XP-120 loose with A64 chip?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rtsai

XP-120 loose with A64 chip?

Post by rtsai » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:45 pm

I have an Soltek SL-K8TPro-939 motherboard, A64-3500+ Winchester CPU, and Thermalright XP-120 heatsink.

The XP-120 is mounted with a special retention mechanism (doesn't work with the stock RM on the motherboard), and is tension-clipped (not screwed on).

Would it be possible for the tension to wear out over time and be too loose (e.g., not keep heatsink surface tightly in contact with CPU heat spreader)?

That shouldn't be the case in my system because the system is only a few days old. However, the motherboard BIOS (e.g., not even booted into an operating system yet) reports CPU temperatures of 50C, at what should be completely idle. But other threads in this forum (such as this one) imply that temperatures should be more in the 30C range. Any ideas on why my temperatures are much higher? I am using the goop that came with the XP-120, since the general consensus on many websites is that any decent goop should work well enough.

I'm going to try re-installing the HSF, but I thought I did a decent job the first time ... :oops:

frankgehry

tension

Post by frankgehry » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:44 pm

The instructions for my xp-120 said to twist the heat sink just a little if possible to make good contact with the thermal stuff - after attaching the clips. So if you can twist it alot, then something is probably wrong. - FG

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: XP-120 loose with A64 chip?

Post by MikeC » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:26 pm

rtsai wrote:I have an Soltek SL-K8TPro-939 motherboard, A64-3500+ Winchester CPU, and Thermalright XP-120 heatsink...

..the motherboard BIOS (e.g., not even booted into an operating system yet) reports CPU temperatures of 50C, at what should be completely idle. But other threads in this forum (such as this one) imply that temperatures should be more in the 30C range. Any ideas on why my temperatures are much higher?
There's a sample of that Soltek board here in the lab that I've been exploring, and it appears the board accesses the 2nd thermal sensor in the A64 -- and maybe the first as well. I can't recall exactly because it's been a couple weeks since I looked at this.

Both the P4 and the A64 have TWO thermal diodes in them. One is used for casual monitoring that is accepted by most of us as being the CPU core temp. The other one is used by the internal thermal protection circuit which shuts down the the CPU from working at all when a part of the die reaches 125C in the A64 -- not sure of the exact temp in the P4, but it's around there. Just like a circuit breaker.

My Soltek SL-K8TPro-939 sample's "CPU temp" sensor appears to read this second diode. This may or may not have changed; it did arrivea couple months ago, and boards are tweaked constantly by the mfgs.

To be more certain, while in the BIOS, just feel the top of the base of the HS where it meets the CPU. If it feels REALLY hot, then that 50C is in fact a casing temp and not the hottest core temp reading.

---------

All the above brings to mind the question: Why 2 sensors? and why is this more deeply embedded hotter position diode not used for temp monitoring?

The answer is Marketing, I believe: Intel made a decision somewhere along the way to hide real core temp. To keep the geek masses calm, happy. "What they don't know..." Kind of goes along with specifying Thermal Design Power instead of Max Power.

Why would AMD duplicate this in the A64? Following the precedent set by Intel. If they just showed the true hottest temp in the core, they'd look too hot compared to the P4. Keep it simple, continue the CPU temp "protocol."

All this is speculation, of course.

The other possibility is that before thermal diodes appeared in CPUs, the standard procedure for establishing safe CPU cooling was to embed a thermal probe in the center of the base of the heatsink, mount it, then use the output from this thermistor to establish the outer CPU casing temp and track it under a controlled burn of the CPU. With a decent sampling of CPUs, you could establish the min casing temp at which the core would actually burn. For safety's sake, define the max recommend temp to be 20C (or whatever) below that.

The casing temp is still referred to in both AMD and Intel docs when they talk about max safe CPU temps, and the method to measure casing temp is as described above. (Go ahead and check in any of their thermal reference tech docs.) For CPU cooling developers (read: HS makers), this is the reference they are supposed to test with.

I wrote a long time ago how the P4's thermal monitoring diode is placed in a corner of the die far away from the core which can be 15~20C higher and that this seems like a kind of deception. This may well be true, but it also seems to me now that the corner placement of the diode may have been an attempt to replicate the external casing temp readings obtained by the HS-base embedded thermal sensor technique., which remains in use as the primary experimental reference for both Intel and AMD.

rtsai

Post by rtsai » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:11 pm

Well, my heatsink wasn't hot at all to the touch (barely warm, in fact).

More interesting is a very recently-posted download on Soltek's website: "Fixed CPU temperature issue".

