do NOT use AC's Freezer 64 Pro with AM2 socket!

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

QO

do NOT use AC's Freezer 64 Pro with AM2 socket!

Post by QO » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:17 pm

I bought an AC Freezer 64 Pro along with an Asus M2N-E motherboard yesterday. AC's website claims compatibility. It's true that you can put it on but it snapped a piece of plastic off of the AM2 retention bracket after a few hours. So far the Freezer has broken 2 retention brackets. I really suggest against using it!..I'm so mad, the computer store I went to took a bracket from their stock and replaced one already. I doubt if they would replace the second one right away. I'm sooo mad and dissappointed at Arctic Cooling. :(

vfrex

Post by vfrex » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:54 pm

Same board, cooler. No problem.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:13 am

I have used 2 mobos, and 2 AC Freezer Pro's, one GigaByte, one MSI, no problems.

Either you are doing something wrong, or the brackets are shyte, or the cooler retention has been mis-manufactured, and should be declared faulty.

If you bought both together from the same shop, I would suggest that you take both back together, and let them sort it out, chances are that thecooler is faulty, they dont put a huge amount of pressure onto the CPU, far less than my Ninja (an example).

Andy

PS: Its not cool to abuse a product until you know whats wrong, (unless its made by SilenX).

QO

Post by QO » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:41 am

I doubt I am installing it wrong. I took more care the second time to make sure everything was inserted properly before I clipped it in place.

It did feel fairly tight though, less than my Ninja but definitely not far less.

I've decided to take it back, eat the restocking fee and get an OCZ Tempest (Screws to the backplate)

I guess I was just frustrated because I'll probably need to wait sometime before the bracket will be replaced by the store's supplier? But now going the OCZ route, I won't even need it.

I think I'm done with Arctic Cooling for a little while though. I had one of their silencers for GPU before. It wasn't fun to install. It was a pain to make sure it was contacting properly. My Zalman VF700 and 900 was much easier.

The base of the Freezer was warped too. Either that or the CPU was warped because of the foot print of the thin layer of AS5 I applied didn't look good. AC's manufacturing just sucks....or it just treats me bad at anyrate...

functor

Post by functor » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:43 pm

I had the same problem.

I just bought Asus AM2 motherboard and Arctic Cooling's Freezer 64 Pro, and it snapped the plastic clip right off. I'm so mad! But slightly less mad to know I'm not the only one having problems.

Anyone know where I can get a new clip in Canada?

Gorsnak

Post by Gorsnak » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:49 pm

Not sure about standard am2 clips, but you can get the Thermalright rev.A and rev.B clips to convert to 939 and 775 mounts from ncix.com. I'm not sure if they're compatible with just any heatsink using those mounting standards, though.

ijozic

Post by ijozic » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:04 am

This sounds rather bad. Did it come right off or did it snap during use (and collapse on the graphics card)?

I was thinking of replacing that stock POS with Mini Typhoon (I'd change the fan, naturally) but it also clips at three points per side and AM2 has only one per side, plus it's even heavier. Anyone had bad experiences with those?

functor

Post by functor » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:17 am

It broke off during installation. It was just one of the little tabs that snapped off. The tiniest piece of plastic on the whole part, but without it, it's useless. .'/

hkcadcam

Post by hkcadcam » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:02 am

I think it isn't related to the CPU cooler, becasue the clip of AMD stock cooler is more tighten than Freezer of other after-maket cooler.

I also installed a Freezer pro 64 into my brother's PC, the pressure is smaller than the AMD stock cooler.

For, the broken hook issue, I think it is mainly casue by the cheap plastic of the module.
I suggest you RMA the motherboard, it is their false, they must be using some made in china cheap plastic to make the mounting module. :evil:

ijozic

Post by ijozic » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:08 pm

Hmm, if you don't want to hassle with the whole RMAing, there are AM2 brackets Thermalright sells for their coolers (revA and revB). They both have three clips per side like the 939 bracket, but RevB has some additional attachment points for their XP series of coolers which might obstruct some other coolers so I'd go for revA. I think they go for something like $3 or so.

ijozic

Post by ijozic » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:10 pm

hkcadcam wrote:I think it isn't related to the CPU cooler, becasue the clip of AMD stock cooler is more tighten than Freezer of other after-maket cooler.
Yeah, what's up with that? It's so tight (especially that lever you have to push down after mounting the clips) I made the whole installation twice because I thought I did something wrong.