Recommended nForce4 Motherboard with undervolting

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

paulsiu

Recommended nForce4 Motherboard with undervolting

Post by paulsiu » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:12 am

I like to know if you folks have any recommendation on a decent Nforce4 Ultra motherboard with the following features:

1. Ability to undervolt.
2. PCI express Slots
3. SATA
4. SPDIF out
5. An integrated audio that doesn't have crappy crosstalk noise.
6. Infrared header.
7. Built in wireless would be a plus, but not necessary.
8. Socket 939 with Cool and Quiet (apparently not implemented on many mb).

Paul

Blappo

Post by Blappo » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:46 am

The DFI Lanparty UT Ultra-D doesn't have the built in wireless, but it can do all the rest (I'll check about the available voltages tonight).

If you are worried about the HSF on the chipset, it can be replaced with a passive heatsink (by bending, cutting the heatsink). Or if you place the video card in the 2nd PCI Express slot and run it at 8x it will be clear of the chipset (My PC runs at about 97% of the performance with the video card running at x8 compared to x16).

ilh

Post by ilh » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:23 pm

The DFI Ultra-D can undervolt the CPU down to 0.8V according to the BIOS. You can also control the startup voltage separately.

I went down to 1.16V (1.2V selected) with my Winchester 3500+ at 200x10 (stock is 200x11 @ 1.4V), and could boot and run SuperPi but not Prime. I hope to come back to investigating undervolting soon. I didn't really try to tweak very much at the time.

--Lee

bookman

Post by bookman » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:47 pm

How does this board compare to the ASUS NF4 boards? Do these have an IR header too? DFI has a fan to cool down the NF4 chip, which can be noisy, and it looks like the position in the DFI board precludes the use of a passive Zalman solution to cool the NF4 chip. Any thoughts on this?