TIM application during Ninja installation

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

clarkkent333

TIM application during Ninja installation

Post by clarkkent333 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:25 pm

How the hell are you supposed to apply an even layer of TIM when the Ninja pressures on the CPU like it does? I'm having a bitch of a time trying to keep my application untouched and install the Ninja without bending the fins to high hell. Did anyone else have a problem with this? How about a solution?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:18 am

You should only have an extremely thin layer of TIM on the CPU anyway, so there's actually very little of it left to get "squoze out" (:shock:) during heatsink installation.

I do the Ninja just like all other giant heatsinks: With the HS at an angle, hook the offside clips over the retention bracket, then rotate the HS down to level, keeping heavy pressure on it with one hand. Use the other hand (as a screwdriver holder :) ) to clip the second set of clips onto the retention bracket.

**Note that the "secret" here is rotating the HS down to flat, and holding it in place with firm pressure while fastening the second set of clips.**

clarkkent333

Post by clarkkent333 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:23 am

getting the layer of TIM thin isn't the problem. It's keeping it that way. When I clip on the first side of the Ninja and lower it down the heatsink invariably smudges up the TIM. I can't seem to manage it without getting the TIM smugded. I'm on a 939 if that matters.

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:19 pm

I just put mine on a Socket 775. I opened the clips all the way and I was able to set it right down on the cpu flat. Then clipped in opposite corners to keep it flat. Then I did the other opposite corners.

nina

Post by nina » Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:03 pm

I installed a ninja yesterday on a socket 478.
I didn't remove the motherboard out of the case..
It was difficult but I managed. Some fins were bended a little, but
it was easy to bend them again in place.
I first hooked two clips, placed the ninja flat and steady,
and tried to hook the others with my fingers, but didn't succeed.
Than I used a small long screwdriver which fitted the small hole above the other two clips, used just enough pressure to be able to hook the clips.
Pretty easy with the long screwdriver in between the fins.
This should be mentioned in the manual.

Mounting the fan on it was more difficult, but I did it.

I really love this Ninja, better temps and airflow.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:06 pm

Generally, I just apply a small blob, take a razer blade to spread it out somewhat, put the heatsink on, turn it a few times around to squish it out a bit then seat the heatsink.

mr_plow_king

Post by mr_plow_king » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:11 pm

If you spread the TIM yourself before putting the heatsink, air bubbles can remain.

I prefer the ActicSilver way, placing an some TIM on the center of the CPU (like an uncooked rice grain) and then let the heatsink pressure spreat it.