passive-ish LGA 1156 heatsink for a PC-Q08

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ethyriel

passive-ish LGA 1156 heatsink for a PC-Q08

Post by Ethyriel » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:11 pm

I'm looking for a passive heatsink for the PC-Q08. I'm going to be using the Gigabyte GA-H55N, which has some junk behind the CPU socket, so I don't think I can use a bolt through mount (unfortunately).

I'm not entirely sure it will work, so I want some versatility, but this is what I'm thinking fan-wise:

120mm on top a PWM blowing in, controlled by the CPU header
140mm in front a Noctua blowing out
PSU (Seasonic X650) turned around to be isolated
graphics is a dual fan Gigabyte GTX460 which will hopefully get fresh air pulled in from nearby vents by the 140mm front fan

I'm having trouble finding exact specs, but it looks like I can get to about 110mm on the heatsink height. I'd like to keep that closer to 100mm to be safe.

I'm having trouble finding anything that will fit my CPU heatsink needs. Any ideas? I'm thinking a small tower would be best, but I'm just not seeing anything close.

geek101

Re: passive-ish LGA 1156 heatsink for a PC-Q08

Post by geek101 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:20 pm

Ethyriel wrote:I'm looking for a passive heatsink for the PC-Q08. I'm going to be using the Gigabyte GA-H55N, which has some junk behind the CPU socket, so I don't think I can use a bolt through mount (unfortunately).

I'm not entirely sure it will work, so I want some versatility, but this is what I'm thinking fan-wise:

120mm on top a PWM blowing in, controlled by the CPU header
140mm in front a Noctua blowing out
PSU (Seasonic X650) turned around to be isolated
graphics is a dual fan Gigabyte GTX460 which will hopefully get fresh air pulled in from nearby vents by the 140mm front fan

I'm having trouble finding exact specs, but it looks like I can get to about 110mm on the heatsink height. I'd like to keep that closer to 100mm to be safe.

I'm having trouble finding anything that will fit my CPU heatsink needs. Any ideas? I'm thinking a small tower would be best, but I'm just not seeing anything close.
The biggest problem you will face is getting a heat sink that wont block ram modules and the pcie slot. Looks the best way to go is to get Corsair H50.

I myself am going with Silverstone NT07-1156 with a noctua 92mm fan. I just finished my setup with intel heatsink waiting for silverstone to arrive tomorrow. Will update more on how that goes.

tim851

Post by tim851 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:15 am

I have a Silverstone SG04-F that has the same PSU positioning.

Silverstone claims 82mm as max CPU cooler height, I think 84mm will always fit. (I fit in the 87mm Scythe Zipang...) With the Q08 being 27mm wider than the SG04-F I think 110mm would be the absoulte max too. And you'll want to allow the fan some breathing room too. Not too many choices here, I think it boils down to Scythe (Big) Shuriken, Prolimatech Samuel and the Cooler Master Geminiis.
Oh yeah, and as geek101 said, all 1156 boards have the CPU socket much closer to the PCIe slot than 775 boards. Bigger (top down) heatsinks will often be problematic. A boon of the Zipang is that it's asymmetrical and thus fit perfectly on my board. The Zipang could barely fit in your case too, if you were to use one of them Slim Scythe fans. But the Zipang is oop, so you'd have to look on ebay or the likes.

But another idea:
I have an Enermax Modu87+ and I use it's fan as the CPU Fan. For that matter I modded it with another fan (Noiseblocker PK-2) and connected that to the motherboard's CPU Fan header.
My reasoning: these modern 80+ Gold PSUs don't really require fans in SPCR kinda setups anyway. Why would you want to isolate the X-650, if it's fan isn't running in the first place? Yes, you make sure the PSU stays passive, but at the same time due to the proximity of the CPU fan its heat will be used to "cool" the CPU.
Why not turn the tables then? Why not turn the PSU around and use it's fan to cool the CPU. I do this. I have a Core i3 530 with a Scythe Zipang on it and the PSU sits directly (with pressure even) on top of it. The CPU idles at 40°C (which is a deltaT of about 15°C to the room temp) when the PSU/CPU fan spins at 400 rpm. It is inaudible unless you're a cat. During gaming sessions on hotter days, I could see that SpeedFan would ramp the fan up to 700rpm to keep the CPU temps below 55°C. At this point the air being vented through the PSU is warm, but I've experienced far worse. I could set Speedfan to rev the fan even higher and reduce the temps.

