Sharkoon Red Shock: A massive all-copper heatpipe cooler

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Slaugh

Sharkoon Red Shock: A massive all-copper heatpipe cooler

Post by Slaugh » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:36 pm

Sharkoon developed a new heatpipe cooler that is completely made of copper: the Red Shock. This one has 4 heatpipes, a "massive" heatsink, and allows you to mount any 80, 92 or 120mm fan for additional cooling. It originally comes without a fan, like ThermalRight coolers. It supports all current Pentium 4 and Athlon 64 processors.

I heard on Frosty Tech that this cooler is weighting an impressive 820 grams! :shock: Hmmm... Not sure it's a good idea to put such a heavy cooler inside a regular case... Any volunteer to try it out? :lol: Perhaps a desktop case would be more suitable (and safe) for a beast like that!

EndoSteel

Post by EndoSteel » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:44 am

Slaugh
Hmmm... Not sure it's a good idea to put such a heavy cooler inside a regular case... Any volunteer to try it out?
CM Hyper 6 weighs a bit less than a kilo, not to mention it's a 'tower' design. And I've never heard about anyone having problems with it. BTW, find a dead mobo and try to break it in two with your hands - I guess you would be surprised :).

nici

Post by nici » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:42 am

EndoSteel wrote: BTW, find a dead mobo and try to break it in two with your hands - I guess you would be surprised :).
You might not be able to break the mobo in half, but you probably will break a connection or loosen a component somewhere.

Oh yeah, check my thread in Off Topic/Not Silent and look what heavy ccoolers can do If you happen to accidentally drop your case... :lol: One CPU with a load of bent pins wich i spent hours straightening and eventually got working, and one broken GPU. No pictures because i broke my camera.

Ah what the hell, ill give you a direct link.. :lol: http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=26494

EndoSteel

Post by EndoSteel » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:49 am

nici
I don't think _any_ PC would survive if you drop it on the floor Image.

Elixer

Post by Elixer » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:40 pm

820 grams is really not that bad for chips that have heatspreaders. It looks relatively low profile, so the torsion force will be less on the motherboard than many of these new tower heatsinks. Oh, and my pc has survived a fall off my desk onto the floor (thank you drunk person). It had a Zalman 7000AlCu in it which is 50% heavier than the maximum weight recommended by AMD for socket A (which is what I have). It worked no problem afterward and I didn't even have to re-do anything. Of course, I may just be lucky.

Ackelind

Post by Ackelind » Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:59 pm

Does anyone actually have any experience with heavy coolers breaking the motherboard?

I've heard this over and over from people why you should choose lightweight coolers, but I've never actually never heard anyone breaking their board or even chipping their CPU!

wainwra
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by wainwra » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:04 pm

Elixer wrote:Oh, and my pc has survived a fall off my desk onto the floor
I once had a machine (an IBM PS/2 model 80, a very early tower system) which was standing upright on a ledge, next to the windows and four feet above the floor. A terrorist bomb went off (this was in the city of London), all the windows around were blown in, and the PS/2 was hurled down onto the floor.

The PSU needed replacing, but everything else was fine.

Oh, and er, this is on-topic because, er it shows how much more robust PCs are if they have no HSF or heavy GPU card...