Should I use the shim that comes with the SI-97!?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mikael

Should I use the shim that comes with the SI-97!?

Post by Mikael » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:25 am

My Thermalright SI-97 arrives today, so tomorrow I'll be able to tell you how much better it is compared to the SLK-900A (with a 1600RPM 92mm fan). I have a couple of important questions, though: Will temperatures be better without the shim and is it okay to not use it if the computer isn't moved around?

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:55 pm

I would go ahead and use it. Using it isn't going to hurt temps by any measurable amount, and it's free insurance against destroying your CPU.

TheWesson

Post by TheWesson » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:08 am

multiple people at overclockers have gone shimless with the SI-97 with no core damage reported, and reported lower temps without the shim.

Thermalright tech support, according to one person, said that shimless was fine and they included the shim for people who were novices at installing heatsinks.

A shim also has a clear risk of destroying your CPU. Suppose the shim slips a little bit (over the pads say) and you don't notice. Then the heatsink doesn't make contact with the CPU and you turn on your machine and the uncooled core destroys itself in about ten seconds.

now from the looks of the SI-97 shim it doesn't seem likely to slip. On the other hand, you're apparently unlikely to crack the core either. The Socket A clip Thermalright is using is relatively easy to get over the prongs on the socket; you don't have to go nuts with the pressure on the screwdriver.

another tiny bit of advice: use the black foam block that comes with the SI-97 to hold the clip in place during install, otherwise it's a nightmare with the clip wandering around. After the HS is in place you can take the foam block out ....

Pilot

Post by Pilot » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:21 pm

another tiny bit of advice: use the black foam block that comes with the SI-97 to hold the clip in place during install, otherwise it's a nightmare with the clip wandering around.
Too bad I read it now. I've just installed it, and the wandering clip was driving me nuts...

TheWesson

Post by TheWesson » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:26 pm

Pilot wrote:
another tiny bit of advice: use the black foam block that comes with the SI-97 to hold the clip in place during install, otherwise it's a nightmare with the clip wandering around.
Too bad I read it now. I've just installed it, and the wandering clip was driving me nuts...
yeah, tell me about it ... The first time I clipped it in place, the clip ended up one-notch-over, and the core wasn't centered under the contact surface, off by a cm or so. Then I'm like, "There must be some way to hold this bugger in place ..."

Mikael

Post by Mikael » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:55 am

Pilot wrote:
Too bad I read that now too... My clip was also all over the place! :P

Anyway, I installed it without the shim and it went well. The cooler performs extremely well!

AthlonXP-M @ 2.3GHz 1.6V
SI-97 with 1600RPM ADDA 92mm fan (15dB)
Only two case fans, one 12dB Papst as intake and one as exhaust

Load (using Prime95): 48C

Not too shabby! I've got to test how good this heatsink is at passive operation. The SLK-900A was very bad at this...