Point is: I use 1 fan for what you'd want 3. And I could use a relatively massive heatsink because I didn't need a dedictated fan on it, incl. breathing room.
I trialed having a dedicated intake fan, but it didn't have any effect on CPU temps, not even at 1200rpm, when it was unbareable.
(I do have an intake fan for the VGA card though.)

Anyways, just some thoughts for you to consider or not. :)

Ethyriel

Post by Ethyriel » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:45 pm

Tim, what kind of video card are you using? I'd be very worried about a video card that doesn't vent through the back while relying on the PSU fan to cool. Besides, I've tried that with an SG01 once before, and I was less than thrilled with the results. Mounting a fan in a PSU really seems to reduce it's efficiency at cooling anything else in my experience.

geek101

Scythe Samurai ZZ shows promise

Post by geek101 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:51 pm

I found this in microcenter and picked it up today and it fits very well. I have to try a graphics card and check if it fits. Bit again I could realign the heat sink. Need to power it up and check the temperatures. Will post once I am done.

tim851

Post by tim851 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:22 am

I have a Radeon 4850 cooled with an Accelero Twin Turbo Pro. I made a little cardboard duct that goes from the bottom vents (originally meant for hard disks, but I haven't mounted any on the bottom) to the fans, so they only draw cool air. After that, the hot air gets kinda dispersed. For that I have a front mounted 120mm fan that is supposed to blow it right out the back.
This setup would have been perfect, if one could find a So.1156 mATX board that has the PCIe-Slot in the 2nd position, as most other boards have. Then I could have ducted the whole bottom chamber. But the only 1156-mATX-board with the PCIe-Slot in the right position is Asus' line, and they are too power hungry for me and when Mike reviewed them, they lacked Speedfan support.
As it is, there is some heat bleed from the back of the VGA card upwards. But it has not been any kind of problem!

It was kinda crucial for me to connect the PSU Fan to the motherboard header. Otherwise the CPU would probably not be properly cooled, because most PSUs seem to increase fan speed based on load and not based on temperature.
And as I said, my temps have been wonderful. Better, than in my previous P182 setup (esp. the VGA card).

What CPU/Cooler/PSU combination did you use in your SG01 setup, if I may ask?

geek101

Post by geek101 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:15 pm

scythe samurai ZZ is ok with cooling, idle temperature with noctua 92mm with L.N.A adapater is around 40C and prime95 load is around 67C. You could increase the fan speed to bring the temperature down but I want this case to be silent. My cpu is barely overclocked (around 3.06Ghz, I am using core i3 530) since I am using 1600Mhz DDR3 memory.

I also replaced the intake and exhaust fans with noctua.

Make sure u plugin the 4pin power cable and HD audio cable from front panel cable before putting this heat sink in for this motherboad.

geek101

Post by geek101 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:13 pm

geek101 wrote:scythe samurai ZZ is ok with cooling, idle temperature with noctua 92mm with L.N.A adapater is around 40C and prime95 load is around 67C. You could increase the fan speed to bring the temperature down but I want this case to be silent. My cpu is barely overclocked (around 3.06Ghz, I am using core i3 530) since I am using 1600Mhz DDR3 memory.

I also replaced the intake and exhaust fans with noctua.

Make sure u plugin the 4pin power cable and HD audio cable from front panel cable before putting this heat sink in for this motherboad.
Installed Noctua NF-P14 FLX at the front with L.N.A adapter and the box is still whisper quite. I was mistaken that the CPU is running at 3GHz its is running at 3.52GHz due to enabling XMP profile for my memory and 70C for prime95 test is quite impressive for a silent setup like this. I think scythe samurai zz is not so bad after all for this motherboard and case combo.