some product for a small country such as Croatia (unless they live here too).

AuraAllan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by AuraAllan » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:09 am

igor123 wrote:Forgive a noob, it's really not a secret, but I highly doubt anyone trying to help will want or be able to check availability of some product for a small country such as Croatia (unless they live here too).
I remeber seeing atleast a few others from Croatia.

Such a small country?
Im from Denmark and im not even close to being the only Dane on SPCR.

Back to topic :)

Tomson

Post by Tomson » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:38 pm

igor123: maybe someone who lives close, who knows the marker could help you out. :wink:

Aris

Post by Aris » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:28 pm

i actually researched this topic quite a bit about a year ago

Best option i could find was the Zalman 7000 ALCU

I know its fairly old, but its quiet and now that TDP's on CPU's has come back down, is actually suffecient for modern processors. Plus it will fit under 70mm clearance.

wwenze

Post by wwenze » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:45 pm

Aris wrote:i actually researched this topic quite a bit about a year ago

I know its fairly old, but its quiet and now that TDP's on CPU's has come back down, is actually suffecient for modern processors. Plus it will fit under 70mm clearance.
But you need to find some way to fit it on a C2D mainboard.

And the solution is thermalright's 775 mounting or the mounting given with Scythe Ninja v1, basically converts 775 to 478. :)

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:50 pm

wwenze wrote:
Aris wrote:i actually researched this topic quite a bit about a year ago

But you need to find some way to fit it on a C2D mainboard.

And the solution is thermalright's 775 mounting or the mounting given with Scythe Ninja v1, basically converts 775 to 478. :)
The Zalman 7000s have come with 775 mounting for quite some time.

igor123

Post by igor123 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:01 am

Thanks for your replies guys.

Zalman 7000 is an option, I don't care if it is a bit older, if it gets the job done. Now, between Zalman 7000 and Thermaltake Golden Orb II I don't know which is more silent? I found some very good reviews for the Orb (although this is not very popular cooler arund here)...

Mats

Post by Mats » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:39 am

The CNPS7500 is a newer Zalman model, 67 mm high. Check out Zalmans site.

You may have better luck finding components in other countries, maybe Italy, Germany or Austria.

George van Kralingen

Post by George van Kralingen » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:10 am

Hi
I the have Zalman 7500 overhere and also A copycat from NorthQ. Both have excellent heatsinks but both 92 mm fans are quite noisy and I only use them with 45 watt CPU running at 5 Volts !

Review : http://www.silentpcreview.com/article761-page5.html

The Zalman can be made silent if you are willing to change the fan !

How this can be done you can read here :

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article284-page1.html

The only problem is that I haven't found a really silent 92 mm Fan !

But perhaps the new Noctua 92mm fan is able to do the job. That one comes out in January.

George

Tomson

Post by Tomson » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:41 pm

You mean Noctua NH-U9F CPU cooler or just the fan?

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=prod ... =10&lng=en

I just got CPU cooler NH-U9F which comes with 92mm fan. Will install it tomorrow and let you know.

Tomson

Post by Tomson » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:06 am

Well I have installed Noctua NH-U9F cpu cooler.

I was blown away. In a good sence. :D

I have never "not hear" a 90mm vent until now! It's so quiet... I really like it.

The only way I can hear it is to open the case and have my ears 1cm near it. Even the noise it produces is not a noise really, more like a breath.

Very happy with it.

derekva

Post by derekva » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:33 pm

The Thermalright XP-90C is 75mm tall and will work on a Socket 775 CPU, but I'm not sure it will be sufficient to cool your CPU passively. I know it works fine on Socket M Core 2 Duo CPUs passively, though.

-D

cyberspacegenie

Post by cyberspacegenie » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:56 am

@igor123 - did you manage to find a heatsink in the end? I am also looking for something around the same size. I have a zalman cpns8000 at the moment and I'm not happy with it. On low it is quite quiet but the cooling is terrible. On high the cooling is better but its like having a small helicopter in the room. Gonna try replacing the fan, but looking for other options too.

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Re: Silent, low profile cooler (max height 75mm) for c2d

Post by merlin » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:49 am

igor123 wrote:Hello,
I need a cooler for E4500, Gigabyte G33-S2H mobo. The problem is, I have low profile case so the cooler can't be more than 75mm in height. The silence is priority.

