How to fix a fan on Zalman 7000Cu?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ColdFlame

How to fix a fan on Zalman 7000Cu?

Post by ColdFlame » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:07 pm

Hello all,

One of the blades on my Zalman 7000Cu fan broke and now the fan is resonating and shaking the whole case :shock:

What can I do to fix this? I've already asked Zalman for a spare fan but they are silent so far.

Can I fit another fan there or what should I do? I don't want to buy another HSF.

Thanks!

mathias

Re: How to fix a fan on Zalman 7000Cu?

Post by mathias » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:28 pm

ColdFlame wrote: Can I fit another fan there or what should I do? I don't want to buy another HSF.
Yes, you can, in fact many people have mentioned replacing the fan with a nexus or globe to make it quieter. I'm wondering how you've missed that considering how long you've been here.

tay
Friend of SPCR

Re: How to fix a fan on Zalman 7000Cu?

Post by tay » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:49 pm

mathias wrote:Yes, you can, in fact many people have mentioned replacing the fan with a nexus or globe to make it quieter. I'm wondering how you've missed that considering how long you've been here.
Indeed. Ralf Hutter and joseph clemente (linked from the last page of the 7700 AlCu review) have done the replacements. Use the search or check out that review.

slipknottin

Post by slipknottin » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:53 am

I cut off the frame of a nexus fan, and epoxyed(sp?) that in place of the zalman fan. Much quieter.

ColdFlame

Post by ColdFlame » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:44 pm

Thanks for help everyone this is what I did:
1. Went to local electronics store http://www.vetcosurplus.com/ and purchased 2 Zalman fans for $10 total. Fans appeared to be FB123, or exactly the same fans as I had on the HSF, just the frame was different
2. Cut out the frame on the new fan and glued it with SuperGlue (TM) to the metal bracket that screws to the HSF

I think the noise went down (subjectively) even though it is the same fan.

I'm happy!

p5

Post by p5 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:57 am

I replaced the stock fan on my 7000ALCU last week with a nexus 92mm.

With the nexus tested shortly before as the exhaust fan, it was very quiet but just audible at 12v in my system.

After cutting it out of it's frame and mounting into the zalman (with a layer of sponge between the fan and the fan mount), it's actually inaudible in my system at 12v ~ 1400rpm.

Could be either the fan frame removal, or the fan's positioning in the exhaust area was leaking noise.

Anyway, the nexus is practically the best 92mm fan out there. And much quieter than the stock zalman fan.

On another note, these are actually made by dynatron/dynaeon (and probably a resistor shoved in or something like the nexus 120mms), so if anyone finds a place selling the original dynaeon DF1209SL, could be in with another non-overpriced winner here.

Edit: oh right you already got a zalman replacement

ColdFlame

Post by ColdFlame » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:44 pm

I wasn't able to find a Nexus fan in retail around here quick so I had to get whatever was out there. My PC was actually resonating and I could hear it in another room :shock:

Thanks for the advice, next time it breaks I'll get Nexus.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:33 pm

Retail zalman 92mm fans are a tad noisier than Z7000 fans. This was my initial conclusion after a side-by-side and was later verified by an email from Zalman. Difference is probably inaudible inside a case however.