What is the best SMALL but quiet HSF for Socket A

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

okayfine

What is the best SMALL but quiet HSF for Socket A

Post by okayfine » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:58 am

Hello. I'm currently watercooling my AMD dually system (whisper quiet), but I've decided to try moving it to a rackmount case and aircool it.

The problem is, the two socket A's are close to each other that I don't think I can use Zalman 7000. Mobo in question is Tyan Thunder K7 S2462 - you can look at the socket A spacing : http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk7.html

So, do you guys have any recommendations on a small but pretty good heatsink. Obviously, I want to keep this thing quiet. The two CPU's are Barton's overclocked to 3000+

Thanks in advance.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:14 am

The tough one is actually the one close to the AGP slot. Are you running or planning on running an AGP card in there? If not, then the best thing to get would probably be either the SI-97 or the SLK-900A.

BTW, do you even have 4 mounting holes around the socket? My dual A7M266D doesn't.

If you DO plan on running an AGP video card, then the next thing I'd recommend would be the Alpha S-PAL 8055. I think that's probably the best heatsink you'll find that doesn't extend much further than the socket itself.

Keep in mind that you can pretty much use whatever heatsink you wanted for the socket that's NOT close to the AGP slot.

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:13 pm

I fiddled about with that mobo for awhile. Lost interest in the dually thing though and sold it.

If I remember correctly, I had SLK-800s fitting fine on there. I'm not sure if the SLK-900 will work, might get a bit close between the two sockets. A cooler like the SLK-800 is great because it doesn't 'overlap' to the side towards the AGP slot. What will likely be a closer situation is the slight vertical overlap between the two sockets. The corners of your chosen heatsinks will likely be real close, or interfering.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:34 am

Have you looked at the Aerocool tower coolers. Looking at pictures of the HT-101, HT-101jr and DP-103 the fins don't seem to stick outside the mounting plate in the clip to clip direction. You can mount the fan on either side. Don't know how good the included fans are, but you can always swap those.

Webfire
Friend of SPCR

Post by Webfire » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:20 am

The fan of the HT-101 is not too bad, a little bit of clicking at 5V but it's ok. But I swapped the fan with a coolermate and this one is really nice.

From what you can see on the picture two HTs might fit, but I'm not too sure about that.
Check out my system, I used a HT-101, perhaps you can see if it might fit on your board:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=16314

The only problem is the weight, two towercoolers on one mainboard might be a little too much.

ddrueding1

Post by ddrueding1 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:35 am

Webfire wrote:The only problem is the weight, two towercoolers on one mainboard might be a little too much.
The cool thing about a rack-mount chassis is the weight is all pushing down...no cantiliever action at all. Therefore no real weight restrictions.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:53 am

Hello:

The new version of the Alpha uses the triple clips on the Socket A; rather than the 4 holes trough the motherboard. It has space for an 80mm fan, and it tends to fit very well in tight areas.

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6835112008

winguy

Post by winguy » Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:55 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello:

The new version of the Alpha uses the triple clips on the Socket A; rather than the 4 holes trough the motherboard. It has space for an 80mm fan, and it tends to fit very well in tight areas.

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6835112008
Scythe Kamakaze vs Alpha 8055 , which would perform better?

manni

Post by manni » Sun May 08, 2005 7:02 am

Does GlacialTech SilentBreeze III (datasheet) fit to your MB? GlacialTech has also many other interesting Socket A models.

BlueTide

Re: What is the best SMALL but quiet HSF for Socket A

Post by BlueTide » Sun May 08, 2005 7:49 am

okayfine wrote:Hello. I'm currently watercooling my AMD dually system (whisper quiet), but I've decided to try moving it to a rackmount case and aircool it.
Just out of the curiosity, how is/was your watercooling setup configured? I'm running dual 2800MPs here and was wondering about watercooling too, even if at this time it would make little sense because of a single very loud hdd I need to get rid of first. But, what kind of pump and grill did you had on it and what all did it cool and how well?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun May 08, 2005 4:02 pm

Hello:
winguy wrote:Scythe Kamakaze vs Alpha 8055 , which would perform better?
Well, with the stock fan, I'd get the Scythe, and install the fan blowing up. I would not get the Alpha with it's stock fan. They both perform very well, and they are very close -- probably a hair's breadth apart. The Alpha is a bit bigger -- it only reduces the size of the shroud on one side, and the dimension of the reduction is smaller. The Scythe tapers the shroud on all four sides.

The Scythe has more pins (maybe 100 more?) and they are smaller, and all oval. The Alpha has larger pins, and the ones in the center (under the fan hub, roughly) are octagonal, while the outer 4 or 5 rows are square.

It may come down to the fan that you would choose for the Alpha; vs the stock Scythe fan. And they both work better with the fan blowing up; sucking air through the HS.

okayfine

Re: What is the best SMALL but quiet HSF for Socket A

Post by okayfine » Wed May 18, 2005 1:48 pm

Just out of the curiosity, how is/was your watercooling setup configured? I'm running dual 2800MPs here and was wondering about watercooling too, even if at this time it would make little sense because of a single very loud hdd I need to get rid of first. But, what kind of pump and grill did you had on it and what all did it cool and how well?
Love my watercooling setup because it is totally quiet even with all the HD's on them. I'm using the Antec 1440 case which is a very large 12 bay server case. The 12 bays are run vertically on one side, and the motherboard fits on a separate compartment on the opposite side. There is lots of room for watercooling equipment. I have a Maze 3 on one CPU and MAZE 4 on the other one, eheim pump, and large radiator that will take 2 120mm fans, but I have 3 90mm fans on it because the case came with 90mm fans and cutouts. The PSU is tagan and it has a duct bringing fresh air straight into the PSU. Everything is concealed inside. There is no ugly getto blow holes or other mods - it looks very professional. One day, I am going to take pictures and post it on various forums because it's a very well executed set up. I've been running it 24/7 for a few years now without a single hiccup.

The only problem is, I need to set up more servers and workstations, so I want to move everything into a rackmount system. The current setup I have now is excellent for a single workstation, but since I need to move to a cluster of servers and workstations, I am going to have to say goodbye to my baby.