Recommended Heatsinks user update.

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mk

Recommended Heatsinks user update.

Post by mk » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:04 am

Hi all

I just checked the Recommended Heatsinks section. Quite a few new heatsinks has hit the marked since the last update. I wonder if we all together could do sort of a user update?

This is the list (top 10) as it looks now:
Thermalright XP-120
Zalman 7700AlCu
Thermalright XP-90
Zalman 7000/A, both Cu & AlCu
Thermalright SP-94
Thermalright SP-97
Coolermaster Hyper 48
Scythe FCS-50
Thermalright SLK-900A
Swiftech MCX478-V & MCX462-V
Here is some of the heatsinks that I would like to see on the list:

Sycthe Ninja
Zalman CNPS9500
Thermaltake Big Typhoon
Thermaltake Sonic Tower

(please ad other heatsinks if relevant)

I am unsure how thees heatsinks rank so where do you think that they fit in on the list?

mikellpp

Post by mikellpp » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:28 am

I think the Ninja, Zalman 9500 and Big Typhoon go right to the top of the list for cooling and quietness. Xbitlabs has a good review of these 3:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cooler ... -cool.html

I have replaced my xp-90 with a Big Typhoon and it is quieter and cooler. As always determining what is the best cpu cooler is a trade off in performance, price, noise, ease of installation and the type of case cooling used.

justblair

Post by justblair » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:28 am

I dont know where it goes on the list (high if you believe the comparisons from other sites) but yes the big typhoon must be up there.

Its big and brutal, but the fan (yate loon 12cm) on it is very quiet at full speed (1300rpm) and almost silent at 800rpm. I have one sitting beside me in open air at the moment. At the lowest speeds its almost inaudable from 1m. At these lower speeds it is capable of cooling a 2100 pally (75w std) overclocked by 200mhz down to 30c on full load.

Only problem with it might me if your motherboard places the cpu socket close to the edge. My abit nf7 leaves the typhoon overhanging the board by about 2cm. I had modify the case that I am putting it in to give the extra clearance (not a particularly hard mod photos soon in the gallery) If your cpu socket is more than 2cm from the edge of the board then happy days.

Oh yes and price wise (at least in the UK) this cooler gives a lot of bang for the buck. I paid about 23gbp for mine, which considering the fact it offers such high performance and includes a high quality fan puts it above the thermalright on the chart.

Thermaltake (thermalfake?) are often guilty of poor designs that look pretty but often fail to live up to the manufacturers claims. This cooler though is well worth a place in the toplist.

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:34 am

I'd add:

Cooler Master Hyper 6+

and

Zalman Fatality FS-C77

Hyper 6+ has gotten VERY Good reviews against the new and reigning champs in various test. Here's just one:

(Lepo = idle, Rasitus = Load).

And it usually beats the acoustic measurements too.

Also, the Fatality cooler, although not nearly the best cooler in terms of cpu cooling efficiency, is efficient for the PWM and component area cooling:

This of course holds true for other downward blowing cooler/fan orientations as well (like XP-120).

I know what rap Coolermaster has in this forum and I think it's mostly deserved.

Regardless, Hyper 6+ appears to be a solid contender for those looking at a silent, but efficient cpu heatsink.

Mats

Post by Mats » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:16 am

halcyon wrote:I'd add:
Zalman Fatality FS-C77
That's a CNPS7700 with LED's.