Heat problems trying to keep it quiet in a microATX Case

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

miker
Patron of SPCR

Heat problems trying to keep it quiet in a microATX Case

Post by miker » Fri May 07, 2004 7:30 am

I got my wife an Anthenatech case for her PC, since she wanted a nice small PC and I didn't want to spring for a Shuttel box.
Here is the case she has: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductde ... 005&depa=1

I am using a Arctic Cooling Slim Silent Pro heatsink/fan combo on an Athlon 1800+ Tbred B processor. I would think this sink could handle the output of this processor no problem. Problem is, the CPU temp is hanging around 60-63C at idle, depending on time of day. If I fold with it, it jumps up to the high 60's, low 70's! Anyone have any ideas what I can do to help alleviate the problem? I have a feeling the sink is just not getting enough fresh air.

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Fri May 07, 2004 8:23 am

A couple of thoughts:

1) As per 99% of cases it seems to be short of inlets: how much air can get to that front fan position through the bezel? Have you hacked all the fan grills? What case fans do you have (apart from psu). Bottom line, what happens to the CPU temps if you run with the case open?

2) I was surprised to work out (very lethargic temp rise after starting Prime or Folding) my KT6 mobo did not read the CPU diode, but as per the old days has a sensor trying to guess CPU temp based on some reading in the socket. My point is the numbers themselves may be meaningless - what happens if you do a 'finger-test' on the hs?

3) Cutting across both 1 & 2 - have you tried flipping the STPGNT bit (probably D5, change from x1C to x1E) to see how cool things get when the TBred drops to single digit Watts? Sort of establishes a baseline.

I agree that any reasonable hs should cope with that XP1800 - in theory 46W typical maximum.

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Fri May 07, 2004 9:16 am

I haven't done any hacking yet, and I don't even have a fan at all in the intake area. I was using the premise that intake fans really don't have all that much effect. I have a L1A I can stick in there for testing. Problem is, the amount of holes there for air to come in is pretty sad, so I am not sure if adding a fan will really help all that much. The stock psu has a little fan over the CPU area, and the two little 60mm fans on the back are pretty quiet, but don't realistically move much air.

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Fri May 07, 2004 10:31 am

miker wrote:I haven't done any hacking yet, and I don't even have a fan at all in the intake area. I was using the premise that intake fans really don't have all that much effect. I have a L1A I can stick in there for testing. Problem is, the amount of holes there for air to come in is pretty sad, so I am not sure if adding a fan will really help all that much. The stock psu has a little fan over the CPU area, and the two little 60mm fans on the back are pretty quiet, but don't realistically move much air.
I agree that adding a front intake is sub-optimal: was just figuring the 3 exhaust (2 case & psu) fans are probably struggling against static pressure in the case. If you could at least open up the front vent they could/should probably be more effective moving air through the case, and some of that cooler stream should then get into the CPU hs.

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Fri May 07, 2004 2:19 pm

i have the same case and i never could get it quiet and cool ... i'm selling it.
Just sticking a P4 2.6 in it was too much. There's not enough airflow because of restricted intakes.

It's a nice looking case tho :)

Markus

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Fri May 07, 2004 2:22 pm

Yes, airflow

1) snip those restrictive stamped rear fan grilles: there should be just an open hole for the fan to push air out.

2) See what you can do to increase airflow through the front. This may be a little tougher to do without modifying the visible area of the case, but it is generally possible.. some cases have a "hidden" intake on the front (bottom? sides?) that can be dremeled out for vastly improved air throughput. The Sonata is a good example of this.

Beyond that I would go for the $20 silent boost over your HSF, if you have the room. You can't do better for the price, and all copper will perform many degrees C better than al/cu hybrid (under full load). Yes, this is true of the Zalman flowers as well..

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Fri May 07, 2004 2:30 pm

followup on front intake: one trick I've used before is to drill out the EXISTING holes in the front with larger ones (use a larger drill bit). If you're careful and steady with the drill, this looks quite stock, because you're following the original "pattern" of holes. And it definitely works..