Silverstone nt01 - passive heatsink

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

pingo

Silverstone nt01 - passive heatsink

Post by pingo » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:19 am

Hi all,
I'm going to bulid a new system. The main advice I need is about the CPU heatsink.

I've seen this product:
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-nt01.htm
and found nothing about it here yet.

There's a review here:
http://www.extrememhz.com/nitrogon-p1.shtml

I think is interesting for me because my mobo, an aopen AX4SPE -UN:
http://asia.aopen.com.tw/Products/MB/ax ... -un(p).htm

has the cpu socket placed in the right way for mounting the heatsink as you can see here:
http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/ ... ndex-1.jpg
in the top-right image, where heatsink fins face the rear pane of the case.

The case is an antec SLK3700 AMB.
Ther CPU is a Pentium 4 M 1.8 OC to 2.4 that runs very cool with the standard heatsink and 12 volts noisy fan.

Just want to know if a similar setup, with only a 120 mm fan (thermally controlled) mounted rear in the antec case facing the CPU heatsink fins, would be enough fon this system.

Also appreciated any opinion on this heatsink.

Thanks for any advice.

Likif
Friend of SPCR

Post by Likif » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:28 am

haven't seen this before. Looks cool, (no pun etc.) would be great for a non-Prescott PC with a 120 mm PSU. One could mount it facing the 120 mm fan, and get rid of the heat quickly.

pingo

Post by pingo » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:56 pm

i' ve seen also this review
http://www.3dvelocity.com/reviews/nt01/nt01.htm

it is linked in silverstone product page. Seem very bad in passive mode.

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:07 am

The major problem with this heatsink is that it is made to fit 2*60mm fans, and there are no really good 60mm fans. (Read a lot more about 60mm fans in the fan section).

So, you would be in for quite a lot of modding to get really good performance and silence out of this heatsink at the same time. I believe it is much easier to start off with one of the tower-based heatpipe coolers that can take at least 80mm fans.

pingo

Post by pingo » Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:26 am

silvervarg wrote:The major problem with this heatsink is that it is made to fit 2*60mm fans, and there are no really good 60mm fans. (Read a lot more about 60mm fans in the fan section).
I don't want any fan on the heatsink.
I would mount only a 120 mm case fan, facing the HS fins, in the antec 3700 AMB case.

Seem not so bad with a fan really near the fins:
http://www.extrememhz.com/nitrogon-p2.shtml
silvervarg wrote: So, you would be in for quite a lot of modding to get really good performance and silence out of this heatsink at the same time. I believe it is much easier to start off with one of the tower-based heatpipe coolers that can take at least 80mm fans.
Could you give me a suggestion?
A tower HS with a very good performance for the same setup described above (no fans on the HS).

Many thanks

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:08 am

Sounds like a typical Bluefront (forum link) to me. Links to a topic where the famous Bluefront describes a one fan setup. You'll find a link with pictures halfway down the first page.

pingo

Post by pingo » Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:54 am

teejay wrote:Sounds like a typical Bluefront (forum link) to me. Links to a topic where the famous Bluefront describes a one fan setup. You'll find a link with pictures halfway down the first page.
Thank you. Interesting setup.
But I was thinking something different. Definitly mine would be a 2 fans setup.
120 mm case fan exausting air direcltly form CPU
80 mm psu fan

I usually mod my PSUs putting the only rear fan outside the case and thermally controlling it with a simple PCB.

A scheme:

Code: Select all

Case Antec slk3700AMB

|---------------|---------------|
            |               |---------------|  <
          |-|               | < psu intake  |  <
 psu    <-| psu             | <             |  <
exhaust <-| fan             | <   psu duct  |  <
          |-|               |---------------|  <
            |---------------|---------------|
            |                               |
            |-|                             |
      <  120  |                             |
      <  case |  |-----|                    |
      <  fan  |  | cpu |                    |
      <       |  |-----|                    |
            |-|                             |
            |                               |  <
            |                               |  < fanless
            |                               |  < intake
            |                               |  <
            |-------------------------------|
            ||                             ||
            ||                             ||
I suppose the copper tower HS is the Aero-cool HT101, as said in the Bluefront post. Going to see some review about it ...

