New coolers from Scythe. (Heatlane technology)

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

New coolers from Scythe. (Heatlane technology)

Post by Bluefront » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:48 am

Here's a new CPU cooler from Scythe, using the same technology introduced with the fanless Zen. This one is physically smaller and uses a fan....

Very low noise at minimum fan speeds. and nice looking.

Also check out the new version of the fanless Zen.

Last edited by Bluefront on Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:54 am

Interesting....very interesting.....

And side-blowers are so nice for ducting.... hmmm :lol:

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:36 am

Check out the louvers on the duct shroud; I wonder how much of an effect they have on performance & acoustics...

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:07 pm

It looks to me like those louvers help draw air over the outside edges of the top set of fins. If you blow air past an opening (the louvers), airflow will be pulled through the louvers....helping to promote cooling of the outer-most part of the fins.

Looks like that is the idea anyway. :lol:

Can't wait for a review of this heatsink, and the new Zen (for which they claim a 25% increase of cooling ability.

ONEshot

Post by ONEshot » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:07 pm

FLAT HEATPIPE!!!

I KNEW people would start incorporating those heatsink by heatsink...

That's the flat heatpipe, right? The kind found on those mini-atx mobos?

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:23 pm

Did anyone else notice that the new fanless Zen appears to have a two-stage design somewhat similar to what Cooler Master did? Look at the base portion of the sink (the first stage); now look at this:

See the similarity between the two sinks' lower stages? The Hyper 6's first stage is simply a curvier variation on the Zen's first stage (or the other way around, depending on how you look at it/who actually had this design concept first). Here's another shot from a straight-on angle, one that I took:

-Ed

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:19 pm

I guess there's something about a heatpipe that makes it less effective at the bottom? Or now that I think about it, probably more likely just an artifact of the machining difficulties with the curvy part of the heatpipe (before it becomes completely vertical). Otherwise, I don't see why you wouldn't extend the same thin-fin plate design all the way to the bottom.

But yeah, I have seen the future, and it's all heatpipe all the way. It's almost as efficient as liquid (water) cooling, but without the annoying 1 year service cycle and constant ongoing threat of water damage. Makes sense, since heatpipes do contain a sort of liquid..

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:37 am

wumpus.....If they use R134a as the coolant, it is a liquid when it's under pressure in the hollow fins/pipes. The top section of the cooler is gas, and this area is actually where the majority of the heat exchange takes place. That's what makes the lower section less effective as a cooler. That lower section of fins is not hollow (no coolant inside)....so it cools just like a standard heatsink. It does however, maximize the cooling ability of the entire area of the heatsink....and looks nicer. :lol:

That lower section of fins is a separate piece....comes apart. When you assemble the cooler, you put TIM on the bottom of this piece, as well as on the bottom of the main fin section. This lower piece holds the main fin section tight against the copper base. Then you put more TIM on the bottom of the copper base, which is held against the CPU.....

I'm using an original version Zen. The assembly procedure sounds harder than it really is....

TheWesson

Post by TheWesson » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:53 pm

In a way, the bottom fins are annoying, because they mean you're dumping heat in the case not into your duct.

In practice, I doubt they make a lot of difference.

the wesson