Where to buy Thermalright XP-120?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

zenith

Where to buy Thermalright XP-120?

Post by zenith » Sat May 24, 2008 10:22 am

I am wondering where I can find this cooler. I do have a LGA775 adapter kit, just need the heatsink. It has been my favourite for the last years. It is low weight, low height and cools very well. I like to avoid a huge cantilever effect that bends my motherboard, so even if some of the more extreme coolers from Thermalright (and others) look very well, I want to be on the safe side.

Right now it seems that it is difficult to find in stock. Could it be that it is discontinued? I am looking for an online store that might support international shipping (I live in Norway). But I guess, just finding this item in stock is the first priority :)

Thank you for your input.

potsy

Post by potsy » Sat May 24, 2008 1:44 pm

Here's one in Germany: ebay item 300225908815

Or you could ask this seller if they'll post to you: ebay item 150250572038

Also my neighbour builds computers from home for a living (ailean online) and had some in stock a year or so ago. I'll ask him if he's got one left.

Potsy

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Sat May 24, 2008 2:19 pm

XP-120 available here.

zenith

Post by zenith » Sun May 25, 2008 3:44 pm

Thanks for your input guys. Unfortunately, Heatsinkfactory only ships within United States :(

Potsy: Thanks for the ebay links. The german auction just ended before I had a chance to ask or bid on the item, but I will check out other auctions from Germany. I had already been in touch with the guy from the states, he does not ship to my country. I might get in touch with you if nothing else works out.

potsy

Post by potsy » Sun May 25, 2008 6:10 pm

Yep, I don't know why but I've often found Americans won't ship os. Everywhere else in the world people don't care where the item goes as long as the cash is in the bank.

clalor

Post by clalor » Sun May 25, 2008 8:59 pm

Check with SVC to see if they'll accept international orders. I just ordered an XP-120 from them a few weeks ago (I'm in the US).

aztec

Post by aztec » Sun May 25, 2008 9:30 pm

Ships overseas.

Very reputable. I've bought tons of stuff from them.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... lter_id=28

bgavin

Post by bgavin » Mon May 26, 2008 6:43 am

Is there any reason for wanting the XP-120 instead of the SI-128SE?

zenith

Post by zenith » Mon May 26, 2008 7:57 am

bgavin wrote:Is there any reason for wanting the XP-120 instead of the SI-128SE?
Good point. I didn't consider the SI-128SE either, because it is also not in stock where I live. But since I am going to order one of those from abroad anway, probably from the store aztec mentioned, maybe it is better to go for the SI-128SE?

Just read the review of the SI-128 and it is very similar compared to XP-120. The mounting system on the SE looks very good too, and I guess the space constraints are about the same.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Mon May 26, 2008 10:34 am

AS 128 SE user ( I have used it on AM2 and currently in LGA 775 ) You need to make slight ghetto mod for it. It has a attachment bar, which attaches cooler via nod and two screws. That allows cooler to be rotated. I used small piece of rubber between cooler and bar now it barely can be rotated after fully tighten.

That cooler installation needs quite a lot care install. It has lot's of parts so it takes about 20 to 30 mins to install 128 SE cooler. But its wellworth of the time spending for it. Its very good cooler.

zenith

Post by zenith » Tue May 27, 2008 2:18 am

Thanks for the information about the 128SE, the mounting system does not look so impressive afterall. Anyway, I guess it is better to go with either the tried and tested XP-120: I already sent e-mails to some of the shops listed here :)

If it does not work out, I am going to take the plunge and probably give the Enzotech Ultra-X a try, even if it is not reviewed here at SPC yet :( It is a bit heavy, but looks very promising and just became available here where I live. Mounting a silent fan on it should be easy.

bgavin

Post by bgavin » Tue May 27, 2008 7:45 am

The only problem I had with that one is the lack of support on the other side of the sink. I personally do not care for down draft coolers that are support on one side only. Too much lever action, and an easier tendency to break one of the heat pipes and ruining the cooler.

I also do not care for the SI-128SE mounting system and the ability to swivel under the retaining bracket. I opted for the Scythe Zipang instead. It offers the same cooling ability as the SI128-SE. It can be rotated in all four directions, and is supported on both sides of the cooler, plus the center section.

At present, the push-pin mounting system is less than optimal. You can do the LGA-775 bolt-through kit, but it is not easy. I understand Scythe is preparing to release a new bolt-through kit that is more satisfactory than their Universal Kit. A bolt-through kit with hex head bolts will do the job on the Zipang and others with tight clearance.

BTW, with the same fan, Zipang will outcool the SI128-SE. FrostyTech tests show the 85w delta the same for both. The SI had a 1200rpm fan, and the Zipang was running its anemic stock fan (mine run at 900 rpm). I replace them with Red Scorpion fans at 1200, and they cool very well, with minimal noise.

charonme

si-128 SE is too high

Post by charonme » Thu May 29, 2008 11:25 pm

si-128 SE is too high (91.5mm) compared to xp-120 (61mm) but anyway you should wait for the AXP-140 ;)

bgavin

Post by bgavin » Sat May 31, 2008 3:51 pm

I suspect the AXP-140 will outcool the Zipang with the same fan.

Both have 12 segments, but the AXP-140 has more segments in the area where the fan produces the higher pressure and velocity. The Zipang concentrates its heat pipes more in the center under the fan dead spot. It almost looks like the Zipang width was a marketing after-thought to use a 140mm fan on a 120mm heat sink.

Hopefully Thermalright will have their act together and offer a flat base on the AXP-140, and a decent mounting mechanism. IMO, the push-pin mounting system used by the Zipang is its only weakness. I understand Scythe is preparing to release a new mounting kit "soon". That would be nice indeed.

My vendor tells me the Evercool EC-14025x12E line of fluid bearing 140mm fans will be coming available in June. That will expand greatly the number of fan speeds available in 140mm.