What to do with these stock parts .... ???

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

freshjuice
Friend of SPCR

What to do with these stock parts .... ???

Post by freshjuice » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:03 pm

So, I removed the stock copper fan and sink from my 6600GT (to replace it with the fanles VM-101).

I also did not use the stock sink and fan from the AMD +3000 939.

So... should I just sell them on eBay? Or...

I was wondering if there was some way to put one of them to replace the "whiny" mainboard chip fan on my MSI Neo2 Platinum Motherboard. I mean, the fan is okay, especially since I have a fan controller, but it's probably one of the noisest parts right now.

Doable? No? Would it even be better? Worth a try?

wim

Post by wim » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:30 pm

1. noone in their right mind would buy stock coolers
2. NB almost never need to be actively cooled, if you have a whiny fan i would suggest just to stick a passive sink on there instead (zalman make some, or you could botch one yourself using one of the old stock coolers)

all my stock coolers go into the big spare parts box and eventually get made into sculptures or something :-)

freshjuice
Friend of SPCR

Post by freshjuice » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:53 pm

wim wrote:1. noone in their right mind would buy stock coolers
LOL ... some people would say no one in their right mind would suspend a hard drive on tubing or stick their CPU in a water chamber!

mathias

Post by mathias » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:02 pm

wim wrote:1. noone in their right mind would buy stock coolers
What does that have to do with it, he's not trying to sell the CPU heatsink here. 'Fortunately for the inhabitants of the plannet nowwhat, a lot of people aren't in their right mind' - mostly harmless (HHGTTG book 5)

As for the vid card heatsink, what card is it from? If it's copper it's not a reference heatsink (so it's not entirely a stock heatsink, at least not in the same way as the CPU sink), and I heard some of the non-ref ones are pretty good.

zoob
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by zoob » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:49 pm

Keep your CPU stock HSF for warranty purposes.

As for stock video card HSF, might be worth keeping it if you upgrade your card, but want to keep your existing cooler.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:52 pm

zoob wrote:Keep your CPU stock HSF for warranty purposes.

As for stock video card HSF, might be worth keeping it if you upgrade your card, but want to keep your existing cooler.
I have the stock coolers for my 6800GT and my 6600GT in their own boxes so that down the line if I sell the cards I can reinstall their stock cooling and keep the good stuff I installed to them (an NV-68 block and a VM-101, respectively)...

-Ed

freshjuice
Friend of SPCR

Post by freshjuice » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:11 pm

This is the one that came with my GT. This is more of a curiosity question...just wondering if anyone's tried anything like it. That's all.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:14 pm

freshjuice wrote:Image

This is the one that came with my GT. This is more of a curiosity question...just wondering if anyone's tried anything like it. That's all.
Assuming memory serves me correctly for once, that's the same one that came on my MSi NX6600GT-128VTD; it sounds like an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer Rev. 3 on High, but smoother. I replaced mine with a VM-101.

-Ed

freshjuice
Friend of SPCR

Post by freshjuice » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:14 pm

Thanks zoob -- hadn't thought of that one. Yeah ... AMD probably wouldn't like it if I don't have the orginal, huh.

But that said, haven't I already voided warranty by using an XP-90? Isn't that out of spec?

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:18 pm

freshjuice wrote:
Thanks zoob -- hadn't thought of that one. Yeah ... AMD probably wouldn't like it if I don't have the orginal, huh.

But that said, haven't I already voided warranty by using an XP-90? Isn't htat out of spec?
They don't know that. If the chip should ever fail, remove the XP-90, clean off the thermal interface material you used from the CPU, mount the stock sink to the system and try to run it; this way the thermal interface material on the base looks used, particularly if the chip still warms up sufficiently to make the stuff turn fluid.

I am not sinister, nor do I condone random acts of getting around warranty limitations...

:wink:

-Ed

freshjuice
Friend of SPCR

Post by freshjuice » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:19 pm

Edward Ng wrote: Assuming memory serves me correctly for once, that's the same one that came on my MSi NX6600GT-128VTD; it sounds like an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer Rev. 3 on High, but smoother. I replaced mine with a VM-101.

-Ed
That's exactly where this came from, and I replaced it with a Vm-101 myself.. Heh. I believe someone wise and all-knowing recommended this to me. :wink:

So, I'm sorta curious if putting this to replace the stock mainboard fan would work a little better & quieter? But maybe it won't fit.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:22 pm

freshjuice wrote:
Edward Ng wrote: Assuming memory serves me correctly for once, that's the same one that came on my MSi NX6600GT-128VTD; it sounds like an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer Rev. 3 on High, but smoother. I replaced mine with a VM-101.

-Ed
That's exactly where this came from, and I replaced it with a Vm-101 myself.. Heh. I believe someone wise and all-knowing recommended this to me. :wink:

So, I'm sorta curious if putting this to replace the stock mainboard fan would work a little better & quieter? But maybe it won't fit.
I don't think it's really worth it to try. Most mainboard gets along just fine with puny passive coolers, so a beefed-up passive cooler would be a better choice to try than this noisy piece, even if you somehow managed to get this onto the chipset.

-Ed

freshjuice
Friend of SPCR

Post by freshjuice » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:57 pm

OK - I'll swap it out then. What's a decent passive cooler to use for something that small?

