All aluminium Zalman 7000?!

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

joecuba

All aluminium Zalman 7000?!

Post by joecuba » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:47 am

Zalman CNPS7000-Al oem http://www.koolnquiet.co.uk/index.php?m ... 3&start=11 cheepo all aluminium version... because the PC may get moved about, I wanted the lightest weight of these coolers. Anyone have any experence with these?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:36 pm

Well that certainly snuck in under my radar! Mike, heard anything about this? I can't find anything on the Zalman website, but maybe if it's truely "OEM" that's why it's not showing up.

I'd probably still go for the AlCu version, unless you can find some tests that show the all-aluminum version performs almost as well as the AlCu. There can't be that much difference in the weight between the two, so that leaves it down to price and performance.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:24 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:There can't be that much difference in the weight between the two, so that leaves it down to price and performance.
I thought that at first too, but I went to the link above, and it says that the Al only version weighs 312g. Compared to about 450g to the AlCu, that's quite a large difference! I didn't know a few slices of copper could weigh so much.

Edit: According to Zalman's web site weight of 7000 AlCu is 445g. Cost incl. VAT on the link is almost US$38! Yikes...

aston

Post by aston » Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:57 pm

You sure you got the link right? I don't see it...

I'd be interested to see how well this thing performs, seeing as the AlCu seems to perform better than the Cu version. :)

joecuba

Post by joecuba » Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:34 pm

aston wrote:You sure you got the link right? I don't see it...
http://www.koolnquiet.co.uk/index.php?m ... &cat_id=13
aston wrote:I'd be interested to see how well this thing performs, seeing as the AlCu seems to perform better than the Cu version. :)
For real? Is there anything on the web about this?

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:49 pm

joecuba wrote:For real? Is there anything on the web about this?
Just google for CNPS7000 reviews. There's one on this site too. The difference is like 1/2 C to 1 C in the AlCu's favor, which is very strange. Most reviewers just brush it off as within the tolerance of error, and conclude that there is no significance difference in performance between 7000 Cu and AlCu.

joecuba

Post by joecuba » Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:58 pm

lenny wrote:Cost incl. VAT on the link is almost US$38! Yikes...
http://finance.yahoo.com/m5?s=GBP&t=USD&a=19.99&c=2 the dollar has really taken a beating over the last two years, especialy against the pound.

Good for us Brits buying stuff in The States, bad for folks from the US buying Brittish stuff.

I'm off to buy a small USA state...

:D

Mats

Post by Mats » Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:05 pm

I first saw it in Sweden maybe five months ago, didn't know it was such an unusual thing.
The reason why most people haven't seen it is surely because it's an OEM only product.
Still, it's kind a strange that I never read anything about it in some review.

Megapart.com

On the other hand, that's the ONLY place I've seen it.

240SEK = 33 USD

aston

Post by aston » Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:32 pm

joecuba wrote:
aston wrote:You sure you got the link right? I don't see it...
http://www.koolnquiet.co.uk/index.php?m ... &cat_id=13
Ah, thanks. I was looking for a big silver thing... it still looks copper in their pic.

joecuba

Post by joecuba » Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:50 am

Just had a chat with the guy at koolnquiet.co.uk, he says that he can't get anymore of these units once he has sold all his stock, apparently the distributors aren't stocking them anymore.

I have ordered one, I'll let you know how I get on with it. Maybe someone with a similar setup to mine with a Cu or Al/Cu could compare notes?

Gxcad
Patron of SPCR

Post by Gxcad » Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:17 pm

lenny wrote:
joecuba wrote:For real? Is there anything on the web about this?
Just google for CNPS7000 reviews. There's one on this site too. The difference is like 1/2 C to 1 C in the AlCu's favor, which is very strange. Most reviewers just brush it off as within the tolerance of error, and conclude that there is no significance difference in performance between 7000 Cu and AlCu.
Maybe Zalman lied to everyone and coated pure lead with copper for the CU version and coated CU with aluminum for the AlCu version...for some strange and unexplainable reason... :twisted:

-Ken

joecuba

Post by joecuba » Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:54 pm

I have some results here http://electronics.audiopervert.com/CPU ... 20heat.htm

Seems to be just a little less effective than the stock cooler when the Zalman is running at slowest speed.

I am pleased with the cooler, and the service from Kool 'n Quiet was top notch.

Now onto the case and PSU!