64-bit Processor Question

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Scorched

64-bit Processor Question

Post by Scorched » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:43 pm

I'm thinking about buying a SilentPC from ARM Systems. It would be a 3.2 ghz P4. I feel kind of foolish asking this, but would this be un-wise since computers are heading towards 64-bit? And silence is very important to me.

bcassell
Patron of SPCR

Post by bcassell » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:55 pm

IMO, A good rule of thumb for 64-bit is that if you don't know if you're going to need it--you won't.

Basically, 64-bit capabilities will provide enormous benifits in a very small number of cases, and marginal benifits in most cases. Yes, eventually everything will be moving to 64-bit, but by the time that happens I'll almost gaurantee you'll have a new computer.

With that said, the best thing to do is to judge cpus by their current performance and heat. If you're running Windows, then that means comparing the A64 in 32-bit mode. When you do this, though, I think you'll find that, in most every situation, the Athlon64 is both faster and cooler than an equally priced P4. For more information see this thread.

As for ARM Systems, I've heard nothing but good things about their machines. I don't think they currently have any products listed using the A64, but I've heard rumors of one floating around these forums recently. If I were you I'd send them an email and see what they say.

Bryan

Scorched

Post by Scorched » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:29 pm

I don't know how I missed it, but they do have A64 systems. I'll go with that instead of Intel. The Athlon64 3200+ with the 1mb cache looks like the best deal.

bcassell
Patron of SPCR

Post by bcassell » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:36 pm

Well, I just looked at their site, and I don't know where you're seeing A64 systems, because I can't find them =P. Oh well, I'm sure I'm just blind or something. Anyway, since I can't find them, I can't comment on their specific systems, but generally the 3000+ is a better deal than the 3200+. They are the same clock speed, and the extra cache makes basically zero difference in 99% of benchmarks. It's not a huge deal, considering they're only $60 apart (when you buy the cpu alone), but hey, $60 is $60 =).

Bryan

Scorched

Post by Scorched » Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:52 pm

It's like one of those magic 3D posters. You have to stare at the site for a while. :)

Here's the link though:

http://reseller.armsystems.com/reseller ... =526571254

I've been out of touch with the AMD scene for a while. I see the newest processors are already up to 3800+, and it's a new socket (939). Somebody told me to hold off, and wait for the chips with the new socket version. But I don't think so. The reason I've been looking at the ARM computers is frankly I suck at building PCs, even though I've been doing it since 2001.

I would think the extra half meg of L2 cache would help more in at least some things. Could you explain that? Also, what's the difference between the Athlon64, and the Athlon 64 FX? I assume it has features closer to its relative the Opteron.

Sorry about all the questions. I guess I'm a sponge, wanting to soak up information.