Zalman 9500 = jet landing

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

twylight777

Zalman 9500 = jet landing

Post by twylight777 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:07 pm

I have built some quiet gaming rigs - usally P180 + the older Zalman CPU fans and lowering the voltage on the stock fans in the case, Zalman GPU fan.

So I was building a new rig - saw the 9500 at the local shop and bought it.

I CAN NOT get this thing to be even remotely silent. If I run lower voltage to it I cant get it to spin - with the regular volatge on the lowest stock setting its louder than anything I have used in a while. I am using the stock fan controller.

Any ideas on how to get this thing to go slower than the standard config.

My 7700 ones are very quiet - this thing is a vacuum cleaner. I checked it out - its not bearing noise or a defect - the little fan just isnt going slow enough.

I am running a X2 4800+ plus its running very cold so I have some room to play with. (like 40c it said last night after a nice FEAR session).

You will not be happy with this fan out of the box if you like quiet. Unless I am just completely missing something here...

thanks
worth

mr_plow_king

Post by mr_plow_king » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:34 pm

Like Devon Cooke and Mike Chin said in thier 9500 review ( http://www.silentpcreview.com/article267-page5.html ), the 9500 is louder than the 7700. 37 dBA/1m at 12v is very loud. I think you should try to change the fan, maybe use a Nexus 92mm instead of the stock fan

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:47 pm

I own the 9500...and I tried a fan swap with a panaflo L1BX, and...the panaflo was louder. I'm assuming it's just bad luck, but the panaflo has some horrid bearing noise at 7v and up, at 5 it's inaudible, but i had to swap it back to the zalman fan since just recently it stopped starting at 5v.

I had a chance to run the stock fan when it was disconnected from the heat sink, and i had to get pretty close to it to hear it over the ambient noise in my apartment. And I am pretty anal about noise.

When I ran the fan, i had all but the psu fan disconnected in the system, so the only noise I was hearing was from the zalman, and I gotta say, it's pretty quiet. Anything above the lowest fanmate setting is hell, but otherwise, not noticeable by itself. At least, that's my experience.

Mystr_Byrnz

Post by Mystr_Byrnz » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:08 pm

I have the cooler as well, and on the lowest fanmate setting it cools better than my cnps7000 and is quieter. I can barely hear it.

I agree. On high speed it is very loud.

I'm thinking maybe you got a bad fan if you cannot lower its speed.