120mm fan ducts?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

halfpower

120mm fan ducts?

Post by halfpower » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:10 pm

Has anyone tried building a 120mm fan duct for CPU cooling? It should not be to difficult to build, but it would signifigantly change air-flow patterns.

ONEshot

Post by ONEshot » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:58 pm

I have. I wussied out and went to mnpctech and bought a duct. I then proceeded to learn how to use tin snips and busted a perfect hole thru the side door.

I haven't finished the project yet, but when I do i'll be sure to stick the results here somewhere.

halfpower

Post by halfpower » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:21 am

ONEshot wrote:I have. I wussied out and went to mnpctech and bought a duct. I then proceeded to learn how to use tin snips and busted a perfect hole thru the side door.

I haven't finished the project yet, but when I do i'll be sure to stick the results here somewhere.
maybe I should have asked, "Is anyone using a 120mm CPU fan duct."

There are a few things I am worried about with this setup. 1) How it will obstruct the air flow inlet into my rear exhaust fan. 2) Which heat sink to use. The air needs to flow outwards radialy once it reaches the motherboard. and 3) How do I mount all this so that my computer it good and sturdy.

mond

Post by mond » Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:35 am

as for point (2) the obvious seems like the xp-120 with the fan blowing away from the hs and out of the duct. perhaps it would be worth experimenting with a fully positive-pressure setup of the case fans, ie. both front and rear fans blowing in. anyway, i have no experience with this setup, just a suggestion.

halfpower

Post by halfpower » Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:07 am

mond wrote:as for point (2) the obvious seems like the xp-120 with the fan blowing away from the hs and out of the duct. perhaps it would be worth experimenting with a fully positive-pressure setup of the case fans, ie. both front and rear fans blowing in. anyway, i have no experience with this setup, just a suggestion.
I was planning on using a prescott chip in an intel motherboard. The motherboard manual states that the fan air inlet temperature must be below 38 degrees C. It also states that the heatsink should spread the air in a radial pattern. I believe the ducts on some of the newer cases are intended specifically for this appllication.