Can a Zalman ZM17CU cool my Gainward Geforce3 ?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

drphibes

Can a Zalman ZM17CU cool my Gainward Geforce3 ?

Post by drphibes » Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:12 pm

I have an older Gainward "Powerpack" G3. It just a G3, not the Ti series. I want to keep using the card but I MOST DEFINITELY want to take off the fan and stomp on it until it breaks (lol). Can I cool this puppy with just the Zalman ZM17CU and no fan? Looks much simpler and cheaper than their heat pipe series coolers.

drphibes

quokked

Post by quokked » Thu Feb 06, 2003 11:16 pm

depends on what type of Geforce 3 it is, the faster geforce 3 series puts out a lot of heat, if u're trying to cool your Geforce 3 the Zalman ZM17Cu, i'd recommend a 80MM fan mounted at 90° angle to the Video card and running undervolted.... personaly though I'd recommend a Heatpipe cooler :)

bluehat

Re: Can a Zalman ZM17CU cool my Gainward Geforce3 ?

Post by bluehat » Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:07 am

Original gf3 produces lots of heat (but not as much as gf4). It can't be cooled with small heatsinks.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/product/cnpsvga2.htm

"Notes)
1)For GeForce 256 DDR, RADEON DDR, and higher classes of video cards, the ZM17-CU must be used with Zalman's FB165(www.zalman.co.kr/english/product/ cnpsvga3.htm)." fan is needed!

http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/product/zm50-hp.htm

" Notice before buying -

1) GeForce2 GTS/Ultra/Ti, GeForce3 Ti-XXX, GeForce4 Ti-XXXX, and ATI Radeon 8500 level video cards should be coupled with the ZM80-HP model instead." so you should get a 80-hp.

jhh

Post by jhh » Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:13 am

yep, a heatpipe cooler can be reused also when you upgrade the card, unlike the ones that need thermal adhesive

that is, providing they keep the holes the same :s

drphibes

Post by drphibes » Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:40 pm

Look like the Zalman ZM50-HP won't fit my Gainward G3. There is a small daughter card on the video card itself, running parallel to the vid card and extending about 1/3 of the way from the connecting edge. This small add-on card provides the TV out signal. Now, even though the daughter card does come off easily since it is secured merely by its plug-in connector on the vid card, the real problem for the ZM50 is on the right side of the card where the support chips have their own heat sink spanning the width of the card. That heatsink looks to me to rise up too far for the ZM50 to get around. I could pull off the daughter card and pry off the sink on the support chips, but hell, why butcher the card so?

Looks like the ZM80 corrects this design flaw by having higher clearance from the board itself. It's expensive though, don't you think?

drphibes