Installing XP-120...

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mikeki

Installing XP-120...

Post by mikeki » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:38 pm

I'm getting ready to install an XP-120 inside a Antec SLK3000, and I'm looking for pointers. I'm not an expert at installing any heat sink, and this thing is enormous.

What order is easiest to install this bad boy?

1. Last - Just clip it on after everything is put together?
or
2. Mount on motherboard and then install entire MB / Processor / heat sink combonation at once?
or
3. Something much more creative than either one of those.

Thanks in advance.

rtsai

Re: Installing XP-120...

Post by rtsai » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:46 pm

mikeki wrote:I'm getting ready to install an XP-120 inside a Antec SLK3000, and I'm looking for pointers. I'm not an expert at installing any heat sink, and this thing is enormous.

What order is easiest to install this bad boy?

1. Last - Just clip it on after everything is put together?
or
2. Mount on motherboard and then install entire MB / Processor / heat sink combonation at once?
or
3. Something much more creative than either one of those.

Thanks in advance.
I found (2) is easiest. The clips can be kind of tricky to attach to the retention mechanism, depending on how crowded the motherboard is around the CPU area (capacitors, etc.). If your motherboard's CPU area is very open (doubtful with today's feature-packed motherboards), then you might be able to get away with (1). But even then, it might be kind of tricky to apply the thermal interface material, if this is your first time.

So mount your RAM, CPU, and heatsink onto the motherboard outside the case, then carefully put the motherboard into your case. However, there is not much room for your fingers when you lower the motherboard into the case (unless you have very small hands), so be careful when doing so, or you might drop the motherboard.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:49 pm

(based on my XP90 experience)

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:59 pm

You don't want to install it inside the case because it will be too hard to get to and you need some pressure to set the clips so I suggest putting the motherboard on something soft that you can press down on. Also don't press down on the fins to clip in place. Press down on the clips like the directions say and it will be a lot easier. - FG

JimK

Post by JimK » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:58 pm

XP120 on an ASUS A8V-Deluxe. I had room enough to push down on the clips with my fingertips and they snapped into place. Easier than I thought it would be after reading Ralf's review. Just looked inside the case now and it would be a lot harder with the Mobo installed.

mikeki

Post by mikeki » Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:02 pm

That pretty much looks unanimous. Out the board comes.

Thanks.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:58 am

Just in case you haven't picked up on the general trend, may I humbly suggest (#2) removing the board from the case?

poohbear

Post by poohbear » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:00 am

JimK wrote:#2

XP120 on an ASUS A8V-Deluxe. I had room enough to push down on the clips with my fingertips and they snapped into place. Easier than I thought it would be after reading Ralf's review. Just looked inside the case now and it would be a lot harder with the Mobo installed.
Can you tell me where is Ralf's review? Thanks.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:01 am

poohbear,
Go to the Main site.
On the left is a menu.
Select the Cooling section.
The XP-120 review is somewhere a quarter from the bottom of the list.

poohbear

Post by poohbear » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:10 pm

Thanks, yup I just realized after reading a few more threads that Ralf is a reviewer for SPCR. :D