Cooler master passive heatpipe 3U cooler

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

multiplexorange

Cooler master passive heatpipe 3U cooler

Post by multiplexorange » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:06 am

Has anyone used this cooler or seen a review of this cooler? Cooler Master E3W-KPTXS-01. Its a passive heatpipe/fin cooler for 3U rackmount cases. If anyone has any information about his cooler please let me know. I Would like to know if it is any good. Here is a link and pic of one at a vendors website.

http://store.orbitmicro.com/commerce/ca ... ct_id=4432

Thanks.

EndoSteel

Post by EndoSteel » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:43 am

3U passive means case fans are required (rackmount servers cannot be mounted vertically :)). And quite a lot of them: 2mm fin spacing isn't quite a low-flow solution.

multiplexorange

Post by multiplexorange » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:52 am

That does make sense. But whats ironic is that most rackmount cases have crap for cooling fans.

signal64

Post by signal64 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:49 am

... rackmount cases have crap for cooling fans
Not any that are quiet anyway.

There are some cases with alot of cooling but are noisy has hell.

I get annoyed at the "Rackmount Cases are for Server Rooms and who cares how noisy those are" attitudes. But then again it's not everybody who has 19" cabinets in their home office/studio.

Right now I have two 3u and one 4u rackmount cases.

I got the 4u just because of the 3u hassels in getting a quiet fan solution.

If it matters, for the 3u I wound up using the Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu (the CNPS7000B-Cu wasn't out at that time) with a AMD64 3500 and AMD64 X2 3800. You'll still need to check if these will fit the motherboard as some memory slots can get in the way.

The 3u cases have x2 60mm exhaust fans and I added a slot fan with speed control.

In the end, I still need to work on the PSU as they are noisy. More so than the Zalman and exhaust fans combined. The case can't take a standard ATX PSU and came with their own PSU's with built in "Hey! You in the other room! Can you hear me?" fans.

The 4U I'm working on has x2 120mm Scythe intake fans installed in the drive bays (which means I have to use an external USB CD/DVD, but no big deal) and a Scythe Ninja with 120mm with a small modification to make it fit. For exhaust I have x2 Artic 3's 80mm fans and the Enermax Liberty which has it's own quiet 120mm. I'm still tuning but the noise level so far is very low.

All of the cases have swing doors with removable filters.

Let me know if you want more info.

Balthazar_B

Post by Balthazar_B » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:53 pm

Signal64:

I'm interested in how your 3u/4u project is turning out. I've been going back and forth on whether to set up separate media server and NAS boxes, and feel like I don't gain much that way, since I'll need to cool (and quiet) two boxes instead of one, and so now I'm leaning in the direction of putting together a media/file server with enough expandable storage to meet both needs. Looking at a Chenbro case (3u or 4u) or similar with some fan/PS work if necessary (and possible). I'll be close enough to living areas that I want to keep the sound down and run applications like SlimServer and MythTV. I figure if I can use a board with a mobile CPU (Merom?) I'll be helping myself. There aren't that many people oriented around rackmount silencing, so your experience would certainly be helpful.

Thanks!