Silverstone nt01 heatsink

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Shadowknight

Silverstone nt01 heatsink

Post by Shadowknight » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:05 pm

I've tried using the search function and couldn't find any solid feedback on how good this heatsink is. I'm considering ordering one for my system. I have a 3700amb case with the grills removed and a phantom 350w psu.

Would this cooler be effective in my case, as opposed to the windtunnel in the special silverstone case reviewed by MikeC?

frankgehry

tj06 review

Post by frankgehry » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:06 am

s,

Isn't it reviewed in the silverstone tj06 case review? Someone else built a system using this heatsink and there is probably a description in the gallery. I couldn't find it, but I did a google seach on silverstone nt01 that led to the silverstone web site. SPCR is listed there as having a review along with 5 or 6 other review sites.

You could just line it up with the rear exhaust and depending on what kind of setup you have you could just use the rear exhaust fan or have another fan pushing air though the nt01 to the rear exhaust fan. I think I would use a fan to push air through to the exhaust fan, but it probably depends on how close to the rear exhaust you can get the nt01. Even Silverstone is using two fans and a special tube in the tj06. - FG

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:51 am

I'm using one in my latest project. In it's final config, there's a 120mm Yate Loon above it blowing out, and also a slim 80mm below it as a back-up (turns on at high temps).

Admittedly, this is not a standard system, but the heatsink itself works great (P4-3.2Northwood), and runs very cool, considering the low airflow.

The problem is getting it to fit your board, and your case. I had to bend the heatpipes slightly, as well as dremel everything to get it to seat properly on the CPU.

High-quality heatsink....tough to install. :lol:

Shadowknight

Re: tj06 review

Post by Shadowknight » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:30 am

frankgehry wrote:s,

Isn't it reviewed in the silverstone tj06 case review? Someone else built a system using this heatsink and there is probably a description in the gallery. I couldn't find it, but I did a google seach on silverstone nt01 that led to the silverstone web site. SPCR is listed there as having a review along with 5 or 6 other review sites.
Yeah, but:

1. The SPCR review used it in a case that seemed to be specifically made to cool off this particular h/s
2. I'm generall not impressed by other review sites, as they usually tend to favor the overclocking/performancec/LOUD crowd

Also, Bluefront uses a funky, custom setup. I'm looking for feedback on a more conventional computer setup.

By the wayt, does anybody know what the difference betwen the "normal" h/s and the revisin 2.0 is? Other than any extra $10?

So... anybody else have this heatsink?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:02 am

Link

The base mount setup is different from my version. Everything else looks the same. This might make it an easier install....

frankgehry

shadow

Post by frankgehry » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:38 am

Shadow,

Bluefront was the guy I was thinking about and I don't think I would like to modify the base either although its a clever installation. Would you consider another tower heat sink. I've always thought the coolermaster hyper 6 looked promising, but its pretty heavy. Its reviewed here. If your goal is to get the best tower heatsink you could post again and get a general discussion about different models and issues or if you really want the nt01 I'm sure someone is using one and will post about it. - FG

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:47 pm

I got the heatsink today and installed it...

Wished I hadn't.

I didn't have the "optimal" position motherboard. I had two positions to install it in, next to the PSU and next to the 9800 pro. I put it next to the 9800 because of some of the reports of the Phantom overheating.

I'm thankful that P4s throttle down when they get hot. After running that half life 2 demo for 2 minutes, basically the intro before you actually get to play, I noticed that the game was noticably slower than usual. Upon exiting, the CPU was reporting a temp of 85C through MBM5.

Yeah.

And this was AFTER I removed the aluminum shroud to get a 2 degree drop in idle temps.

So, this heatsink might be good if you have the right motherboard, or with a fan, maybe positioned next to it with a Sunbeam anywhere rack, but I would NOT recommend it for a highend system.

P.S. - I have a Northwood, not a prescott processor.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:21 am

Too bad you haven't been successful with the Silverstone. But since you've shown no photos of your setup, I can only speculate as to your problem.

IMHO...this heatsink was never really designed for sort-of passive use. The fins are too tightly spaced. If you simply have the heatsink sitting in front of the rear case fan, much of the airflow is going around the edges of the fins....not through the center. You need a tight duct to make it work right.

My setup uses a P4-3.2 NW....the main cooling fan is a 120mm Yate Loon. The idle temp at 25C ambient (today) is 37C at 1100rpms.....With two instances of CPUBurn running, the fan increases to 1500rpms, and the temp maxes at 46C.

Your conclusions about this heatsink are probably skewed by your own setup....this heatsink works well for me.

luggage

Post by luggage » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:15 am

I'm sorry that this didn't work very well for you but...

This is the image I got from your post and sig.

Somehow I don't see how you could possibly think this would work.

If it was turn 90 deg so the sink was in front of your systems only fan, yes - perhaps with some ducting.

Sell it and try with one that will work with your motherboards mounting direction. Or get another motherboard.

len509

Post by len509 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:25 am

If you wanted to try a fanless CPU setup, you might try getting a Thermalright XP-120 or XP-90 with an Antec 3000B. The CPU duct of the 3000B helped my brother's 2.8 Northwood temps go down by 5-6 degrees. Which previously used a 120mm Mad Dog at 40%.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:35 am

I bought a 3000b sidepanel to use on my AMB, I even put my 92mm nexus on top of my 9800pro to blow air through the heatsink. Didn't help.

It probably won't make a big difference, but I'll go ahead and wait through the 3-day curing period for AS3, see what the max load temp is then.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Fri May 13, 2005 5:33 pm

Yo, another question. I've had mine installed for two days now, and My load temp hits around 70 degrees. Should it be that high? I've made a cardboard duct to the Nexus 120mm running at 850rpm to ensure airflow through the heatsink.

I applied AS3 by doing the : put a ricece sized grain of TIM on the center of the heatspreader, then placed the HS directly on top of it. Should I have done the method of spreading TIM on the chip with a credit card? I've had no differencee between these two methods in the past. Also, the bottom looked a bit rough, and I'm considering ordering a lapping kit to see if this might help.

My NT01 is facing the case exhaust, so it has the optimal positioning for airflow.

Thoughts from other NT01 owner?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat May 14, 2005 5:47 am

What is your ambient temp, case temp, as well as your vidcard and HDD temps? You certainly have a bunch of hot running components in there, but my guess would be that the two 120 Nexii should be enough to keep things borderline cool, at least.

If you've ducted the HS right to your exhaust fan, I can't see how you'd be getting 70°C load temps, assuming your heatsink is mounted properly. What's your CPU idle temp?

Have you considered mounting a 5V Nexus 120 on the heatsink? (assuming that's possible..I have no experience with the NT01) Just for grins, (and a bit more airflow in your case) have you considered swapping out the fanless PSU for a actively cooled PSU?

Until I know more about your other temps, I'm really only guessing here, but 70°C under load is fairly hot for a P4 3.0C (oh, is it a NW or a Preschott? If is a Prescott, all bets are off, and you can probably ignore this entire post :) ) on an Asus board (that tends to under-report CPU temps).

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Sat May 14, 2005 7:39 am

Ambient ~ 70F
Case: 37C
CPU at idle: ~38-45C
Video Card: no sensor built into it
HD temp: 40C

The duct is "open" on the side next to the PSU, so the Phantom will get airflow.

CPU is a 3.0C Northwood. Current MB is a Shuttle AB60R, just forgot to update my sig.