Best Budget Silent CPU Cooler?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

quest_for_silence

Re: Best Budget Silent CPU Cooler?

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:03 am

optis wrote:We are not testing all the coolers with the same fan, we are standing the position that all tests we conducted are with factory original fans which are sold with them and which are a part of the coller`s price.

SPCR tests each heatsink either WITH its stock fan and WITH SPCR's reference fan.
SPCR tests each heatsink at more than four (usually eight to nine) different fan voltage levels for both the fans, so more than four noise levels for each scenario (idle, load) in an anechoic chamber (using a Bloomfield Extreme in order to simulate the worst case scenario).

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:28 am

loimlo wrote:I'd purchase Scythe Mugen 2 if price is more or less the same

To average out, in relative terms the Mugen 2 is about +65% more expensive than the CM (and it's about -10% less expensive than the Kama Angle Rev. B). In absolute terms we're talking about 12 euros more.

andymcca

Post by andymcca » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:40 pm

Right now on Newegg the price difference is $10 USD. $30 vs $40. The 212+ costs a few extra dollars to ship, though. Included PWM fan is certainly a plus... On the other hand, the mounting equipment for the 212+ looks very nice, and giant 850g heatsinks scare me :)

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:09 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
loimlo wrote:I'd purchase Scythe Mugen 2 if price is more or less the same

To average out, in relative terms the Mugen 2 is about +65% more expensive than the CM (and it's about -10% less expensive than the Kama Angle Rev. B). In absolute terms we're talking about 12 euros more.
For me, the price difference wasn't that huge when you consider the high mark-up of a quality PWM fan. Normally, a quality PWM fan would cost about 10~15USD in a retail shop. That said, if the budget is really a serious concern, CM 212+ is indeed an reasonable choice given its complete accessories like cross-platform mounting back, a PWM fan, and 4 fan clips.

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:54 am

fwiw in my use of english as an american I see it this way

ignorant = technical term meaning lack of knowledge
idiot = insulting term meaning lack of intelligence

I am often ignorant yet I don't consider myself an idiot.

Anyway on the topic of bang for your buck heatsinks I'll quote myself from another thread shortly after a recent review
Given the new review I thought I'd do a quick price check of the top half of the test results on the temp rise chart. I dumped the ones that were overpriced vs the performance or had mounting issues and came up with this short list. Prices were from a quick google search and include S&H and taxes for my zip code in the US.

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme Rev.C $66
38 degree rise 790g
Mounts both ways on AMD boards. Editor's Choice, best on SPCR list at end of 2010. Gets a 9.5 on the recommended list.

Noctua NH-U12P $64
39 degree rise 600g without fan / 770g with stock fan
Mounts both ways on AMD boards. Good choice for those that move their PC a lot and are afraid of heavier heatsinks. Gets a 9 on the recommended list.

Scythe Mugen-2 $44
39 degree rise 870g including fan
Mounts with "proper" orientation on AMD boards but only mounts in that one direction. Gets a 9 on the recommended list.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus $29 (best bang for the buck)
41 degree rise 626g including fan
Mounts both ways on AMD boards based on http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ai ... rance.html

Again the Cooler Master 212 Plus is light enough for those afraid of heavier heatsinks. Gets a 8.5 on the recommended list because the stock fan throbs but for a SPCR regular this is easy to fix with a fan swap. Grab your favorite 12cm/120mm fan and make it right.
Now that post was made before the Noctua NH-C14 review and the NH-C14 hasn't been added to the recommended list. Noctua NH-C14 is $90 shipped to my house so it's certainly not a value heatsink but it is the best top down heat sink and it's very flexible for low clearance and high clearance situations.

Best value only makes sense if you do a search based on the price it takes to get it in your hands and that includes retail price + shipping + tax/VAT + any odd fee someone might tack on + real world considerations like driving to a post office or store or whatever you personally might have to get that device in your hand.

It also matters what hardware you have laying around or already in your PC. If you have a stack of high quality fans you might consider the Hyper 212 Plus a good value, if you have crappy fans and need to step up the Mugen-2 might be cheaper for you than buying a Hyper 212 Plus and buying a better fan.

Only you can decide how much a heat sink would cost you given all the possible variables.