Sonata + P4P800 Deluxe + XP-120 - Will it fit?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mikeki

Sonata + P4P800 Deluxe + XP-120 - Will it fit?

Post by mikeki » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:24 am

I have a Sonata case and an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe motherboard. I would like to get an XP-120 cooler. The P4P800 is on the compatibility list, however I'm worried about overhang interfering with the PSU. There is only about 1cm between the edge of the board and the PSU.

Does anyone have this combination?

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:45 pm

I have a Sonata + P4P800-VM + XP-120. The P4P800-VM and the P4P800 Deluxe have the CPU socket in exact the same location. The heatsink itself just fits in this combination, but one of the clips to hold the fan on the HS can't be used. So you have to invent some ghetto construction the hold the fan in place.

mikeki

Post by mikeki » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:29 pm

Thanks Tibors. Nothing like knowing for sure before ordering. My CPU fan is super annoying and I have a few extra orange 120mm fans.

What type of ghetto contruction did you use and do you have a picture to post? :)

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:12 pm

This system is still "under construction". In the end the fan will be fit into a duct. I haven't figured out how to attach the duct to the heatsink yet.

mikeki

Post by mikeki » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:29 pm

I haven't done any real modding, but if your duct is secured to other locations, maybe you don't need to attach the fan to the heatsink, just make sure it's attached to the duct and have the duct cover the heatsink. This might solve your problem.

Then again, you don't want a duct flopping around your pc with the weight of a fan in it, if the duct isn't secure.

BlueCan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by BlueCan » Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:05 am

Tibors wrote:I have a Sonata + P4P800-VM + XP-120. The P4P800-VM and the P4P800 Deluxe have the CPU socket in exact the same location. The heatsink itself just fits in this combination, but one of the clips to hold the fan on the HS can't be used. So you have to invent some ghetto construction the hold the fan in place.
I disagree that both clips can't be used. Both can (and are in my setup). You just have to be clever in how you fit the clip that's against the PSU.

-Patrick

mikeki

Post by mikeki » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:57 am

Great more confirmation that it can be done. Thanks.
BlueCan wrote:You just have to be clever in how you fit the clip that's against the PSU.
The gauntlet has been thrown down! Stay tuned to find out if I can figure it out!

- Mike

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:19 am

Most people advise to mount the XP-120 to the mobo before putting the mobo into the case. With the Sonata this means the PSU has to be mounted into the case before the mobo. The result is you can no longer reach the mobo mounting hole between the CPU socket and the backplate.
You might succeed in reaching this hole by not mounting the fan on the heatsink until after mounting the mobo in the case. Then use needle nose pliers with a very long beak to put the screw in the hole and a long screw driver to tighten the screw. But my hands are not steady enough for that.

I'm going to test some different PSU configurations before building the fan duct. So I had to mount the fan in another way (temporarilly). I used the clip on the side not next to the PSU, used nothing at the third corner and used a zip-tie at the fourth corner. A three point attachment is sturdy enough.
Image Image
Click on the thumbnails to see the full images hosted at
ImageShack Free Image Hosting