SCNJ-1000 discontinued?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

HiFi

SCNJ-1000 discontinued?

Post by HiFi » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:19 pm

i just went to jab-tech to order it and guess what...it says discontinued and it instead wants me to buy the more expensive one with fan. whats up with that? i guess too many people burnt their cpu by improper use an cried to scythe so now they only sell it with a fan.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: SCNJ-1000 discontinued?

Post by nutball » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:37 pm

HiFi wrote:i guess too many people burnt their cpu by improper use an cried to scythe so now they only sell it with a fan.
...or scythe spotted a way to make an extra few bucks per cooler by making you buy a fan you don't really want!

victri

Post by victri » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:48 am

Yeah, they all come with the fan now. You should look around. I bought mine and there wasn't any price increase for the extra fan.

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:54 am

I concur with the second opinion. Demand is high, so they can make more money with a price increase. However, a price increase is bad PR...so this little tactic acheives the same effect without the bad PR.

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:47 am

victri wrote:Yeah, they all come with the fan now. You should look around. I bought mine and there wasn't any price increase for the extra fan.
Same here, but the salesman told me that prices would go up in following of the 'new added fan' in the package.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:30 pm

bobinho wrote:
victri wrote:Yeah, they all come with the fan now. You should look around. I bought mine and there wasn't any price increase for the extra fan.
Same here, but the salesman told me that prices would go up in following of the 'new added fan' in the package.
I think the topic of this thread is misleading. As the heatsink in itself is not discontinued, but they include a fan with it. I think this is old news anyway. The price increase here has been around 5e.

From what I have seen in reviews, the scythe fans have performed decently. Ninja is already a premium priced cooler. The extra fan shouldn't be a big issue for those that choose to buy it.

HiFi

Post by HiFi » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:16 pm

so i went ahead an bought the fanned one. but ill be replacing it with a nexus. a mod can edit the title of this thread if he wants.

diver

Post by diver » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:36 pm

Don't you have anything real to worry about?

So they throw in a fan that is not on the SPCR recommended list and raise the price $5.

I have one, its not a bad fan.

$5m OK one less big Mac.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:04 pm

So if they threw two fans in and raised the price by $10 that would be golden too would it? :?

It's not really the money that bugs me (I already live in a ripoff country, a Ninja here is ~US$70 shipped) it's the cynical attempt to extract more money out of me without giving me extra value (*my* definition of value, I'm the customer!). Like my cable provider adding the My Little Pony channel to my sports package and charging me an extra £5 per month for the privilege.

Oh well, there's always e-Bay :)

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:18 am

I think part of the reason to throw in the fan is to decrease any liability that might suffer from someone running it fully passive. Some people are saavy enough to be careful in assembling their system so this isn't an issue, but even if they aren't legally responsible for any chips frying due to the warning on the package, some people will still get on the line and blame Scythe for their dead CPU. Hence why I think they've thrown in the fan, so that anybody who wrecks their equipment will have only themselves to blame since the HS now includes active cooling.

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:31 am

What are the chances of a dead CPU, really? Even with no heatsink, a Pentium 4 will defend itself by throttling and even shutting down entirely before any permanent damage is done. Do AMD's 754/939 chips have similar self-defense measures?

Eunos
Friend of SPCR

Post by Eunos » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:50 pm

IsaacKuo wrote:What are the chances of a dead CPU, really? Even with no heatsink, a Pentium 4 will defend itself by throttling and even shutting down entirely before any permanent damage is done. Do AMD's 754/939 chips have similar self-defense measures?
My socket A AMD has overheated many times - it simply shuts down if it can't handle it. The first time was when I had a Zalman Reserator1 installed but the pump was switched off when I turned the PC on :oops: . It's still going (but for how long :lol: )!

diver

Post by diver » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:26 am

It's really about RMA's. Wih no fan in the box folks are naturally going to try it passive. If their machine does not have the right air flow pattern, or a hot CPU, they will not like the performance, so rather than shop for a fan the whole thing goes back under the usual 30 day return policy.

Captain John

Post by Captain John » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:34 am

All socket 478, 775, 754, 939 and 940 processors have thermal protection/throttling. Overheating shouldn't be an issue as they'll slow down and eventually shut down.

The Ninja isn't appropriate for a socket A, 370 or other earlier processor styles.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:49 am

Captain John wrote:All socket 478, 775, 754, 939 and 940 processors have thermal protection/throttling. Overheating shouldn't be an issue as they'll slow down and eventually shut down.

The Ninja isn't appropriate for a socket 370 or other earlier processor styles.
It would be perfectly fine for S370 PIII CPUs. They are thermally protected. They also put out little heat, making them fairly good candidates for passive cooling.

Captain John

Post by Captain John » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:00 am

"thermally protected"? how is this? They do not support thermal throttling as far as I can find (although they do have a die mounted thermal diode). Additionally, there's no out-of-the-box way to mount this on a P3. I know of very few P3 mainboards with through holes which would allow for someone to rig up some way to keep this HS attached. I can't imagine someone attempting to fashion a mechanism using the old socket 370 HS clip area.

I think P3 s could be made passively cooled much easier and cheaper than a Ninja.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:29 am

Captain John wrote:I know of very few P3 mainboards with through holes which would allow for someone to rig up some way to keep this HS attached. I can't imagine someone attempting to fashion a mechanism using the old socket 370 HS clip area.
You're quite correct, the Ninja won't physically fit. The point I was trying to make was that PIII's thermally throttle just like all the processors you listed. Guess I could have worded it better. :)