Will Zalman break/bend the K8V SE Deluxe mobo??!

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

filete

Will Zalman break/bend the K8V SE Deluxe mobo??!

Post by filete » Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:26 am

Hello there,

I am building a new system, using Asus K8V SE Deluxe motherboard,
with Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu CPU cooler.
Well I just got the Zalman heatsink, and now I just notice that
his weight is 773g !!!

If you go to the details of this model at Zalman website, at the bottom of
the webpage you will see this warning:
The maximum weight for a cooler is specified as 450g for Intel Socket 478/775 and AMD Socket 754/939/940, and 300g for AMD Socket 462 CPU. Special care should be taken when moving a computer equipped with a cooler which exceeds the relevant weight limit.
Zalman Tech is not responsible for any damage that occurs when moving a computer.
:!:

So, how can they build a heatsink with 773g, and after that write
a warning that Socket 754 motherboards have a maximum weight for a cooler of 450g ?!

Can other users of this Zalman model and K8V SE, explain me how can you mount this model without break or bend the motherboard?
Also other ways to mount the heatsink without taking the original plate of the motherboard!
( I don´t feel like using a hairdryer or using to much force with some tool!)

All the help will be much apreciate!

Qwertyiopisme

Post by Qwertyiopisme » Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:42 am

The max 450G requirement is meant for big OEMS, that have to ship built computers on trucks and stuff, where they are subjected to very nasty bumps and jarrs (somewhere around 10G's I believe). So 700grams wont kill your bracket directly, just be carefull when moving your computer to not be all too violent with it.

As for the stock back plate, when I built a system for a few friends of mine, I kept the stock one and re-used the orignal screws, and tightened it to the same tightness as it would have been with zalmans by comparing the hieght of the standoffs to the position of the bracket.

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:50 am

I'm using something similar and it's perfectly safe. The through-the-board mounts look a lot sturdier to me than using plastic brackets, personally.

filete

Post by filete » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:00 am

As for the stock back plate, when I built a system for a few friends of mine, I kept the stock one and re-used the orignal screws, and tightened it to the same tightness as it would have been with zalmans by comparing the hieght of the standoffs to the position of the bracket.
Hi,
You mean using the screws that come with the motherboard?
The ones that are holding the black square?

About the weight of the heatsink , I am glad there is other users
with no problems!
And I´m sure I ain´t gonna shake the computer!
:wink:

Qwertyiopisme

Post by Qwertyiopisme » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:07 am

filete wrote:
Hi,
You mean using the screws that come with the motherboard?
The ones that are holding the black square?

About the weight of the heatsink , I am glad there is other users
with no problems!
And I´m sure I ain´t gonna shake the computer!
:wink:
Yep, Just remove the stock fan holder, and reuse those screws, they fit perfectly into the bracket for the 7000. Just be sure to not to tighten it more than it would be if you had used zalmans backplate.

filete

Post by filete » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:27 am

Just be sure to not to tighten it more than it would be if you had used zalmans backplate.

I supposed as long as you tighten them until you get the metal brackets make a 90º angle
relate to the center of the heatsink, that will be ok, no?
But do you use the golden nipples (see bottom picture) that come with the Zalman or just screw direct to the back plate of the motherboard?

bendit

Post by bendit » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:51 pm

I had to force the backplate off and it was touch and go whether or not I had ruined the board. It turns out it was ok. It works great with the Zalman supplied materials. I suggest you get that hair drier out. ;-)

regards,

Mike

Michael Sandstrom

Will Zalman break/bend the k8v se deluxe

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:33 pm

Felete,

I mounted a Zalman 7000 alcu on my k8v se deluxe without removing the stock backplate. I did this by obtaining shorter nipplles from Zalman that are designed to work with the stock backplate. The stock backplate protrudes 4mm above the surface of the board. The nipples that you have are 14mm and are 4mm too long. At no charge Zalman customer support sent me 10mm niples that worked perfectly. The installation was very easy and the cooler is completely secure. :D

filete

Re: Will Zalman break/bend the k8v se deluxe

Post by filete » Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:54 am

At no charge Zalman customer support sent me 10mm niples that worked perfectly. The installation was very easy and the cooler is completely secure. :D
:D
Thanks for the tip!
I´ve just contact Zalman support to ask if they can mail me
the 10 mm nipples too.
I am waiting for their answer!

But can´t you just remove the stock fan holder, and reuse those screws directly to the motherboard back plate, like "Qwertyiopisme" did?

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:25 pm

That may be ok but I am not sure. When the 10mm nipples are used you can be sure that the cooler is at the proper height and tension. Also, with the nipples used the two flanges on the cooler seat firmly to the nipples and there is no side to side play possible.

I got the idea to email Zalman for shorter nipples from a Zalman forum post. Zalman responded quickly and I emailed back my address and I had the shorter nipples in about 10 days.

Regards :D

filete

Post by filete » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:58 pm

I got the idea to email Zalman for shorter nipples from a Zalman forum post. Zalman responded quickly and
I emailed back my address and I had the shorter nipples in about 10 days.
Still no email from Zalman!
:cry:

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:48 pm

Hopefully, they will reply.

If not, removal of the backplate may be the best option. I have not done this but I did research the procedure. People have successfully used warm air from a hair dryer to loosen the adhesive and a credit card to pry the backplate loose. You would need to be careful about static electricity.

The option to keep the stock backplate and install without nipples might be risky due to the 700+ gram mass of your unit.

dshao1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dshao1 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:23 pm

Hi Filete,

I'd recommend using the Zalman backplate and nipples.

When I initially installed a 7000Cu on an Asus SK8V board using the original backplate and screws, I couldn't attach the heatsink tight enough (the heatsink could rotate relatively easily and I was getting idle temps of 66C with a Nexus fan running at 12V).

I then used the Zalman backplate and nipples and was able to get the heatsink set firmly, now idle temps are 36C with a Nexus fan running at 7V).

I didn't know that Zalman could supply 10mm nipples when I was doing this, so that might work too.

filete

Post by filete » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:37 am

Hi again,
I got a reply from Zalman about the 10 mm nipples to use on 7000Cu with the original motherboard backplate.
They ask me to contact Zalman in my country, so I did and until today,
I am still waiting for an answer!
:x

Because I need to build my system quick, I made some more research and look what I found in Zalman website
(info from February 2005) about this issue!
There have been no reported problems regarding compatibility between the CNPS7700-Cu and the ASUS A8V Deluxe when using our backplate. But, we do recommend that CNPS7700-Cu be installed on the ASUS A8V Deluxe with the backplate provided with the motherboard.

According to AMD's official design guide, motherboard manufacturers MUST not put electric components that contact the backplate at the back side of a motherboard. However, Zalman will make efforts to minimize customers' inconvenience by searching for & informing of such motherboards.

If you would like to use the A8V Deluxe motherboard's original backplate with the the CNPS7700-Cu, please refer to following procedures.
1. Remove the retention frame only, and place the CNPS7700-Cu at the center of the CPU.
2. Screw in the original bolts provided with the motherboard, then tighten each bolt a few turns at a time while alternating between
the two until the distance between the motherboard and the bottom of the L-Type grips is 13.5mm.
TIP : You can easily check the 13.5mm distance by placing the CNPS7700's "AMD64 nipple" between the motherboard and
the bottom of the L-Type grips as shown below.

This info was sign from Jinkook Kim/ZALMAN and refers to 7700´s models,
but I am sure it works with 7000´s models.
I hope this will help members to decide what procedure to take!
I myself, will go this way!!
:D