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:40 am

There is an all aluminium version of that Aerocool called HT-101jr. It is lighter and generally sold for less. Since your CPU is not that hot.....

mathias

Post by mathias » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:37 am

Tibors wrote:There is an all aluminium version of that Aerocool called HT-101jr. It is lighter and generally sold for less. Since your CPU is not that hot.....
But it also has more densly packed fins :x

pingo

Post by pingo » Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:17 am

Tibors wrote:There is an all aluminium version of that Aerocool called HT-101jr. It is lighter and generally sold for less. Since your CPU is not that hot.....
Thank you for your suggestion.
But I've found a Aerocool DP-102 tower heatsink for a really low price. Do you think could it be good for my setup?
And the external shroud could be removed?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:51 pm

Well I don't know about the DP-102, but like you see in the Yahoo album, I am using an HT-101. It's an excellent heatsink, and could probably be used any number of ways.

This heatsink is not as heavy as it might look...actually it's relatively light for it's type. I am not at all concerned about MB damage.

I have seen very few examples of direct exhaust ducting on this board....seems to be a bias or something against it. The main problem is you just can't bolt on a ready-made duct. You have to construct it yourself, with only a few examples to go by.

How well a particular heatsink/motherboard/case combo is equipped for a full duct configuration, is impossible to predict. I suppose with enough work, you could make any combo work....but It might be difficult. IMHO....the HT-101 is easy to turn into a fully ducted setup...might be the easiest of all the tower heatsinks.

Good luck with your attempt. :)

pingo

Post by pingo » Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:09 am

Bluefront wrote:Well I don't know about the DP-102, but like you see in the Yahoo album, I am using an HT-101. It's an excellent heatsink, and could probably be used any number of ways.
[...]
Thank for your post Bluefront. I've read lots of good ideas in your posts. :-) So if you think HT-101 is a really good HS I'll go with it!!
But I don't intend to do any duct.
Do you think could have good performance in the setup described above?
The CPU generates very low heat.

Edwood

Post by Edwood » Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:17 am

I guess because the HT-101 has a recessed area that contacts the CPU heat spreader, it won't work with Athlon 64's?

Is there an Athlon 64 version coming out soon? Perhaps it will be available with an 80mm shroud?

-Ed

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:26 am

Since I've never owned a P4 M, I can only speculate here. The HT-101/P4-2.66 runs plenty cool on just the one fan....but it is ducted.

If you remove the plastic shroud from the HT-101 and attempt to passively cool it using the rear case fan blowing out, you've got to realize a large part of the airflow is going to by-pass the heatsink. That's where the duct would do it's thing.....forcing more of the airflow through the fins.

To get a heatsink of this type to work best with only a case fan and no duct, the heatsink would have to be very close to the fan....say 1/2" or so.
But since your CPU runs cool, the setup you suggest will probably be just fine.....

pingo

Post by pingo » Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:22 am

Bluefront wrote:Since I've never owned a P4 M, I can only speculate here. The HT-101/P4-2.66 runs plenty cool on just the one fan....but it is ducted.
[...]

To get a heatsink of this type to work best with only a case fan and no duct, the heatsink would have to be very close to the fan....say 1/2" or so.
But since your CPU runs cool, the setup you suggest will probably be just fine.....
Thanks again.
The processor is Intel P4 M SL6SH. Intel spec. here:
http://processorfinder.intel.com/script ... Spec=SL6FH

Mine is 1.8 @ 2.4, in some test I've read idle temp 32 C, load temp 38 C at amb. temp 20 C.
With the standard HS + fan.
Sure with a duct HT-101 would perform better. Going to read some of your posts about how doing it. :-)

Mmmm ... But the Silverstone NT01 would have the case fan just in front of the HS fins, without the need of any duct.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:13 pm

Well I went and bought a Silverstone NT01 to cool a P4 3.2 Northwood...this is going into my latest project using an AMS case.

Tell you what...This is a very unusual heatsink because of the offset. I was lucky....I measured everything as best I could using photos, then bought a MB with the socket in the right direction to use an upward airflow. As it turned out the heatsink will mount so close to the rear of the case, I had to remove the shroud for enough clearance. It's within about 50 thou...very close.

Getting the right motherboard and case to mount this thing correctly, will be a pain for most people. Hope this setup works for me..... :?

pingo

Post by pingo » Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:06 am

Bluefront wrote:Well I went and bought a Silverstone NT01 to cool a P4 3.2 Northwood...this is going into my latest project using an AMS case.

[...]
I still have not built my system. :-\
Let me know the performance of your system.

many thanks