heatsink for P4 2.4 478 socket ???

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

swortsoul

heatsink for P4 2.4 478 socket ???

Post by swortsoul » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:12 pm

Hey All

I'm new here. Been lurking for a while. I'd like to get rid of the noisy fan on my cpu. I started looking at the XP-90 with a better fan. The XP-90 specs on newegg say it's for P4 3.2 GHz and up. Will it not fit on a 2.4?

If not, what should I look at for a 2.4? I've searched, and can't find an answer. I'm also using an Abit IS7-E mobo with a Sonata case.

Also, I'll try to tag this along with this post, even though it is probably better suited in another forum. The mobo has a tiny fan on the chipset (I believe) that is very noisy. Is there anything I can do with that?

Finally, I'm using speedfan, so I can already lower the rpms, but would like to replace the current fans.

Thanks
Tim

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:37 pm

It will fit any P4 UP TO a 3.2gig . It is an excellent cooler if it fits your case - mobo combination . (watch for clearance issues with the power supply if your cpu socket is right at the top of the board and the mounting faces with the narrow side vertical ) I had this issue and was unable to use it ( Gigabyte micro ATX mobo in an InWin V500 A case , a micro ATX mini tower about the size of an Antec Aria case on its side)
If you are using a full size ATX case you should not have a problem.

swortsoul

Post by swortsoul » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:43 pm

Thanks for that. I had to check to be sure, but newegg does say "Intel: Pentium-4 socket 478 3.2 GHz and above", so I'm not entirely crazy.

Ordering one now.

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:42 pm

In a Sonata case should fit easily - I just had a look in mine and there is plenty of room .

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:48 pm

As for your north bridge cooler , Zalman make an excellent passive cooler for these at not a great cost . Whether it can be used or not depends on how your cooler is attached - and if the attachment on the board is not suitable , on your modding skills

len509

Post by len509 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:47 am

The Zalman and Cooler Master Northbridge heatsinks use mounting holes not compatible with your Intel board. You'd have to use an epoxy (permanent glue), try to get it on there with thermal tape, try to get clip(s) from another motherboard, or make your own clip.

Thermalright and Swiftech have Northbridge heatsinks that are compatible with your IS7-E. Both are available at Best Byte, which is highly recommended here at SPCR. But you might want to check to see if you have enough room for it after you install the XP-90.

swortsoul

Post by swortsoul » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:21 am

Thanks again everyone. len509, that's exactly what I was looking for. I've looked through Abit's site and here, but haven't found an exact match. Do you, or anyone else, know which heatsink is compatible with my board (Abit IS7-E)? I've seen several posts on people making clips. I'd rather just buy a product off the shelf that I know will work.

I've looked at the page a bit. Are you talking about just buying one of the heatsinks and using the adhesive to attach it? Or is there something made specifically for the clips on that board?

One last question, I've read that some people just remove the fan from the blue heat sink, and use it passively. There isn't a temp sensor for the NB chipset (I don't believe). Are the heatsinks at Best Byte better then just the blue one?

I'm also going with the XP-90 with a Panaflo fan.

Thanks yet again.

swortsoul

Post by swortsoul » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:01 am

Sorry, I just read the "Heatsinks: Common Issues (Please read before posting!)" stickey and saw the thing about heatsinks with epoxy.

I guess my real question is, has anyone ran the Abit IS7-E with just a heatsink? Has anyone done it with just the stock blue one, or would you suggest getting something like the Zahlman?

Thanks

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:38 pm

Dude, you've got the optimal motherboard design to use the Silverstone NT01 passive heatsink. It should have no problem cooling your CPU as long as you have a decent system fan.

Zillidot

Post by Zillidot » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:42 pm

I have an Abit IC7-G motherboard which has the same noisy chipset fan. I just leave it unplugged, and it appears to work fine (I don't overclock).

Later on I added a Zalman ZM-OP1 on my video card, which also directs a bit of airflow towards the chipset. You can see a picture here. I don't know if the extra airflow helps, since it worked fine without it, but I'm sure it can't hurt :)