Need a cpu cooler for GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

machoboy6

Need a cpu cooler for GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P

Post by machoboy6 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:46 am

Im planning on getting an e8400 (E0) and overclocking it to 4ghz. I was set on getting the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 but then read some reviews that it won't fit this board. Are there any alternatives that matches the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 in performance and price?

godprobe

Post by godprobe » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:05 pm

Hey macho,
Just bought the same proc and mobo today.

I've been researching my new comp for about half a year, and had been set on the Scythe Ninja for whatever reasons and ended up buying the Ninja 2. From what I've read since, that was probably a mistake. So now I'm probably going with a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (aka TRUE), based on the recommended cpu coolers on this site. I would get the Black edition for the extra fan clip and color, but I'd rather just get the Ultra at EndPcNoise since I can get the Nexus fans for my case in the same order.

I'm planning on cramming it, along with a GTX 260, into an Antec P182 case (and removing the middle drive bay).

The main thing that I was disappointed to realize about the Scythe Ninja 2 was the fact that it uses push-pins to hold itself to the motherboard instead of a "bolt-through" design (spring-loaded screws, basically... new stuff for me, so it's been a long day).

I would get the Xigmatek ACK-I7751 "Crossbow" mounting plate for the Ninja instead of going with the TRUE, but... everyplace seems to be sold out of them unless you're in Australia or Romania.

Will it fit? Dunno... I'm sorta new at this, and just hoping it will. There's a pretty comprehensive video review of the mobo on Gamebeat though, which should give a good idea of the structure of the motherboard in relation to what CPU coolers may fit.

Not really a price match either, but I'm no expert in this stuff. Just hated to see your post go unreplied-to.

machoboy6

Post by machoboy6 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:20 am

Thanks for the reply godprobe. I checked out the Thermalright Ultra 120 you mentioned and it looked very nice but very expensive and it doesn't seem to come with a fan. Get back to me when your Thermalright arrives and tell me how it all works out. I might have to sacrifice or downgrade some components and get one too if it works out for you.

oakdad

Post by oakdad » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:48 am

According to this reviewer it fits.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductRe ... s=XIGMATEK

machoboy6

Post by machoboy6 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:42 pm

Thanks for the find oakdad. I also got the same answer from another forum http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... ?p=3390368
scroll to top. Looks really nice in the pics posted.

gabeyd

Re: Need a cpu cooler for GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P

Post by gabeyd » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:07 pm

machoboy6 wrote:Im planning on getting an e8400 (E0) and overclocking it to 4ghz. I was set on getting the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 but then read some reviews that it won't fit this board. Are there any alternatives that matches the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 in performance and price?
I have a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 on my Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R (note the R) and I'm almost certain the layout is identical to the 3P. Fits fine, doesn't block anything.

I have some photos in the Gallery forum.