Is Arctic Silver right ?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bungee

Is Arctic Silver right ?

Post by Bungee » Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:06 am

I have a Pentium 4 currently using the stock cooler, but in a few days it will be replaced with the XP-90 and some Arctic Silver Ceramique.

The instructions for the AS-Ceramique is here: http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique_instructions.htm

Many sites tell you to spread a thin layer on the CPU, but the instructions from the Arctic Silver page tell you to put a small amount of Ceramique on the center of the CPU, and then just mount the heatsink. They say it's the best method, but are they right ?

Has anybody tried using a coffee filter as lint free cloth, as mentioned on the same page ?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:29 am

I still spread it thinly and evenly across the IHS, just like Arctic Silver used to recommend. It's certainly not as easy as just squeezing out a blob and plopping the heatsink on top of it, but at least you've given the IHS full coverage.

I do use coffee filters (#2 Melita) to polish off the TIM on the heatsink base. I use the unbleached brown ones though. I don't want to leave a yucky taste on the heatsink.

Bungee

Post by Bungee » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:12 am

Thanks Ralf.

I was surprised when I read about the coffee filter, but if you can use them, so can I :)

Not sure which method I will use for the Ceramique. The new recommendation from AS might be better and easier, but I'm a little worried what will happen, if the heatsink is not lowered straight onto the cpu.

mrzed
Patron of SPCR

Post by mrzed » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:53 am

It's easier to put too much TIM on when using the spread method. I think the AS method is more idiot proof, which is why it's official. I've used both with roughly equal results.

The brown coffee filters are perfect for cleaning CPU's and buffing off excess TIM. Cheap, disposable etc. Combined with 99% isopropyl alcohol, it'll clean off just about anything and leave no residue.

Beyonder

Post by Beyonder » Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:34 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote: I do use coffee filters (#2 Melita) to polish off the TIM on the heatsink base. I use the unbleached brown ones though. I don't want to leave a yucky taste on the heatsink.
I've always used rubbing alcohol as well. I don't know if it actually helps, but I figure it might help remove some of the oils from your fingers if you've been handling the sink.

I doubt it helps. I'm probably just paranoid.

Interitus

Post by Interitus » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:54 pm

While you guys are on this topic, where do you get 99% or pure denatured alcohol?

Every place I've looked from hobby shops to pharmacies only carry 91%....

dac

Post by dac » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:17 pm

hi, new to spcr, or have been a frequent reader, just never registered on the forums. :D

anyways, im thinking about getting a new heatsink (zalman7000cu) + AS. well, i already have a heatsink w/ AS right now. am i going to have to wipe the cpu clean when installing the new HS or can i just leave it alone and just apply a bit more fresh AS?

Gxcad
Patron of SPCR

Post by Gxcad » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:08 pm

generally most of the hardware community says using your old layer of AS is a nono, however I believe there is a possibility AS is just marketing for us to use more of their TIM. Can anyone confirm performance results of new vs reused layer of AS? Well, either way I still use a fresh layer. I've found 99% alcohol at walgreens but I remember reading somewhere that essentially 70% might be better. I can't remember the source or the reasoning so for all I know it might not be very credible, though. I do plan to use 70% from now on though, but since I only use the 99% to clean heatsinks and I don't replace mine very often, its taking me a while to go through the bottle!

-Ken

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:35 am

Interitus wrote:While you guys are on this topic, where do you get 99% or pure denatured alcohol?

I've found it kept behind the counter in real pharmacies (not Sav-on and Rite-Aid :) ), but it's still sort of hit-or-miss. Lately I've been getting mine directly from chemical supply places.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:41 pm

I just get by w/ 91% alcohol. My rationale has been that the remaining 9% is probably water (as it appears to be on my bottle from CVS).

canthearyou

Post by canthearyou » Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:48 pm

I just mounted my A64 and HT-101 and chose AS Ceramique partly becuase I hoped it might deal with the rough surface of the heatsink better.

I followed the instructions on the AS site.

I used isopropyl alcohol from the drugstore. I keep it around for cleaning tape heads and stuff. As long as you don't use _rubbing alcohol_, which contains _lubricants_ and other random things. I think anything in the 90% range is okay. I applied it to both the CPU heat spreader and the heatsink.

I chose lens cleaning paper as a wipe for the alcohol and to remove the excess. I used a heavy plastic ziploc bag that the AS came in from newegg as a "glove" to spread the Ceramique. It was very thick and sticky compared to any other compound, very unexpected, but it worked out okay. The only problem I had was the lesn paper was porus and I had to clean som of the compound from my finger.

I am happy with my choice of Ceramique and get very good temperatures with the combination.

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:09 pm

It was very thick and sticky compared to any other compound, very unexpected
I found AS5 to be thick and sticky compared to AS3 .
Is this normal ? or did I just get a bad sample ?

mathias

Post by mathias » Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:28 pm

I heard runniness was one of the issues with AS3 they adressed.

I found ceramique to be very thick compared to alumina adhesive.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:06 am

pony-tail wrote:
It was very thick and sticky compared to any other compound, very unexpected
I found AS5 to be thick and sticky compared to AS3 .
Is this normal ? or did I just get a bad sample ?
Ceramique is thicker and stickier than AS III. I usually put the tube of Ceramique in my pants pocket for a while prior to using it. It's easier to work with if it's warmed up a bit.

tragus
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by tragus » Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:47 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:I usually put the tube of Ceramique in my pants pocket for a while prior to using it. It's easier to work with if it's warmed up a bit.
:shock: Ummm, ah, er....

On second thought, I'll omit my comment. :oops:

wyldwynd

Post by wyldwynd » Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:36 am

Can't seem to find a definitive answer to this online - wondered if anyone has tried both:

What's better? Arctic Silver 5 or Ceramique?

-J

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:05 am

wyldwynd wrote:Can't seem to find a definitive answer to this online - wondered if anyone has tried both:

-J
It really, really doesn't matter. Scuttlebutt has the AS5 a little better but it's probably not more than a few °C at the best.

We've beat this topic to death in a few threads over the past year. Use the search to find the relevant posts.

wyldwynd

Post by wyldwynd » Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:13 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:
wyldwynd wrote:Can't seem to find a definitive answer to this online - wondered if anyone has tried both:

-J
It really, really doesn't matter. Scuttlebutt has the AS5 a little better but it's probably not more than a few °C at the best.

We've beat this topic to death in a few threads over the past year. Use the search to find the relevant posts.
My apologies, thanks Ralf :)

Interitus

Post by Interitus » Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:13 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:
Interitus wrote:While you guys are on this topic, where do you get 99% or pure denatured alcohol?

I've found it kept behind the counter in real pharmacies (not Sav-on and Rite-Aid :) ), but it's still sort of hit-or-miss. Lately I've been getting mine directly from chemical supply places.
I'll have to try that. Thanks Ralf.