AMD geode processors

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

roo

AMD geode processors

Post by roo » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:03 am

Well, I'm thinking eventually building a low power computer, what's the best choice? Via or AMD or... ?

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/Virt ... 16,00.html

regards
marc

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:51 am

AMD wrote:The AMD Geode family of embedded solutions is part of AMD’s strategy to offer assets, resources and vision for extending x86 solutions from low-power embedded solutions up through the highest-performing server platforms.
Translation: The Geode is for embedded systems. AMD wants to use x86 for EVERYTHING.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:09 pm

The main problem is that, unlike Intel and Via, AMD doesn't manufacture motherboards. The market for Mini-ITX like consumer motherboards is still small. So I don't expect a third party to incorporate this on a motherboard on short order.

DonP

Post by DonP » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:31 pm

AMD bought the Geode processor designs from SGS-Thomson (I think!!). They're for low power embedded applications. Stick em together with another chip and they're pretty much a complete PC.
Whether you should use it all depends on your application.
They'd be good in a wireless/wired standalone MP3 placyer but won't be powerful enough for an HTPC. They're about as powerful as a Pentium 1.. but they are available with slightly higher clock speeds and sometimes have multimedia optimisations. They're expensive for low volume purchases.

If you want cool and powerful CPU, get an Barton XP-M.. a XP-M 2400+ runs at 1800MHz and depending on the exact model runs at 1.35V and 35W max - apparently there are also 25W versions but I've never seen them.

The way to go is one of these 35W babies and underclock and undervolt - people have been getting them down to 13W on the forums here at still running 1000MHz. Don;t quote me on that though - it was just a guestimate.

I have a 35W 2400+ XP-M and I'm amazed with my load temps - full speed, running F@H I'm getting CPU temps 4 deg C above case temp. CPU is cooled by a DP-102 and a 60mm (!!!) fan.

If you want really low power then a 35W 1.35V XP-M run at 1.0V and 800MHz would put out only 8.5W under full load. I can't guarantee you'll be able to undervolt that far but you might - check the other posts here on the lowest people have got.

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:17 am

I don't agree that the Geode would be good for a standalone MP3 player. It is far too powerfull to play mp3 only. Since standalone mp3 players typically runs on batterys a few watts usage in a CPU is a lot since it will drain batteries rather quickly.
The power rating of the Geode is similar to the VIA C3 clock speed. So a Geode 1500 is similar to a P3 750 MHz. That is about 900MHz P4.

The Geode is very close to the VIA C3 CPU, and it seems to performe a bit better with slightly lower heat. The major problem is that there is no reasonably priced motherboard for the Geode. So if you want something today the Geode is not an option.

In that power range you can either go for VIA C3 or an undervolted and underclocked Barton XP-M.
The advantage with VIA C3 is mainly the cost and very small size of motherboard..
The advantage with the Barton is the abillity to increase speed when you need to. Even mATX boards with good undervolting is very hard to find, so you might end up with a full ATX board.

Another interesting option is the VIA Eden-N (nano-ITX) that hopefully hits the stores before XMAS. I have not seen any reliable information on the pricing yet, but I excpect it to be priced similar to VIA Eden (C3) boards.

Yesterday Intel released a new solution in Asia with "Shelton" CPU (very similar to Banaias core). It runs on a 170x190mm board passively at 1GHz. Read more on mini-itx.com.

sven

Post by sven » Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:03 pm

DonP wrote:AMD bought the Geode processor designs from SGS-Thomson (I think!!).
This might be right for the slower versions of geode, the 1 and 1.4GHz versions are Thouroughbred-CPUs which are running at lower frequency and Vcore. If you don't believe, just compare the cpuid - it's the same. :wink:

roo

Post by roo » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:25 am

sven wrote:If you don't believe, just compare the cpuid - it's the same. :wink:
hmm that's a good observation!

Can I get a "Welcome to SPCR" ?? :D

Dalbert

Post by Dalbert » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:14 am

roo wrote:
sven wrote:If you don't believe, just compare the cpuid - it's the same. :wink:
hmm that's a good observation!

Can I get a "Welcome to SPCR" ?? :D
WELCOME TO SPCR!!!

Good question, BTW.

DonP

Post by DonP » Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:51 pm

roo wrote:Can I get a "Welcome to SPCR" ?? :D
Welcome to SPCR!!

btw.. regarding my comments on the Geode - yes, sorry, maybe the more recent ones are more powerful - I investigated them a a few years ago when clock speeds were of the order of 300 MHz - which I figured would be enough (and then some) for MP3 playback and a bit of HDD serving. I had no idea their speeds broke a gighertz - cool.

@sven - I believe you!! :)

bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:22 am

I personally wonder whether the Geode NX 1500@6W would work on a regular Socket A board. Doing some comparisons against the 1750@14W and some mobile Bartons, it seems that it would OC like a bat out of hell, and still be passively cooled.

|Romeo|

Post by |Romeo| » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:37 am

The history of the Geode is quite complex -originally there was a company call Cyrix who made x86 microprocessors, fabbed by IBM. They had two lines of processor, one a straight x86, similar to a 486/Pentium, and one which was a SOC (System On a Chip) -it had graphics, sound etc. integrated, and was designed for cheap systems. Cyrix were aquired by National, who didn't really do very much with either line. National sold the Cyrix name and the straight x86 designs to Via who used the name in their original low power chip aquired from IDT (IIRC); whilst National keept the Geode. Eventually, they managed to sell the Geode to AMD, who promptly killed the architecture, and used the name for what are essentially K7 chips.

HTH

jpsa

Post by jpsa » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:08 pm

bhtooefr wrote: Doing some comparisons against the 1750@14W and some mobile Bartons, it seems that it would OC like a bat out of hell, and still be passively cooled.
Why not undervolt and underclock a barton to 1.1volt and 1GHz... it can be passivelly cooled too, only 15W max I think... :wink:
AMD have introduced a new range of low power consumption Geode CPUs, based upon their Mobile Athlon architecture. The Geode NX is Socket A compatible
The geode NX is socketA the GX is a complete system on a chip (AMD PIC)
Check these links! very interesting, it seams tyan has geode boards
http://pair.offshore.ai/pic/
http://www.mini-itx.com/news/76391757/