Torn between Zalman 9500, XP-120, XP-90, & XP-90C

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ocelot

Torn between Zalman 9500, XP-120, XP-90, & XP-90C

Post by Ocelot » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:18 am

My old homebrew setup is slowly dying (and painfully out-of-date, technology-wise), so I'm beginning the process of building a new machine, seeking a balance between low-noise and good system cooling. Here's what I want to put into it so far (not counting current still-useable parts I intend to cannibalize from my current system to keep costs down):

AMD Athlon 4200+ X2
Abit AN8 Ultra
Antec P150
eVGA GeForce 6600GT w/ Zalman VF-700Cu added
Nexus 92mm and 120mm case fans (w/ quiet mounting)

I'm torn between the following CPU heatsinks for the following reasons:

1) Zalman 9500: like the structure of the fan blowing heat toward back case exhaust fan, plus efficient heat conduction via copper. SPCR review of relatively loud stock fan makes me wonder if Thermalrights might be better alternatives, especially since I don't have time or inclination to do a fan switch.
Additionally, on the AN8 Ultra, the Zalman will provide direct cooling of the MOSFETs and the Q-OTES.

2) XP-120: top of the list of SPCR recommended heatsinks, light in weight, and can use quiet, Nexus 120mm fan. Loss of the Zalman's heat exhausting method due to different structure. Concerned about size interference vis a vis Antec case + mobo choice, and, on a lesser scale, efficiency of aluminum vs. copper heat conduction.

3) XP-90: smaller than XP-120, so size concerns allayed, and has same benefits as its "big brother." Concern here is cooling effectiveness, and would it be enough for the system I intend to build. Same question about aluminum vs. copper heat conduction.

4) XP-90C: trades weight for better heat conduction through solid copper, but is it necessary for my proposed system?

I plan on using the new system primarily for writing and webpage construction, with some games along the lines of Myst IV and V, and likely some the of newer sports games that hubby enjoys. I'd like to try running the system with CnQ, depending on stability. The OS would be Win XP Pro, since I need the machine to accomplish tasks and don't have the leisure to learn a new OS at this time.

So, I throw it out to all SPCR members: give me your best recommendation, so I can get all my microchips in a row and start purchasing components. I appreciate any and all feedback.

Purrs --
--
Ocelot

marcosv

Post by marcosv » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:07 am

I also considered all of the options you listed. I went with the XP-90C.

The Zalman 9500 looked good, except I don't like the fan option. Changing that fan is more than what I want to get involved with.

I tried a XP-120 and found that while it fits in my P-180 case, it's just too big for me to want to deal with mounting the motherboard with it already attached. If I want something that big, I might as well go all the way and stick in a Ninja.

I also like how easy it is to swap fans on the XP-90C without removing the heat sink. That was a major plus as I tried to balance noise vs. cooling capability.

The XP-90C probably doesn't perform that much better than a XP-90, but, what the heck.

David Cole

Post by David Cole » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:52 am

I have just put a system together based round an Athlon x2 4400 and Asus 8N32-SLI Deluxe. I opted for a Zalman 9500 to cool the cpu. This was a mistake. The fan definitely has an element of mechanical noise (a bit of sizzle) even at the lowest fanmate setting. I didn't want to get into making a fan switch on the 9500 so have decided to replace it with an XP90. I can't finish this account because I don't yet have the XP90, but my hope is that I will be able to use a Zalman bracket - http://www.zalman.co.kr/ - to suspend a 92mm fan (or possibly two fans, particularly in the summer) above it. I already like the 92mm Acoustifans which are very quiet and much prefer the flexibility of being able to try different fans easily on the bracket. I also want to be able to use two coolers to provide some cool air for the motherboard too - this is easy with the Zalman bracket provided there is enough clearance over the top of the XP90; I have found two fanmated Acoustifans to be very quiet and certainly less noticeable than the 9500.
Anyway, I would avoid the Zalman 9500 if you want a really quiet computer and don't want to change the 9500's fan.

David

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:18 pm

[quote="I can't finish this account because I don't yet have the XP90, but my hope is that I will be able to use a Zalman bracket - http://www.zalman.co.kr/ - to suspend a 92mm fan (or possibly two fans, particularly in the summer) above it. I already like the 92mm Acoustifans which are very quiet and much prefer the flexibility of being able to try different fans easily on the bracket. I also want to be able to use two coolers to provide some cool air for the motherboard too.
David[/quote]

I think you'll find it quicker and easier to change the fan on the XP-90, using the wire clips, than changing fans on the Zalman bracket. Further, with the XP-90 fan blowing down, there will be no need for other fans to cool the motherboard. It takes me about 5-10 seconds to remove a fan from my XP-90s, and about 10-15 seconds to install a replacement. And I work slowly on purpose. :wink:

David Cole

Post by David Cole » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:49 pm

That's interesting. Thanks.

Ocelot

Post by Ocelot » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:01 pm

I'm leaning (with great tilt :wink: ) toward the XP-90C at this point. It's probably what I'll go with since I'm running out of life on my current machine. Likely just enough left to order parts. :cry: It served me well, loyal Athlon 700MHz. You'll be remembered.

Let's see, that means I need one more 92mm Nexus. Right. (scribbles on parts list) Now, hopefully, I won't have a DOA PSU when my P150 arrives. Amazing how shippers seem blind to that f-word: fragile. :?

Thanks for everyone's feedback. Much appreciated.

