Thermaltake Venus 7+ HSF - Is it any good?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

CompMan86

Thermaltake Venus 7+ HSF - Is it any good?

Post by CompMan86 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:57 pm

I ordered an athlon 64 bundle which includes the Thermaltake Venus 7+ HSF. Is it decent? I'm not overclocking, so my question is really is it quiet? Also, does anyone know if it adjusts itself based on temperature? And should I disable Q-Fan when using this HSF? The motherboard is an Asus K8V SE Deluxe. The fan at max speed (6000 rpm) is 45dba...loud for my case which I'm building to be ultra quiet. Thanks for the help!

spartikus

Post by spartikus » Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:11 am

Mate, I had a Spark 7+ in my machine a while back, the thing at full tilt was freakin' loud! High pitched whine; unless you turn it down all the way, it's _definately_ not silent. I've got the Zalman on there now, and all is well, so if you're looking for a silent solution, I wouldn't recommend it.
I'm not sure if the Venus supports temperature sensing, the Spark 7+ comes with a thermal probe that plugs straight into the CPU fan spot. I found it to work quite well, but the continous spinning up/down drove me nuts.

CompMan86

Post by CompMan86 » Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:48 am

Since I'm not going to overclock, I think the zalman would be a bit overkill (and overpriced). Are there other quiet athlon 64 HSF's out there you'd recommend? Or maybe I should just screw on a quieter 70mm fan onto the thermaltake HS? Thanks

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:02 pm

I dont think the zalman is overprice considering the best thermalright Heatsinks are 60 bucks

The ALCu is only ~30 bucks

anyway, if you have mounting holes in yuor mobo, i suggest getting the thermalright 948U for 20 bucks at SVC with a coupon, i forgot the code tho.

~RaNDoM

attnet

Post by attnet » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:30 am

Hey CompMan, you didn't order that AMD special bundle w/ a 3200+, Asus K8V SE Deluxe, FarCry and T-shirt by any chance, did you? :D I got that one, and it also has a Venus 7+ as you mentioned.

I'm thinking of getting an 80 to 70mm fan adapter and mounting an arctic cooling fan on it. Does anybody know if this would be a good idea, as I've heard sketchy things about fan adapters in the past?

CompMan86

Post by CompMan86 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:49 pm

Yeah, I did buy the AMD bundle. My t-shirt is a large and fits ;-) I'm gunna send away for the $100 rebate tomorrow (I did it through retailaccess as a retail employee, the LEGITIMATE way)

I don't know if I would do a fan adapter...maybe just buy a quieter 70mm fan and screw it on. I'm not sure if the fan on the venus 7+ is thermally controlled or not. If it is, we should turn off Q-Fan. If not we should turn it on. I'm still waiting for my memory and hard drive, but when I get those I will do some tests to see if it's thermally controlled, and see if it's loud enough to replace the fan. It seems like replacing the entire HSF with a zalman 7000 would be too costly and too much work (gotta remove the motherboard and everything attached to it to get the backplate off) unless I were to overclock, which I won't. This heatsink is adequate, I just wish the fan was quieter. I turned on the system without memory or hard drive to see how loud it is, and the HSF is by far the loudest...but I'm thinking that it might be spinning at max RPM if it's not thermally controlled, because if the system doesn't post it might default to the full 12v on the fan header.

attnet

Post by attnet » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:31 am

I shall be curious to read your results. I'm still hunting for parts and at any rate I have a vacation lined up soon as well, which means I probably won't be assembling my system for a while. Good luck with yours.

CompMan86

Post by CompMan86 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:28 am

My setup is as follows:

74 gig WD raptor 10k rpm drive - $161 from newegg after $20 rebate
512mb mushkin cas 2.5 PC3200 - $78 from newegg
Antec SLK3700-BQE case - $75 after $20 rebate from best buy
Audigy 2 ZS Platinum - $100 after $100 rebate from Circuit City
AMD Bundle for $179 + $14 shipping after $100 rebate
Globe 120mm fan for the front intake - $12 from coolcases.com
Built by ATI Radeon 9600XT 128mb - $107 after $50 mail in rebate and $33 price match to microcenter, bought at Circuit City

I'm re-using my liteon 52x cd burner and pioneer 16x dvd-rom. I'll probably put one of my 7200rpm IDE hard drives from my other systems in this rig too. End cost is about $700 for me. I wish I didn't have to buy the audigy 2 ZS platinum, but my speakers have a proprietary digital input which is only supported by creative labs cards, and at $99 that audigy 2 ZS was a great value, even if it has more power than I'll ever need. I just look at it as a component I won't have to upgrade for a long time, and that will have driver support for windows xp 64 bit. I'm looking at the Evercool 70mm fans from directron or I might get a 70mm to 80mm adapter and buy a panaflo L1A. Still waiting for more input from SPCR on my other thread in this forum. If you need any advice on your rig, give me a hollar.

IBUYCHEAP

Post by IBUYCHEAP » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:45 pm

I got the same bundle (the deal is legitimate because you can be an enthusiast and not just a employee or owner of a store) I was thinking about a 70 to 80 adapter and a panaflo l1a but the rating on the l1a is 22 cfm and the original fan has a rating of 42 cfm (probably bs).

Just curious why would you pick the arctic cooling fan instead???

IBUYCHEAP

Post by IBUYCHEAP » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:48 pm

CompMan86 wrote:My setup is as follows:

I wish I didn't have to buy the audigy 2 ZS platinum, but my speakers have a proprietary digital input which is only supported by creative labs cards,
Thats not proprietary thats a standard coaxial digital out all you needed was a 1/8th" jack to rca

CompMan86

Post by CompMan86 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:22 pm

The minijack has 3 poles. So I would need a digital coax RCA jack connector to 3 pole digital minijack, and then a 3 pole splicer (female to female) to connect it to my digital minijack to mini-DIN connector. Where could I find those RCA to 3 pole minijack adapter cables?