Heatsink for AOpen AX4R Plus

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

johnc
*Lifetime Patron*

Heatsink for AOpen AX4R Plus

Post by johnc » Sat Mar 13, 2004 7:08 pm

I am in the process of building a computer using an AOpen AX4R Plus motherboard. The cpu will be a P4 2.4. I have no big plans for this system, and I am really building it in anticipation of testing another system.

Having been out of the heatsink market for about a year, I am impressed by the changes that have occurred. Unfortunately, the latest Zalmans are incompatible with this motherboard, as best I can tell. The Thermalrights now seem to be mostly (or all?) bolt-through-the-motherboard designs. The 800 series is pretty much gone. Since I plan to be swapping cpu's in this computer, I would prefer not to have to remove the motherboard repeatedly.

I have searched the Internet for about an hour, but have had little luck finding a good clip-on heatsink for the proposed system.

Any ideas for a clip-on heatsink (and source for same) for this motherboard?

Thanks in advance.

John Coyle

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:34 am

The Swiftech MCX-478V sounds just like what you need.

IF you can't find one, I have one available.

johnc
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by johnc » Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:47 am

Thanks, Ralf.

I had become so focused on the Zalman and Thermalright lines that I neglected the Swiftech. It seems to entirely fill the bill.

I will report back.

Thanks again.

John Coyle

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:09 am

FWIW....just finished an Intel board with a P4-3.2, using this heatsink. With a quiet 80mm cpu fan (maxes about 2000rpm, thermally controlled) the thing runs really cool, never over 50c no matter what. I recommend it. :)