Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

longshot

cooling an amd xp2700

Post by longshot » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:27 pm

the problem is i have a micro-atx case.. Have an

Albatron km18g motherboard
AMD 2700+ Thouroughbred cpu
Minuet case

max height can be 70mm (not much height in the micro case) Leaves a 5-7mm gap for airflow
max radius can be 45mm (distance from the center of the processor to the outercase)

Need a nice quiet heatsink (and fan) for a htpc box that has these specs.. anyone have some idea on what might work please...

thanx
Last edited by longshot on Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:49 pm

Swiftech MCX462-V looks like it'll fit.

radius 38.1mm
height ??

Is 70mm the distance between the top of the CPU and the top of your case?

msm_zgok

Post by msm_zgok » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:12 pm

You could cut a hole in the nice Minuet and build an exhaust duct from there. Use an Alpha for the heatsink. Then again, the Minuet's finish looks too damm nice to be cut/sawed/drilled/dremelled through XD.

Ideally, a side blowing heatsink like those mini heatpipe towers would work best in the Minuet IMHO. A fan mounted towards the rear would function as a CPU and rear exhaust fan. Hard to explain, but heres a quick sketch of what I am talking about.

HSFs like these that I know of use fans at least 80mm in size so I doubt you'll be able to find a 60-70mm one.

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:37 am

Heatpipe towers need to get up about 30mm before the lower edge of the fan to clear capacitors near the CPU sockel on socket A. In this case that doesn't even leave room for a 60mm fan, so even if such a cooler existed it would not be a good option. You simply need a bit more height for this kind of cooler.

The Swiftech MCX462-V that Trip suggested seems like a very good choise. It is a bit costly, but a very good cooler.
If you think you can squeeze in a 79mm tall cooler you can fit the Arctic cooler Copper silent 2 TC rev.2. It is low cost an performs very well and the cooler has kind of buildt in gap for air.
I would expect slightly better performance from the swiftech, but you will end up with more then 5 times the cost.

longshot

Post by longshot » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:02 pm

thanx for the responses... Seems like i have 4 to choise from that should fit in nicely.. it now comes down to noise...

Spire Whisper Rock IV
Coolermaster Vortex Dream 7
Arctic Cooling Slim Silent Pro TC
Swiftech MCX462-V

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:54 am

If you think it is worth the money I would highly recommend that Swiftech cooler. Combined with a good fan and something to control fan speed it will be the best performer of these alternatives.

If you decide to go with one of the cheaper cooler I suggest either Spire or Arctic Cooling. The main benefit with Arctic cooling is that you get a decent temp controlled fan at very low cost.