Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

CA_Steve

Scythe Mugen 5 S with new fan

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:47 am

Japanese Capacitor

Re: Scythe Mugen 5 S with new fan

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:31 pm

Great cooler got even better, but $55? If I'm not wrong, you can get Ninja 5 and Fuma 2 for $60 and what makes things worse for 5 S, Fuma is the same friendly in terms of no problems with height or ram. If this thing with this 1800 rpm Wonder Snail will beat Fuma in cooling, fine, but I don't think so and I'm pretty sure that the lower you go with the noise, the more it will loose with two above in thermals. Original Mugen 5B is quite pricey compared to what it offers next to similar ones like Shadow Rock line from be quiet!, but represents higher quality which somehow justifies it. It also costs the most uncomfortable money with being too far from budget coolers, but too close to ones for people having demands and CPUs which will show the difference. And people having such CPUs have damn $60 bucks for Scythe's flaghips and rather don't mind paying even more. New Mugen only intensifies it all, but as always - let's wait for reviews :]

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:27 am

It'll be interesting to see how performance improves with the Snail fan and whether it causes Scythe to also have an S version of the Fuma 2 and Ninja 5. :)

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:14 am

Generally i would see this as a plus, but this time.....
CPU Sockets: (for Intel LGA 1700 socket, an additional mounting upgrade kit is required)
Its being released at the same time as alder lake, charging more and not having the support... its a let down.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:20 am

CA_Steve wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:27 am
It'll be interesting to see how performance improves with the Snail fan and whether it causes Scythe to also have an S version of the Fuma 2 and Ninja 5. :)
Now I compared both coolers and fans specs and see that WS 1800 rpm is 2 dBA quieter than... 1200 rpm Kaze Flex known from other Scythe's coolers :O Knowing how quiet, but well cooling Fuma is compared to other coolers and doing it with two sources of noise, we should have pretty high expectations from 5 S. The thing is, such measurements are rather always done in completely unrestricted conditions in type of wind tunnel, so no noise added from working with heatsink (and here for sure it's like that - specs of Wonder Snails 1800 rpm are the same as fan specs on 5 S' site). About Fuma and Ninja fan swap, these coolers score awesome in cooling/noise and it's even more impressive when knowing that Kaze Flex are mediocre cooler fans. There may be some not gimmicks, but real engineering behind their heatsinks, designing them around not the best fans they had, so it's maybe not that simple as swapping the fans to make them better. I mean e.g. these cross-cuttouts in Ninja's heatsink or Fuma's shape of fins and fans running opposite directions. Mugen 5B has more traditional heatsink, so seems fastest way of dropping the bomb WS fans are.
Abula wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:14 am
Generally i would see this as a plus, but this time.....
CPU Sockets: (for Intel LGA 1700 socket, an additional mounting upgrade kit is required)
Its being released at the same time as alder lake, charging more and not having the support... its a let down.
Great point. The question is if they will be sending 1700 kit for free and everywhere Scythe is distributed. [Mod: deleted comment]

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:12 am

Scythe announces socket upgrade kit for $8.
In addition to the mounting upgrade kit, most current Scythe coolers will also include LGA1700 mounting materials soon.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:55 am

Nice find Steve, still dont like how new CPU Coolers cant come with it, but i do have Mugen5, Fuma2 and Ninja5 that could use those mounts in time.

Btw im not liking what im reading on Amazon about the snail fan,
Too loud
These are loud even at low speed. I guess it is the motor but they were unusable for me

Too noisy and random humming
there is a random hum at different rpms and the fans themselves have a very buzzy noise while spinning. While the hum isn't as loud as the Arctic P12 it's still annoying.

Not bad if you don't mind noise.
Loud and slowdown / speed up randomly making a whining noise.

Loud hum at random times
in 3 days the fan started humming at random intervals and that was enough for me to return the fan
From what i remember, never read comments like this on KazaFlex, Slipstream, Glidestream, etc.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:56 am

I think the implication is new production runs of existing models will come with the new adapter plate, but there is still a lot of inventory out there w/o it.

hum and noise: looks like you need to check them out :)