Q-fan with Zalman?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

RaferX

Q-fan with Zalman?

Post by RaferX » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:11 pm

Please forgive me if this has been answered before somewhere…

I have an Athlon 64 3500 on an Asus A8V Deluxe. I would like to replace the Athlon's stock (noisy) heatsink with a quieter unit -- I'm looking at the Zalman 7000B-AlCu. The question is: Will I be OK if I just install the Zalman and plug the fan into the same fan socket as the current stock HSF… AND continue to use Cool'n'Quiet and Q-Fan, which seem to be working fine so far? Or do I need some other way of controlling the fan speed? Like everybody, I want the machine to be quiet when I'm working, but I want the fan to crank up under gaming loads.

Thanks!

vertigo

Post by vertigo » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:19 pm

I would always recommend the XP/90 with a suck fan, it is the perfect fanned heatsink combo. Of course you must run a case fan exhausting nearby. It's also nice because you can choose a quiet fan to use.

But I am sure the Zalman will be fine with Q-fan enabled.

Ravlen

Post by Ravlen » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:37 pm

I have the exact same setup as you, 3500 with A8V Deluxe. I'm thinking of getting a Freezer 64 instead of the Zalman. Seems to perform just as well, in both cooling and quietness than the Zalman, but is cheaper and easier to install. Might want to check it out.

(The Freezer 4 is nearly identical to the Freezer 64, it is just for Intel instead of AMD)
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article223-page1.html

Ravlen

fjf

fan

Post by fjf » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:32 am

I have the xp-90 with a 90 mm papst fan, t-balanced and not spinning most of the time (on an athlon64 3500). It works great. I don't like those other coolers with non-standard fans; when the fan becomes noisy (it happens sooner or later) you have nothing to replace it with.

Regards.

nina

Post by nina » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:22 pm

I'm using the 7000B-Cu. If you connect it straight to your MB
without the fanmate, you can use Q-Fan etc.
But I suggest using the fanmate, put it silent and disable Q-Fan
and cool'n quiet. Monitor the temps with a program like hmonitor or
similar. If the temps are okay, leave it like that.
Otherwise raise the rpm a bit with the fanmate.

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:25 am

My suggestion is to get the Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu, leave Q-Fan and Cool 'n' Quiet on, use the same fan header as the stock HSF and put the Fan Mate to the cable set at max. setting.

Result: IIRC, Q-Fan is able to change the voltage between 7-12V. Using the Fan Mate results in a voltage drop of (approximately) 1,5V to the fan, so the fan gets about 5,5-10,5V. If the computer seems too loud when gaming, adjust the max. allowed voltage with the Fan Mate. Adjusting will affect only the upper voltage limit.

Cheers,

Jan

RaferX

Thanks all!

Post by RaferX » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:34 pm

Thanks all for the advice! Will do the HSF swap in a weekend or 2. I'll probably go with Kivar's advice -- FanMate PLUS Q-Fan. That way i have maxium potential for tweaking. :)