I was looking at some zalman models (CNPS8700 for example, which I believe it could fit nicely) but some reviews I read says they're rather noisy :(

Is there some silent cooler that coud fit, but without replacing the fan? If not, how hard is to replace stock fan on these things?
The zalman 7000 series is plenty fine for non-oc and not extremely quiet systems for myself. It's certainly not silent, but the noise signature isn't bad at 5v. I'm using one at minimum rpm and it keeps my cpu cool enough to not be concerned. What other noise making components are you looking at?

igor123

Post by igor123 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:03 am

cyberspacegenie wrote:@igor123 - did you manage to find a heatsink in the end?
Nope. Not yet :)

The case I ordered still haven't arrived, and I'd like to measure the exact horizontal clearance between processor and side of the case before buying - it'll be a tight fit.

But, on the bright side I just bought myself a brand new E8200! 8) It's fast and runs very cool, so whichever heatsink I buy will have its fan speed set to minimum and still be able to keep temperature under control.

The most probable candidate is still Golden Orb II. Apparently, it generates only 17dba of noise (massive copper heatsink + low speed fan). The only negative thing about it is just average cooling performance - but it still cools a few degrees better than stock heatsink. Well, with cool E8200 I'll take that silence over performance anytime.

Mariner
Friend of SPCR

Post by Mariner » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:17 am

igor123 wrote:The most probable candidate is still Golden Orb II. Apparently, it generates only 17dba of noise (massive copper heatsink + low speed fan). The only negative thing about it is just average cooling performance - but it still cools a few degrees better than stock heatsink. Well, with cool E8200 I'll take that silence over performance anytime.
Bear in mind that you should take Thermaltake's claims about noise measurements with a very, very large pinch of salt. There's little chance of it actually being just 17dB - it is very likely to be much louder. That heatsink is actually aluminium as well, by the way - not copper.

igor123

Re: Silent, low profile cooler (max height 75mm) for c2d

Post by igor123 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:20 am

merlin wrote:What other noise making components are you looking at?
- Gigabyte G33M-S2H board is passively cooled with integrated graphics. No noise.
- I don't have dedicated graphic card, no noise.
- One 2.5" notebook drive.
- Two 40mm ball bearing case fans - they are supposed to be quiet, if we'll trust a few reviews on the net.
- One 80mm Fortron PSU fan. The system will not be power hog, so I hope less load on PSU => PSU is cooler => PSU fan keeps its mouth shut, err.. speed down.

That's about it. I expect it to be whispering quiet.

igor123

Post by igor123 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:32 am

Mariner wrote:Bear in mind that you should take Thermaltake's claims about noise measurements with a very, very large pinch of salt. There's little chance of it actually being just 17dB - it is very likely to be much louder.
I'll keep that in mind. But quite a few reviews I read also stated that it actually is very quiet... but as you said, probably not 17dB.

If this cooler was not so old, I'd say SPCR should review it, so we can know for sure :wink:

Bugsi

Post by Bugsi » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:22 am

My first reaction was to recommend you try the CNPS8700, which I see you already mentioned, but are worried about fan noise. I use one in an Antec Minuet case for an HTPC that sits on a table next to my HDTV and it does a fine job, however it is a little audible, but not terribly so. I wish you had the luxury of trying several different coolers so you could report back with results, but that could get expensive if you're in Croatia!

I also recently bought the SilenX iXtrema IXC-120C for an older Socket A computer, and I'll go as far as saying it's something like a clone of the CNPS8700, measures 66mm high, and comes with mounting hardware for a wide range of new and old processors. I find it to be noticeably quieter than the CNPS8700, although for an ideal test I'd want to put it into the Minuet case and test it there. Instead, I use it in an Antec Solo case, but even with the side off, if I stop the fan I hear no "noise stop" indicating its quietness, to me at any rate. SilenX has a deservedly bad business reputation on this board, but having said that, their fans and coolers that I've used have all been very satisfactory. The IXC-120C also comes with a fan controller, so you can slow down the 120mm fan if you felt you needed more control. (I didn't need to use it in my build.)

I realize I come off as sounding like a sales ad for SilenX, but I do not have any connection with them in any way, other than I've used a few of their fans, one CPU cooler, and one chipset cooler in builds where I had difficulty finding any product by any company that fit my particular needs. In the case of the IXC-120 I wanted a modern cooling solution for a socket-A CPU. (In fact I wanted a Thermalright SI-97 if I could find anyone still selling them.)