How loud is *graphics* chip fan on Gigabyte 7N400 Pro2 mobo?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Lone Ranger

How loud is *graphics* chip fan on Gigabyte 7N400 Pro2 mobo?

Post by Lone Ranger » Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:36 am

How loud is the fan for the graphics chip on the Gigabyte 7N400 Pro2 motherboard.

Someone in a newgroup said it was very quiet. But what people "out there" call quiet and what people "in here" call quiet can be two different things.

Can anyone on these Silent PC Review boards comment on suitable or otherwise the fan noise on this mobo's graphic chip is.

Thanks!

CoolGav

Post by CoolGav » Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:37 am

I take you mean the HSF on the northbridge.

Without digging up detailed specs on that actual board I don't know if there's some clever monitoring and speed system to reduce noise. I wouldn't expect it, just a small fan running constantly at a certain rpm. On my Gigabyte 8PE667-ultra I removed the HSF off the northbridge and put on a passive Zalman one, and have had no problems. That's an option if you find the noise too much.

exxowire

Re: How loud is *graphics* chip fan on Gigabyte 7N400 Pro2 m

Post by exxowire » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:16 am

Lone Ranger wrote:How loud is the fan for the graphics chip on the Gigabyte 7N400 Pro2 motherboard.

Someone in a newgroup said it was very quiet. But what people "out there" call quiet and what people "in here" call quiet can be two different things.

Can anyone on these Silent PC Review boards comment on suitable or otherwise the fan noise on this mobo's graphic chip is.

Thanks!
I think you heard the sound northbridge chip fan. I just bought the Gigabyte 7N400 Pro2 motherboard it turned out that the northbridge fan from the motherboard does create some noise in a few seconds then turned off when logging into Windows. When the heat rises, the fan automatically turns on and again creates a noise for a few seconds.

I suggest u take of the fan and use the Zalman ZM-NB47J Northbridge Cooler because the Nforce2 chip will be cool without anoying noise coming out from the original motherboard fan.