Adapting AND K8 HSF for use with K7 CPU's

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

okayfine

Adapting AND K8 HSF for use with K7 CPU's

Post by okayfine » Wed May 18, 2005 8:26 am

Hello. I'm watercooling dual Bartons right now but I'm looking to switch to air-cooling in order to move my stuff into a rack.

So, I ran across some nice HSF's for K8 processors. The one I am interested in is Cooler Master Hyper 6 (KHC-V81). Reviewed here : http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/hyper6/

My question is, is it possible to mount these K8 coolers into K7 Bartons? I don't mind modding things, and my motherboard has the 4 mounting holes.

Thanks in advance.

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Wed May 18, 2005 10:08 pm

That would depend on your modding skills - but why would you want to ?
It would be very hard to find a cooler more suited to an athlon than an SI-97
or even a Zalman.
And for a dually a couple of SLK 800 s would do the job or maybe SLK-900A s

okayfine

Post by okayfine » Thu May 19, 2005 2:41 am

There are a couple reason why I would be interested in this.

The coolers with latest technologies that will allow me to not use a fan on them only exists for the newer processor types. With a properly ventilated horizontal rackmount case, many of these newer HSF's don't need fans on them directly as long as there is sufficient airflow across the whole case with the heatsink fins arranged appropriately.

Secondly, space is an issue with dual CPU's, It is impossible to slap on two zalmans, or two SI-97's. The only narrow and tall HSF's I've found only work with K8 or pentium processors.

If anyone have any other ideas, I would appreciate them. Thanks.

mathias

Post by mathias » Thu May 19, 2005 9:49 am

How about an aerocool HT101? It's a lot like a hyper 6. Or maybe a NCU-1000 or 2000 might work(don't know if either of these is socketA compatible though).

How close together are the CPU's? Maybe you could use two thermalright 9**'s and have one 120mm fan blowing on both of them?