Zalman CNPS7000A + Abit AN7??

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mats

Zalman CNPS7000A + Abit AN7??

Post by Mats » Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:22 pm

Been looking at some pics and started to wonder if the combination is possible. Zalman says no (even if cutting the clip), but compared to compatible motherboards I'd say the difference for the distance between the socket and the nearest capacitor are sometimes as little as 0.5 mm.
This distance is a little bigger for AN7 than for the older, similar but incompatible NF7-S.

If anyone of you know for sure, please tell me!

Mats

Post by Mats » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:48 pm

Well, the answer seems to be yes.
The heatsink surely fits the Abit NF7-S (just pics) no matter what Zalman says, read more in this thread.

All you have to do is to is the usual cutting of the clip.

----

This thread shows a simple way to mount a non A model on socket A motherboards with even less space.
Just turn the heatsink a bit and mount it directly in the mobo holes.
I would never do it, imagine the heavy Zalman hanging in just two holes!! I think it could damage the mobo.

aston

Post by aston » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:15 pm

Yeah, it'll fit. I don't know how that guy managed to put the silver bracket by the capacitors, though... he must've been in danger of snapping the caps right off! I put the blue bracket by the caps instead... I have no idea why Zalman says the blue one has to be beside the socket lever.

And of course, you'll have to cut the clip, too. It's thick. I didn't have the right tools, so I spent an hour filing it off. :?