CPU temp record?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

peterson

CPU temp record?

Post by peterson » Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:50 am

My PC was on over the night as usual. But unusually, my T-Balancer somehow lost contact or something during night, and some fans stopped.
Now this could lead to a major disaster, but fortunately, the fan on my 6800GT was still running.
But....case fan stopped. Shouldn't be worried.
CPU fan stopped! Aaahhh! Panic! Being a XP120 it has some potential in running passive, but i never dared trying it. And being a 3.0 Prescott only cooled by PSU fan is something i never dreamed of. The temp reported by sensor was a whopping 84°C!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
I thought it should've shut down at a lower temp but the pc was still running w/o problem. A bit warm though. :p Not that quiet though as my PSU fan probably ran at full speed. That unfamiliar sound caught my attention and perhaps saved some hw for me.
It really scared me that such a thing could happen w/o any fail safe mode with fans at full speed. It was a a terrible awakening but everything is as it was before. But my trust in the T-balancer is somewhat diminished. :(

Just thought i should mention that it can happen.
Perhaps someone here has the same experience? Not necessesarily with the T-Balancer.

BenW

Post by BenW » Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:58 am

That reading could be totally wrong

Only way you will really know is by putting a temperature probe on it

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:01 am

Hi Peterson,

I reported of similar problems in the T-Balancer review thread... Makes you wonder if there is actually something wrong with these things. :?

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=15688

peterson

Post by peterson » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:48 am

BenW wrote:That reading could be totally wrong

Only way you will really know is by putting a temperature probe on it
Could be, but it's the only info i have and i will not simulate it again. :P

And Aleksi. Thanks i hadn't read that topic. I considered installing my old rheobus again. It's fairly fail safe. ;)

hazindu

Post by hazindu » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:28 am

that tempurature really isn't all that bad for a prescot. I should throttle down to avoid damage.

jojo4u

Post by jojo4u » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:21 am

THG demonstrated a long time ago how they removed the heatsink from a P4 and the running 3d game just froze after some shuttering. So the throttling is working quite well. You don't have to be worried about the CPU.

Btw, my max controlled temperature is 95°C with my Palomino ;)