am2 coolers that will orient towards rear exhaust

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

besonen

am2 coolers that will orient towards rear exhaust

Post by besonen » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:50 am

can someone tell me which am2 vertical heat sinks will mount so that the air flow across the fins will be able to be directed toward the rear of the case?

one that i'm aware of is the Scythe Ninja. are there others?

i thought i read about a heat sink that wasn't symmetrical (like the Scythe Ninja) but that could be rotated to accommodate motherboards that have different retention bracket mounting hole orientations. was i hallucinating or is there a heat sink with a mounting that can be rotated?

thanks,
david

larsolsen
Patron of SPCR

Post by larsolsen » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:06 am

i believe thermalright sells an optional bracket that allows their heatsinks to be turned around

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:20 am

Noctua tower cooler and Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer are ones that orient right way.

besonen

Post by besonen » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:01 am

larsolsen wrote:i believe thermalright sells an optional bracket that allows their heatsinks to be turned around
these appear to be discontinued. can someone confirm this for me?

i'm looking for a solution that will still be available one year from now so i can build systems for 12 months without needing to re-spec a new heat sink solution.

besonen

Post by besonen » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:07 am

thejamppa wrote:Noctua tower cooler and Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer are ones that orient right way.
thanks.

do either of these allow the heat sink to be removed without removing the motherboard?

besonen

Post by besonen » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:34 am

besonen wrote:
thejamppa wrote:Noctua tower cooler and Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer are ones that orient right way.
do either of these allow the heat sink to be removed without removing the motherboard?
it appears that they both can be removed without removing the motherboard.

Pliskin

Post by Pliskin » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:05 pm

I just posted some info on the Reeven RCCT-0901SP in another thread (viewtopic.php?t=52309). That looks like is orients to the exhaust and is cheaper than most other options. There is also a post to a review on it in the thread.