Best fan combo with the Scythe Ninja?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

djnotepad

Best fan combo with the Scythe Ninja?

Post by djnotepad » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:16 am

Can someone recommend the best fan to use with the ninja? Seems like alot of people are going with the Nexus. What are some of the opinions out there?

I tried using one of the 120mm fans that can with my antec p180, (the bottom chamber fan) but the thing is to darn big at 38mm width :(

ckolivas

Post by ckolivas » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:35 am

Welcome to SPCR!
The Nexus is particularly popular here because for virtually all cpus you can adequately cool them with the Ninja at ultra low flows and the Nexus works well over the 5-12V range and has good reliable quiet properties. There's only one theoretical issue - the Nexus is a sleeve bearing fan. There is a theoretical advantage to using a ball bearing fan on a heatsink because the extra heat means a sleeve bearing fan will have a significantly shorter life span than the ball bearing fan. Also sleeve bearing fans fail silently and just stop whereas ball bearing fans get noisy and squeaky before failing loudly giving you plenty of warning. In practice, though, a Nexus will last as long as you're likely to use this heatsink/fan combo. Highly recommended and I have seen it effectively cool even a pentiumD (hottest cpus ever) undervolted!

Ackelind

Post by Ackelind » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:08 am

The Scythe Ninja is so big, that it will never get any "concentrated" heat. My heatsink, when the processor is running at full throttole, is just above luke warm. I can touch it without burning me, it just feels nice and comfortable. I seriously doubt that this "heat" would cause any damage, since it is so spread out on the heatsink.

djnotepad

Post by djnotepad » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:29 am

thanks for the replies everyone, are there any other opinions?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:08 am

djnotepad wrote:thanks for the replies everyone, are there any other opinions?
Nexus at 5-7V.

PositiveSpin

Post by PositiveSpin » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:55 pm

While we're talking about the Ninja and attaching a Nexus, does anyone else have a problem with the new wire clips? I'm concerned that the clips are not lying smoothly in the cutaways on the fins - top and bottom are engaged, but the clip bows in the middle.

The new wire clips at the ones designed to clip to the back of the fan - you don't have to cut away the plastic of the Nexus any more.

computergeek22

Post by computergeek22 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:35 pm

On the same topic, if I have a tricool and a nexus blowing air onto the scythe. Is it bad for airflow to only have the top exhaust tricool on "low". That would mean the combined airflow of the two fans (nexus and one tricool) would be 70cfm while the exhuast would merely be 28cfm. I shouldn't do this right and if I do this would it be wise to have a front EXHAUST instead of a front INTAKE?

hravn

Post by hravn » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:32 am

PositiveSpin wrote:While we're talking about the Ninja and attaching a Nexus, does anyone else have a problem with the new wire clips? I'm concerned that the clips are not lying smoothly in the cutaways on the fins - top and bottom are engaged, but the clip bows in the middle.

The new wire clips at the ones designed to clip to the back of the fan - you don't have to cut away the plastic of the Nexus any more.
YES. It's impossible to attach those damn clips, took me 30 minutes of swearing to get them even half decently attached. And they still aren't completely secure on one side.

Bar81

Post by Bar81 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:56 am

The clips are crap but they do their job. The Ninja works extremely well in a P180 case with a 5v Nexus fan blowing across it to the back of the case and another 5v Nexus fan doing exhaust duties.

djnotepad

Post by djnotepad » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:18 am

computergeek22 wrote:On the same topic, if I have a tricool and a nexus blowing air onto the scythe. Is it bad for airflow to only have the top exhaust tricool on "low". That would mean the combined airflow of the two fans (nexus and one tricool) would be 70cfm while the exhuast would merely be 28cfm. I shouldn't do this right and if I do this would it be wise to have a front EXHAUST instead of a front INTAKE?
can anyone speak to this issue? I plan on having a nexus blow out across the ninja, and have the tricool in the back on low, and the top off.

miks2u
Patron of SPCR

Post by miks2u » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:02 am

My new P180 build has a Ninja on a Pentium D 830, aka 3.0ghz dual core prescott. CPUs don't come too much hotter than that :) I'm running it with the top fan removed and Yate Loons on the ninja and in the back. I've settled on running ~1000 RPMs on both, temps rarely go above 60. Probably I could tune it down some more, just haven't taken the time so far.

guava

Post by guava » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:21 am

hravn wrote:
PositiveSpin wrote:While we're talking about the Ninja and attaching a Nexus, does anyone else have a problem with the new wire clips? I'm concerned that the clips are not lying smoothly in the cutaways on the fins - top and bottom are engaged, but the clip bows in the middle.

YES. It's impossible to attach those damn clips, took me 30 minutes of swearing to get them even half decently attached. And they still aren't completely secure on one side.
The fan clips are definitely the weak point of the Ninja's design. I ditched them altogether after struggling with them for a half hour. What I finally settled on was to use some 1mm monofilament elastic bead thread (found in any craft store - similar to StretchMagic) and tie 2 loops of it through my YL-D12SL. The loops were tied so that one goes from the top left through the bottom left mounting holes, and the other does the same on the right. I made them tight enough so they stay flat against the fan's frame when not mounted on the ninja. Then I just stretched the monofilament to where the metal clips would go, and now all of the fins are engaged and the fan feels very secure. An additional advantage of the elastic is that you can slightly adjust the position of the fan after it is mounted - this came in handy for me to clear my RAM. If I were you I would use the thicker bead thread - it's only plastic, and the thinner variety might get sliced by the sharp edges of the Ninja's fins.

hravn

Post by hravn » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:52 pm

Hmm, interesting.. I might try something like that when I have to remove the Ninja when I get my Neo HE replacement.

FrankDC

Post by FrankDC » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:09 am

It's really disappointing Scythe didn't put a little more design effort into the Ninja's fan mount. It's the one consistent complaint I've seen about an otherwise great cooler. How much effort would it have taken to come up with a simple thin frame with four screw holes on each side? I could build one from scratch in about 30 minutes.

Weldingheart

Post by Weldingheart » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:18 am

you can make DIY clip with 1mm stainless steel wire that empirically could be more convenience to install&uninstall the fan. DIY clip can accomodate 38mm fan,but I think it's overkill.

I made a pair of clip on the left(holds Adda AD12LB-A71GL fan),
where on the right(holds Aerocool Turbine)is the original clips(bend on the middle)
http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/5070 ... ed13zb.jpg (no,I don't use any fan on it in a real life :D )

but the Turbine is a nice quiet fan alternative to Nexus if you like BLING

EDIT:38mm fan