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:03 pm

freshjuice wrote:OK - I'll swap it out then. What's a decent passive cooler to use for something that small?
This one is very difficult because, like on my own nF3 boards, the damn thing is so close to the AGP slot. I bought a special item called the Viper sink; the only way I know of to get one is at the DFI Street forums from the guy who makes them...

Let me go see if I can find his handle and you can e-mail him about one of his Viper Sinks for the nF3. He sells it with a fan, but the sink is more than sufficient for keeping the nF3 chipset cooled all by itself without the fan.

EDIT: BAM! Check it out; super low profile so it shouldn't interfere with your card, but believe me it's fine enough to deal with nF3 at stock speed without a fan.

-Ed

mathias

Post by mathias » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:08 pm

Edward Ng wrote:This one is very difficult because, like on my own nF3 boards, the damn thing is so close to the AGP slot.
Maybe it would be possible to just bend appart and maybe cut a possive NB heatsink to make it fit?

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:12 pm

mathias wrote:
Edward Ng wrote:This one is very difficult because, like on my own nF3 boards, the damn thing is so close to the AGP slot.
Maybe it would be possible to just bend appart and maybe cut a possive NB heatsink to make it fit?
Several users at DFI-Street did just that with the blue Zalman cooler.

I just recommended the ViperSink because it means less work and doesn't cost much, anyway.

-Ed

freshjuice
Friend of SPCR

Post by freshjuice » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:35 pm

I've sent an email to Viper for a quote.

In the meantime, while I'm waiting fora reply, would something like this work?
http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?L ... t%20Cooler

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:38 pm

freshjuice wrote:I've sent an email to Viper for a quote.

In the meantime, while I'm waiting fora reply, would something like this work?
http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?L ... t%20Cooler
You mean using a bunch of them, all packed up together on top? I suppose so, but that would cost a bunch of money; probably better at that rate to just hack up a Zalman.

-Ed

mathias

Post by mathias » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:48 pm

I have heard of someone using 4 large copper ramsinks, 20mm*20mm ones I think for one of those cramped NBs, but those are too small.

freshjuice
Friend of SPCR

Post by freshjuice » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:51 pm

Ahhh ... I guess I didn't realize how small they were. My bad. I guess my clearance needs to be no higher than about 20 mm, so Viper will have to be the one. I'm not the "modder" type. I mean, the boldest thing I've done so far is clip the wires from my Antec fan to run it to the MFC! And honestly it scared me to do it! :lol:

(P.S. OT - Ed - how do I tell the temp of my NX6600GT? I can't figure that out for the life of me.)

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:00 pm

freshjuice wrote:Ahhh ... I guess I didn't realize how small they were. My bad. I guess my clearance needs to be no higher than about 20 mm, so Viper will have to be the one. I'm not the "modder" type. I mean, the boldest thing I've done so far is clip the wires from my Antec fan to run it to the MFC! And honestly it scared me to do it! :lol:

(P.S. OT - Ed - how do I tell the temp of my NX6600GT? I can't figure that out for the life of me.)
As far as I can tell, you can't. I've tried several 3rd party software, several nVIDIA driver packages, nVIDIA's nTune package, the software MSi includes on the CD and even a few different driver packages from MSi's web site, and not a single solution can detect and report the temp. reading off the card. Users with the non-VIVO version of our card have reported functioning temperature report, so it seems we VIVO owners get the shaft. :cry:

The best I managed was to read the temperature using a probe from my multimeter inserted into the slit in the side of the VM-101's GPU block. I was getting up to 72C after overnight load from RTHDRIBL, so I'd guesstimate actual GPU temperature to have been in the mid to low 80s at the time. My 6800GT with stock cooling routinely broke into the 80s under extended load, so I'm not one bit worried, and nVIDIA themselves set these chips to not even ramp down for safety until past 120C.

-Ed

freshjuice
Friend of SPCR

Post by freshjuice » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:14 pm

Edward Ng wrote: As far as I can tell, you can't. ...

... My 6800GT with stock cooling routinely broke into the 80s under extended load, so I'm not one bit worried, and nVIDIA themselves set these chips to not even ramp down for safety until past 120C.

-Ed
Kind of weird -- especially since everything else about MSI seems to be so dead-on! But I appreciate the piece of mind.

FYI I just got this response from ViperJohn
Hi Dave

It doesn't look like a ViperSink would fit a Neo2. It was designed to fit a DFI 250GB.

John
So...I guess I'll have to get daring with a Blue Zalman now??? :shock:

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:19 pm

freshjuice wrote:
Edward Ng wrote: As far as I can tell, you can't. ...

... My 6800GT with stock cooling routinely broke into the 80s under extended load, so I'm not one bit worried, and nVIDIA themselves set these chips to not even ramp down for safety until past 120C.

-Ed
Kind of weird -- especially since everything else about MSI seems to be so dead-on! But I appreciate the piece of mind.

FYI I just got this response from ViperJohn
Hi Dave

It doesn't look like a ViperSink would fit a Neo2. It was designed to fit a DFI 250GB.

John
So...I guess I'll have to get daring with a Blue Zalman now??? :shock:
I guess so. :?