FX-57 temperatures

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

teapot

FX-57 temperatures

Post by teapot » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:33 pm

Does anyone know what temperatures can be expected from this processor. I am getting a load temperature of 59 degrees (prime95). I'm using a xp-120 heatsink with an akasa quiet 120mm fan in a suck configuration (which according to review doesn't make much difference. I think 59 might be a little hot, I have re-mounted the the heatsink sticking as closely as I could to the artic silver instructions but it still seems like its running a little hot. I noticed some scratches from previos mounting (it rather awkwardly doesn't go on flat but has to be hinged on), but these are pretty much limited to the boundary of the heatspreader on the heatsink. Is this a bit toasty?

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:07 pm

A bit toasty, yes, but probably safe. Also keep in mind that temperatures should drop slightly as the thermal paste burns in.

Have you tried flipping the CPU fan so that it's blowing air over the XP-120? Even if it doesn't lower CPU temperatures, it should keep the motherboard components, motherboard chipset, and memory cooler.

cotdt

Post by cotdt » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:10 pm

depends on your motherboard. if it's an abit motherboard then you've got nothing to worry about since those overreport temps.

teapot

Post by teapot » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:36 pm

I have foolishly mislabelled the temperature sensors, and in fact it is my northbridge that heads up to the 60s, which (provided its accurate) is perfectly fine.

The cpu is sitting at 52 degrees on full load, which is I'm quite happy with, particularly as the arctic silver hasn't aligned itself yet. It is probably no bad thing that I have rather excessively polished the and set the interface I suppose even if it was under a false presumption! With a bit of a luck the core temperature may even settle to sub-50 which is in line with at least one source (49). Anyway, not to obsess, quieter not cooler. I may try running it without the 120mm fan and just a ducted 80mm. However, my graphics card is louder than any of the nice akasa fans I'm using so it might be a pointless exercise.

This may still be a useful thread for people to post the temperature of their FX-57s with different coolers etc. I am using a Lanparty UT sli-dr, with thermalright xp-120, and a lian-li pc60 plus, also broke.

I tried the fan both orientations (suck and blow), and it almost no difference (1 degree lower for blow, perhaps). As I have a ducted 80 mm sucking right on top of the 120mm fan on the heatsink it makes much more sense to have the fan blowing into the duct rather than fighting it blowing away.

Good cooler though.

thanks for suggestions, even though they are probably no longer relevant!

oakdad

Post by oakdad » Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:33 am

Don't forget to enable your cool n quite that dropped my temps down about 5c.

vertigo

Post by vertigo » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:52 am

A suck configuration has distinct benefits. If you take care that the hot air goes straight out the case (by having the CFM of the exhaust fan greater than the CFM of the cpu fan) the motherboard components around there run much cooler. Ram heatsinks, for instance, are typically needed because hot air from a blowing cpu fan heats up the memory. In a good suck configuration, the memory stays much cooler.

In a suck configuration, even if the cpu temperature goes up 1 or 2 degrees it is usually worth it, for having other cooler running components. I actually prefer the XP/90 to the XP/120, because if you want to run a Nexus case fan as slow as possible, with the XP/120 you can't get a lower airflow for the suck configuration. In those cases, the suck config wouldn't show its benefit, and you would assume it didn't make a difference.

I use the XP/90 with an 80mm fan, and the CFM of that fan @ 5v is probably 30% of the Nexus case fan @7v. So the case fan is sucking cold air besides, and the whole system runs very cool.