TRUE and Noctua S-12, bad temp

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JockeII

TRUE and Noctua S-12, bad temp

Post by JockeII » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:33 am

Antec Solo case with Noctua S-12 in 900RPM for outtake. GA-EP35-DS4 mobo with E8400 CPU, not overclocked and EIST and C1 disabled in bios. Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme with a Noctua S-12 going in 900RPM on the CPU.

After an hour or so the CPU is 37-38C, and Core 1/2 45-46C and there they stay. Shouldn't they be cooler than so?

The thing is, my TRUE is tilting a bit in the case, and can be pushed up a little bit which probably shows that it isn't on perfect. But I screwed it as hard as I possibly could.
Do you think it would help with the "coin-trick"?

Also, why won't my Noctuas go lower than 900RPM? They are the 1200RPM version, and I use a Scythe Kama Meter to control them. At 900 they stop and won't go any lower. Is it the Kama Meter or the Noctuas that are the limit?

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:36 am

Problem is that TRUE has tight finspace and Noctua lacks the static pressure pushing air thru fins. You may want to try more higher impedance fan like Scythe Slipstream or Scythe S-flex.

Modo

Post by Modo » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:40 am

The tilting definately doesn't sound right. Have you tried running the PC on the side, so that the TRUE pushes itself onto the CPU? If the temps change, you'll know for sure what to do.

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:49 am

Are you sure you haven't cross threaded the spring-loaded bolts that go into the backplate? You should be turning those screws about 5-6 full turns before they tighten up.

How much is "a bit"? My TRUE also sags a small amount, but that's purely due to the slight bending of the motherboard in my case (which I need to do something about). My range of motion of the heatpipes on my true is about 2-3mm up and down.

You're right about something not being kosher here. I've got my Q6700 undervolted to 1.14V, and my TRUE has a 500RPM Slipstream fan on it. My load Core temperatures never go above 42C (unless it's really warm in the room). Which reminds me... what's the ambient temperature in the room? That 42C gives me about 20-22C above ambient for where I live.

JockeII

Post by JockeII » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:19 pm

Shouldn't the static pressure of a Noctua and an S-Flex be around the same at the same RPM?

I'll try to post a picture of how much the tilting is tomorrow, it is not very much but since I actually can push it up little bit I guess it isn't as it should.

With the computer on for about an hour or two the temperature in the room usually is 26-28C.

The thing is, it is not like I really mind the temperature of the CPU since it doesn't affect me in anyway. But I will most likely be considering overclocking to 3,6ghz or so since it feels like a waste to have an E8400 with a TRUE and not overclocking. And even if I didn't overclock, the TRUE feels pretty wasted if I have temps like that. Also I haven't really seen the temps during load either. I haven't had time to test very much since I am busy with my new job and other things.

By the way, what is the original RPM of that Slipstream that you have on 500? I am very irritated that my Noctuas won't go below 900.

Mrc112

Post by Mrc112 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:22 am

JockeII wrote:By the way, what is the original RPM of that Slipstream that you have on 500? I am very irritated that my Noctuas won't go below 900.
It's also possible that the fault for this lies with the kama meter, not the noctua's. More so: if this was a problem with the noctua's, it would be mentioned here on SPCR when they reviewed the noctua's.
Untill now, I could not find any information on the voltage range of the kama meter, which also seems suspicious to me :)

You could always go for a scythe kaze master (which has a far greater voltage reach & can even turn off the fan) in stead of the kama meter

walle

Post by walle » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:55 am

Hi,

Could it be that since you cant go below 900RPM the Kama Meter is spanning between ~7 and 12V ?, I did a quick check last night on Scythes homepage but there was no information to be found, so its just a guess.

Edit

Don’t take this the wrong way but could it possibly be so that you perhaps used one of them noise adaptors prior to connecting the fan to the fan controller ? because fan controllers (that I have encountered and have experience with) have all spanned between ~5 and 12V, with the exceptions of the Sunbeam Rheobus and the T-balancer, thou not to say that there are no others out there, but those are the ones I know of.

hello? well, hi, ( :P )

Just learned about the Kaze Master, so three of them then.

Xuestor

Post by Xuestor » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:45 am

All of my Noctua S-12 starts at about 400 rpm or so. The adapter that comes with the fan drops the rpm to about 600 if I remember correctly. So the 900 rpm issue is likely cause of the fancontroller. I had a E6850 cooled with TRUE and S-12 at 600 rpm, and that got me temp at about 20 over ambient, so i think you should try the cointrick. Just remember to Cross-fasten the screws, so that U get an even pressure.

JockeII

Post by JockeII » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:04 pm

There came an adapter with the Noctua S-12 that lowers the RPM? There was some cables but I didn't pay much mind to them, guess I'll have to try with that then.