Unfortunately, my computer is legacy-free (no floppy drive), so I have to figure out a way to flash the BIOS (probably wastefully burn a CD) ...

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:12 pm

rtsai wrote:Unfortunately, my computer is legacy-free (no floppy drive), so I have to figure out a way to flash the BIOS (probably wastefully burn a CD) ...
I bought CDRWs for that sole purpose.

rtsai

Post by rtsai » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:31 pm

OK, this thread is officially hijacked, but it's mine, so I guess it's OK :?

I've unfortunately hoarded a ton of free-after-rebate CDRs (and I don't make that many CDs to begin with), so I don't have a real financial incentive to go buy some CDRWs. I do have another computer with a 3.5" floppy, but I have to convince myself to go to the trouble of removing it (and putting it back when I'm done).

But now that I think of it, I don't have any 3.5" disks.

CDR it is :roll:. Wanna trade a CDRW for a 50- or 100-CDR spindle? :)

rtsai

Post by rtsai » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:33 pm

Bring this thread back on-topic, has anyone in their years of system-building experience had a tension-mounted heatsink lose its tension (and thus its effectiveness) after many mount/unmount cycles or after many years?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:38 pm

rtsai --

Thanks for pointing out the new Soltek BIOS. Maybe my long & involved discussions and complaints with their tech people helped make this happen... assuming the new BIOS accesses the "correct" CPU thermal diode.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:40 pm

rtsai wrote:Bring this thread back on-topic, has anyone in their years of system-building experience had a tension-mounted heatsink lose its tension (and thus its effectiveness) after many mount/unmount cycles or after many years?
Zalman 3000 clips were solft and go weak quickly over time on a vertically mounted board. On the XP120, I cannot see it happening -- it is so dang tight anyway.

Chuckinator1985

Post by Chuckinator1985 » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:18 pm

This does not seem like it would be a problem. I have an SL K8Tpro-939 and an XP-120 right now, and it seems very sturdy. As far as the temperature issuee, the new W1.4 BIOS does fix the bios reported temp, but as far as I know, Windows-based temperature monitoring programs still report incorrect temperatures. Soltek has a beta version of their hardware monitor at their website which supposedly reads correct temperatures. I'm currently reading 36C CPU and 24C case at idle.

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:34 am

The "problem" here is that the motherboard needs to "calibrate" (actually set a new offset for the reading) the temp sensor with NewCastle core. This is not required with Clawhammer core.

My MSI K8N Neo Platinum had this same flaw: idle temps in Windows ~50°C, pushing with Prime95 I got to 73°C (AMD says max. allowable temp is 70°C). Sometimes when I rebooted, I got 15-20°C lower temps (both idle and load).

The problem was solved with a new BIOS. Now I get ~30°C idle, and about 56-58°C load. (These are with the basic AMD's Cool 'n' Quiet - CrystalCPUID enabled load temps are about 10°C lower.)

I do still get some deviation between reboots (<5°C).

Cheers,

Jan

v3n

Post by v3n » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:32 am

mine is quite loose but the cpu idles @ 26 with 1.5v and 2.5ghz so i know its fine 8)

Jim Byram
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: XP-120 loose with A64 chip?

Post by Jim Byram » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:57 pm

MikeC wrote:There's a sample of that Soltek board here in the lab that I've been exploring, and it appears the board accesses the 2nd thermal sensor in the A64 -- and maybe the first as well.
I built a system using the Soltek SL-K890Pro-939 last week and have run into this issue.

The bios gives one reading and the Soltek Hardware Monitor gives a second reading some 16-18 degrees C higher. So the bios appears to be reading one sensor and the hardware monitor software the second.

Wasn't happy seeing the HM giving a reading of 59-60 degrees C for no clear reason until I concluded that it could only be explained by reading two different sensors.

rtsai

Post by rtsai » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:12 pm

Is this before or after applying the W1.4 BIOS update?

On my SL-K8TPro-939, with the W1.4 BIOS update, the BIOS consistently reports temperatures about 10C lower than what is reported by lm-sensors on Linux.

Jim Byram
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Jim Byram » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:13 am

rtsai wrote:Is this before or after applying the W1.4 BIOS update?

On my SL-K8TPro-939, with the W1.4 BIOS update, the BIOS consistently reports temperatures about 10C lower than what is reported by lm-sensors on Linux.
Different bios with the SL-K890Pro-939. The bios reports one CPU temperature and the HM reports a much higher CPU temperature with both the T1.0 and T1.1 (released 3/15) bios versions.

The only temperature reading detected by SpeedFan that responds to heating the system is comparable to the HM CPU (diode) reading but Speedfan gives a reading 5 degrees lower than HM.