Ode to my dying computer --
--
Ocelot

David Cole

Post by David Cole » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:03 am

Just an update. I fitted the XP90 and using the Zalman bracket with a new Acoustifan 92mm and Nexus 92mm I was getting temperatures I wasn't happy with, and having to turn up the cpu fan (the Acoustifan) to avoid fan alarms from the bios and thereby increasing noise. I will try the XP90 as it is supposed to be used , with the fan on top, but for the time being I've gone back to the 9500 and an additional fan to cool the motherboard. Temps are now fine and I'll live with the additional noise for the time being.

David

Atragon

Post by Atragon » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:49 pm

Personally, I'd highly recommend either the Scythe Ninja or the XP-120, both of which work extremely well with the nexus 120mm fans.

According to my CPU's diode temperature, my 3000+ (downclocked to 1.4 atm) is running at a max of 30 deg C under full load, ambiant air somewhere between 15 and 18 deg c. (that's with an XP-120)

Ocelot

Post by Ocelot » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:17 pm

With the P150, though, the case I'm using for my build, heatsink size could be an issue. I doubt that the Scythe Ninja would fit, and besides, that's 620g! :shock: Even if most of the weight is at the base, that's still a very heavy heatsink. The XP-120 doesn't have the weight issue, but I do believe it's considered a very tight fit on an Abit AN8 Ultra in a P150. (The weight issue is why I'm going with an XP-90 instead of an XP-90C--copper is be-oo-ti-ful but just too darn heavy.)

Besides, I'm not going to overclock this new machine, just expect it to do its job and do it well with stability. The XP-90 is easy to install on the mobo and performs with respectable cooling without carrying the caveats of the larger heatsinks. It'll do me just fine. :wink:

But (sigh), I had other uses for this money had my old system still carried on. At least for a few more months. Oh, well. C'est la computer vie.

Purrs --
--
Ocelot

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Update Please

Post by Firetech » Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:37 pm

Ocelot and David Cole, please update this thread when you both get your XP-90's & Nexus (Nexii?) fitted.
I'm in the same situation with deciding : XP-120 & Nexus versus XP-90 & Nexus.

Its's strange that the 92mm is actually rated as quieter than the 120mm. But, is the 120mm ultimately going to be quieter because it can be run at 5v unlike the 92mm :?
Sorry, thinking out loud.....

kogi

Post by kogi » Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:23 pm

Whats wrong with the Scyth Ninja?
I've had both xp-120 and the ninja. Prefer the ninja in terms of fit and performance

kogi

fizzy

Post by fizzy » Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:44 pm

FWIW I have an Antec P150 with a Scythe Ninja. It is snug but fits nicely (no mods or hacking needed). I am running it with only the 120mm case fan (which is 2 inches from the heat sink) but have also run it with another 120mm fan on the heatsink with minimal difference in cpu diode temps (2 to 4 degrees if my memory serves corectly)...

All this is with a 3Ghz P4 on an Asus P4P800 Mobo...

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Scyth Ninja

Post by Firetech » Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:11 am

kogi wrote:Whats wrong with the Scyth Ninja?
I've had both xp-120 and the ninja. Prefer the ninja in terms of fit and performance
kogi
Probably nothing but my perception of it!
When I visualise it I see a tall, heavy-ish (665g?) weight hanging off my motherboard and causing future drama's. This perception was recently re-inforced by the SPCR pic of the Thermalright HR-01 bending off the review motherboard.... :shock:
After reading the 'Ninja review' & thread again, even MikeC and Ralf Hutter had a split decision between the Ninja & XP-120...

Feel free to persuade me guys, the fanless Ninja would save me some money. :wink:

[EDIT] re-read thread

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Post by Cams » Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:32 am

I just ordered a Scythe Ninja and a P150. I was deliberating over the XP90c as well, but in the end decided to go try the Ninja.

Fingers crossed!

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Mmmmm

Post by Firetech » Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:43 am

Cams wrote:I just ordered a Scythe Ninja
Fingers crossed!
Hi Cams, I've been doing more research since my last post and have come to a similar conclusion (except the P150 bit!).
Thermalright coolers seem to be comparitively over-priced here in Oz (AU$99+) :? so I'll probably try the Scythe Ninja (AU$69) in my existing case, which has similar fan placement I think.
The canny Scot in me also considered the AC Freezer 64 Pro @ AU$45 :wink:

Happy Hogmanay when it comes 8)

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Re: Mmmmm

Post by Cams » Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:57 pm

Firetech wrote:Happy Hogmanay when it comes 8)
Cheers pal. You too. I can't imagine celebrating on Hogmanay in summer temps. It just wouldny be right!

As for the P150, the P180 would be too big for the space or I'd have gone for that. I don't really need the PSU with the P150, but it's kinda nifty that you can remove unused power leads.

Cheers
Cams

Ocelot

'Cuz thassa mighty heavy sucka!

Post by Ocelot » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:11 pm

kogi wrote:Whats wrong with the Scyth Ninja?

kogi
Weight! The Ninja is 665g vs. 360g for the XP-90. No matter how you slice it, that's a lot of weight on a mobo. Plus, I don't intend to overclock my AMD 4200+ X2, so the efficiency of the XP-90 will work just fine.

I'm a little grumpy that my XP-90 (just received this afternoon; purchased from the Heatsink Factory) had two slightly bent fins and a spot of rust on another fin. :x Note to Thermalright: use some dessicant pouches! They aren't that expensive and they'll preserve your excellent products. Feh. :?

BTW, the XP-90 is only 10g less than the XP-120, and has a lesser width than its "big brother." However, it's still huge! Even larger than the stock AMD heatsink. Oh, and as I'm reading my various and sundry instruction booklets for my respective parts, I notice that AMD now states that if one uses any other heatsink than the stock, one voids the warranty for the CPU. :shock: Damn. Better get this installed right the first time, then.

I'm off to build a new computer (hi-ho!) --
--
Ocelot