P4 3.2 NORTHWOOD QUIET COOLING

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

FlyingBuLLsHiT

P4 3.2 NORTHWOOD QUIET COOLING

Post by FlyingBuLLsHiT » Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:27 am

Hello guys. I need some help here, and before saying anything I have to say my computer specifications.
So :
Case: GlobalWin GAT002
PowerSupply: GlobalWin SAF420
Intel Pentium 4 Northwood 3.2GHz (not overclocked) (Intel Cooling)
MSI 865PE-NEO2-FIS2R
4x256 KINGSTON 400MHz
Gigabyte FX5950Ultra VTD256
Creative SB Audigy ZS 7.1

Fans: 1x Window, 1x Thermaltake 80mm VariableSpeed II
Msi normal Chipset air cooling,Intel normal cooling system,FX5950 Normal cooling.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recently I bought a fast internet connection, and the problem is that my PC produces high levels of noise.And of course I'm not satisfied with the Intel CPU cooling system. I want to let my pc open for many hours and the noise changes my opinion. :( I think that sth important is that my case has not a front fan, and one other problem is that my case is full of cables, Also I lost my fan duct!!! :x So the temperatures are very high and not good...Especially when is in full load.
Firstly I thought of buying a watercooling kit, but I changed my mind because of the cost and the problems may occur.
So I thought of buying one air cooling kit for cooling my CPU. And I saw the ThermalRight XP90, ThermalRight SLK-948U(Is avaible in Greece) and Swiftech MCX478 V, but I don't know what to do now. And If I buy one of them which fan to use..

So can anybody help me?

FlyingBuLLsHiT

Post by FlyingBuLLsHiT » Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:29 am

Sorry for submitting the topic 2 times.Excuse me,my connection had a problem

PhilgB

Post by PhilgB » Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:31 am

Well you don't need to caps your titles :wink:

Check out the main site and read the reviews and recommended lists. Should get you started.

FlyingBuLLsHiT

Post by FlyingBuLLsHiT » Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:39 am

sorry one ore time....
I saw the reviews, but I want somebody to help me with my circumstance...

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:01 pm

The biggest problem I have with giving you help is that I have no clue what is available in Greece.
The XP-90 is a good heatsink. Another good one is SP-94. If you can get the SLK-948U though, that's another really good heatsink.

Usually the recommended fan for all those heatsinks is the 92mm Nexus.

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:49 pm

Hi, my thoughts are as follows:
Change MSI Northbridge cooler for passive one. eg Zalman NB32J/NB47J
Change the CPU cooler, either of the Thermalrights you mentioned with a nexus 92mm fan or Zalman 7000 would be good choices.
Change the graphics cooling. eg Zalman ZM80C/D or NV Silencer 3.
Having looked at pics of the case definitely cut the rear fan "grill" out and replace with wire grill like the side panel. I would also try moving the side panel fan to be a front intake. In most cases this has little effect on CPU temps but cools the HDD, which can be important, as quiet computers tend to be warm inside.
Once you have quiet cooling on the CPU and graphics you will want to reduce the speed of the case fans. The 5V and 7V mods are free but you may feel a fan controller is worthwhile, particularly if you control the CPU and graphics fans off it as well.
Depending on your success and how far you want to go you may then find the PSU and HDD to be noisy...It never ends.
Just my suggestions, Seb

FlyingBuLLsHiT

Post by FlyingBuLLsHiT » Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:33 am

To start with, I never thought og changing the chipset's cooling system or the VGA's cooling system. I think that the most noise comes from the CPU, cause of the high temperatures. I want to start with changing the CPU's cooler with a good one, and if I won't be satisfied with it, I'll move on the next steps. My VGA cooling system I think is one of the best and makes no so much noise.

FlyingBuLLsHiT

Post by FlyingBuLLsHiT » Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:43 am

sthayashi wrote:The biggest problem I have with giving you help is that I have no clue what is available in Greece.
The XP-90 is a good heatsink. Another good one is SP-94. If you can get the SLK-948U though, that's another really good heatsink.

Usually the recommended fan for all those heatsinks is the 92mm Nexus.
Ok, I can provide you some well known companies in Greece, that you can see what is available.
http://www.checkmate.gr
http://www.hacshop.gr

In these sites you can find the products I referred to.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:42 am

Go with this with this fan.

Or this.

FlyingBuLLsHiT

Post by FlyingBuLLsHiT » Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:22 am

What is the best for lower level of noise and with good performance, as I can see you don't like the Thermalright xp-90..
why, has it any problems?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:58 am

FlyingBuLLsHiT wrote:What is the best for lower level of noise and with good performance, as I can see you don't like the Thermalright xp-90..
why, has it any problems?
I like the XP-90 a lot but didn't see it in the sites you linked. I'd go with it over the SLK948 if you have the choice.

If you can find a quiet enough 92mm fan, XP-90 would probably be a little bit quieter than the Zalman, for the same level of cooling.

FlyingBuLLsHiT

Post by FlyingBuLLsHiT » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:37 am

I don't prefer The Zalman Cooling system.
I have to say that the XP-90 is in the hacshop.gr site

My english are not so good and I didn't understand what did you mean by this "I'd go with it over the SLK948 if you have the choice."

I can find the XP-90 and so the SLK948U, but I have to make a double order for a good fan (Papst)

So to end with I'm between the XP-90 And SLK948U with the same fan

FlyingBuLLsHiT

Post by FlyingBuLLsHiT » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:49 am

I didn't understand so, which cooler to buy. Only this question : XP-90 or SLK948U?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:46 am

FlyingBuLLsHiT wrote:I didn't understand so, which cooler to buy. Only this question : XP-90 or SLK948U?
Go with the XP-90. If you can't get it, the SLK948 would be a fine second choice.

FlyingBuLLsHiT

Post by FlyingBuLLsHiT » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:13 am

Thank you.... I'll think about it. You know Xp-90 is much expensive than the SLK948...