The Kama Meter is pretty popular I believe, and it looks so very nice so if possible I would really like to use it. Also, otherwise I will have wasted $80 on it.

By the way, what do you mean by cross-fastening?

walle

Post by walle » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:26 pm

Picture an X with a screw in each end right, you tightened the screws evenly going from one corner to the opposite one, hence cross-fastening. For instance; from upper left to lower right and from lower left to upper right.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:44 am

After an hour or so the CPU is 37-38C, and Core 1/2 45-46C and there they stay. Shouldn't they be cooler than so?
seeing as you've (inadvisedly) disabled EIST & C1, no that's normal. CPU is running full speed all the time.

lethul

Post by lethul » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:44 pm

Modo wrote:The tilting definately doesn't sound right. Have you tried running the PC on the side, so that the TRUE pushes itself onto the CPU? If the temps change, you'll know for sure what to do.
That wont work cause tower coolers get higher temps if they are in an horizontal position compared to vertical.

Modo

Post by Modo » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:12 pm

lethul wrote:
Modo wrote:The tilting definately doesn't sound right. Have you tried running the PC on the side, so that the TRUE pushes itself onto the CPU? If the temps change, you'll know for sure what to do.
That wont work cause tower coolers get higher temps if they are in an horizontal position compared to vertical.
Hey, I'm not suggesting running it without a fan. ;)

JockeII

Post by JockeII » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:16 pm

Thanks alot for the great answers guys. I got my Noctuas down to 600 RPM now, under that and the Kama Meter loses control of them which makes them go under 400 = the Kama Meter goes into warningmode = beeping and flashing. Wish I could turn it off but well, 600 is pretty much unaudible so.
And thanks to X-fastening the TRUE it is on much better now. Still the same temp though, but that is because the airflow is so low now. Gonna start using EIST too, so it'll be great.

Now the only thing left is to change the cooling on my 8800GT to an Artic Cooling S1 Rev2. Anyone got any advice regarding a fan for it? An 80mm will fit best I guess? I want a very quiet and slowgoing one of course. Also I would like some advice for heatsinks (or whatever it is called) for the memory on the 8800GT. I've heard that the ones that come with the S1 is pretty bad.
Btw, how do you attach the fan to the S1? Using four of those "plastic clips" that I see in most pictures around here? Anyone have any idea what they are called, need to find them in some hardware store around here I guess.

Xuestor

Post by Xuestor » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:11 pm

You can actually fit 2 120 mm fans on there, (although there might be some overhang by say 1-2 mm) something like 500rpm scythe fans should do it, for easy cablecontrol (no extra adapters and so). The plastic thingies are called zip-ties.

The vga chipset coolers aren't that bad, just remember to clean the memories VERY well with some type of alcohol (I use acethone, works good enough for me).

Once they have fastened on there, they cool just as good as any other vga ram coolers (zalmans etc.)

JockeII

Post by JockeII » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:00 am

Hmm, maybe I don't have to get any VGA chipset coolers at all. Because I bought the 8800GT Zilent from MSI, with an Zalman VF1000 on it. I think there already are pretty good chipset coolers from Zalman on it.

Do you think another Noctua S-12 will work for the Accelero S1? I think I've read that the Noctua doesn't work very well horizontally, is this true?
Anyone got a fan to recommend? A fan that can go as low as 600 at least.

Xuestor

Post by Xuestor » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:56 am

JockeII wrote:Hmm, maybe I don't have to get any VGA chipset coolers at all. Because I bought the 8800GT Zilent from MSI, with an Zalman VF1000 on it. I think there already are pretty good chipset coolers from Zalman on it.

Do you think another Noctua S-12 will work for the Accelero S1? I think I've read that the Noctua doesn't work very well horizontally, is this true?
Anyone got a fan to recommend? A fan that can go as low as 600 at least.
Then the Scythe Slipstream 500rpm should do it

JockeII

Post by JockeII » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:37 am

And the Scythe Slip Stream is a good and quiet fan which won't sound more than my Noctuas?

Maybe it would be better to get the Slip Stream 800 and undervolt it to 600? Since that is the speed my Noctuas is running.

Xuestor

Post by Xuestor » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:20 pm

JockeII wrote:And the Scythe Slip Stream is a good and quiet fan which won't sound more than my Noctuas?

Maybe it would be better to get the Slip Stream 800 and undervolt it to 600? Since that is the speed my Noctuas is running.
Don't know. I do have an undervolted 800 slipstream that is completely silent, but I think the 500's will be silent aswell.

JockeII

Post by JockeII » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:29 am

The Slip Stream is going out of stock everywhere and is replaced by the S-Flex, so I bought the S-Flex 800 to use with my S1.