Zalman 7000AlCu w/ Evercool temps...

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Interitus

Zalman 7000AlCu w/ Evercool temps...

Post by Interitus » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:11 pm

Can you guys post your CPU/Fan Voltage or RPM/Temps for me?

I modded my AlCu with the Evercool last night....temps actually went up over the stock fan even though my Evercool runs @7v. :(

I'm running a Mobile Barton 35w. Running it [email protected] and seeing 46C Idle :shock: RPM's are 1400 on the Evercool.

I use AS5 and know it takes thermal cycling to settle, but damn. I was running 37C idle with the stock fan @5v and I know ambient temps haven't changed that much nor has my airflow.

Before anyone points it out, yes I've reseated the Zalman, yes I've reapplied AS5, yes I've cleaned all my filters and checked for air obstructions and yes I've checked ambient temps.

PhilgB

Post by PhilgB » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:23 pm

Well I haven't modded my AlCu but what were the specs of the stock fan? Maybe it spins faster at 5v than the Evercool does at 7v? How is it noise wise now?

Interitus

Post by Interitus » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:38 pm

I don't think Zalman lists the CFM of the stock fan. I remember always wondering what it was but it never being published. I assume it's the same as their other 92mm fans.

Specifications (resistor disconnected):
Airflow: 53CFM
Rotation Speed: 2800RPM
Noise Level: 36.1dBA
Rated Voltage: 12VDC
Current @12VDC: 0.25A

Specifications (with resistor connected):
Airflow: 38CFM
Rotation Speed: 1600RPM
Noise Level: 20.0dBA
Rated Voltage: 5.5VDC
Current @5.5VDC: 0.115A

Don't get me wrong it's a lot quieter. Specially since I had one of the buzz/clicking newer fans. However the cooling potential just isn't there. Even when I turn the Evercool all the way up I'm still stuck in the 40's for idle. It should go down a bit after the Arctic Silver settles but that's a bit extreme for thermal cycling to fix.

I guess I'm just looking for a pat on the shoulder and an "It's OK it's normal.."

I'll probably be around 42C after the AS settles but it just amazed me how high the idle temps are. Especially since the Barton is undervolted to 1.4. My old desktop Barton ran 3200+ speed at a measley 40C idle :?

silencery

Post by silencery » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:57 pm

Coincidentally, I just did this mod last night. My temperatures have stayed the same at the lowest voltage setting for both fans.

I did have a brief moment when temperatures shot up to an incredible 80C! I reseated the zalman though, and everything seems fine now...

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:24 pm

I have been very happy with the Evercool fans on my 7000 series heatsinks.

For my ducted computer, I have changed the Evercool for an even slower running fan - the Nexus Real Silent 92mm. Right now I'm spinning it at 800 RPM and the temperatures are great - I think 700 RPM or less should still be plenty. :)